Windows 10: How to get to old control panel in W10

Discus and support How to get to old control panel in W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now that I've got Win10,, I was looking around and clicking on stuff to see what was under the hood, I found that you can get to the Old Control Panel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xpac5896, Aug 11, 2015.

1. xpac5896 Win User

How to get to old control panel in W10

Now that I've got Win10,, I was looking around and clicking on stuff to see what was under the hood, I found that you can get to the Old Control Panel like in Win 7, problem is I don't remember how I got there. Can any one help me on this? I don't particularly care for the new Settings menu in 10 but I guess if there is't enough complaints about it, I guess were stuck with it. I do like 10, there are some issues but just like with new stuff, you get bugs.

:)

xpac5896, Aug 11, 2015

2. Get old updates window in Control Panel in Windows 10

ok thanks. At least you confirmed that this is indeed not a happy situation...otherwise I felt am just missing something.

I hope Microsoft listens.

Anyway if someone want to know, then there is a small tool that tries to provide some help. The tool is shared with me on my superuser thread

here
    . Dont know how much capable it is...Did not tried it much but seems good. Use it at your own risk.

Mahesha999, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Get old updates window in Control Panel in Windows 10

I have no idea how Microsoft will react to complaints from users regarding the lack of flexibility in the Windows 10 Update procedures.

If you do not opt to receive Microsoft product updates you may still download and install some updates directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog web site, thereby bypassing Windows Update. The problem then is knowing what is available:

Microsoft Update Catalog

If you opt into other Microsoft products you will receive what many see as a deluge of useless Microsoft apps!

It is not a happy situation!

Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 11, 2015
  4. vgchat Win User

Here you go.

How to get to old control panel in W10 [​IMG]

vgchat, Aug 11, 2015
  5. hattrik21 Win User
    Or you can click on the Start button and start typing Control Panel and then select it from the list.

hattrik21, Aug 11, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  7. cbwilsha Win User
    Or, just tell Cortana to "Open Control Panel". *Nerd

cbwilsha, Aug 11, 2015
  8. Traijan Win User

Right click on start button and choose control panel from the list. I've only had W10 for a little over a week but it's already become habit to me to right click the start button to access most of the more techy or admin related items.

Hmm, is that why I couldn't get it to tell me a joke? Because I have to ask it verbally through a mic?

Traijan, Aug 11, 2015
  9. Dch48 Win User
    If you have the Start button replaced by something like Classic Shell, there are 2 ways to get to the old style control panel. You can have a link to it in the Classic Shell start menu, or you can just hit win-x and choose it from there.

Dch48, Aug 11, 2015
  10. vgchat Win User
    Right clicking on the start button seems to have the same effect as pressing win-x. Nice shortcut I learned from this thread.

vgchat, Aug 11, 2015
  11. Wenda Win User
    That little trick was one of the things I did like about Windows 8... *Smile

Wish there was a way to import it into my 7 setup.

Wenda, Aug 12, 2015
  12. Dch48 Win User
    The default Windows Start button yes, but not if you have replaced it with a Classic Shell Start button. Right clicking that only gives you access to Classic Shell's settings and Windows Explorer.

Dch48, Aug 12, 2015
  13. xpac5896 Win User

vgchat, thanks for the screenshot and for the win-x info, I surely did not know this and it's much easier than going through all the other stuff.

xpac5896, Aug 12, 2015
  14. pparks1 Win User
    Right clicking by the start menu is how I do it. I love that power users menu. It is the same thing as WindowsKey+x

pparks1, Aug 12, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    But if you use Start10 then you can tell it to display the Win+X context menu on right click of the Start button.

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
Thema:

1. How to get to old control panel in W10 - Similar Threads - old control panel

2. how to get to the control panel?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get to the control panel?: how to get to the control panel? In win 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-to-the-control-panel/dc20a7ef-c660-47e9-ad54-e041ba75d186
  3. how to get to the control panel?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get to the control panel?: how to get to the control panel? In win 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-to-the-control-panel/dc20a7ef-c660-47e9-ad54-e041ba75d186
  4. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  5. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  6. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. W10 Control Panel - display

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 Control Panel - display: When I display Programs and Features in the Control Panel app and click on the drop down menu to display details, the display has the headings Name, Date, Type, Size and Tags. But only the Name and Size columns are populated with any information. The Date, Type and Tags...
  8. Anyway to get the old control panel back?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to get the old control panel back?: I've been wanting the old control panel back in Windows 10 and I'm wondering if anyone knows how? And it doesn't have to but I would like the old windows update back in it also. All help appreciated. My WVN is Version 2004 (OS Build 20161.1000) 159898
  9. Where are the old Control Panel items?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are the old Control Panel items?: Does anyone know how i can get the old Control Panel applets/menus in Windows 10 like Display and Default Programs? I know how to get the old Personalisation settings, i just wondered where the rest of the Control Panel pages have gone. Also btw sorry for the terrible...
  10. The old Control panel may soon be gone

in Windows 10 News
    The old Control panel may soon be gone: The existence of two applications for changing system settings, the familiar 'Control Panel' and the touch-friendly 'Settings' app, was a point of major contention in Windows 8 and drew many negative reviews, criticising Microsoft's UI design for making things unnecessarily...