Windows 10: How to get update warnings

Discus and support How to get update warnings in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently noticed my monthly internet data had used up 109 GBs over a 2 week period, which did not correspond to my known usage. On further... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mustang, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Mustang Win User

How to get update warnings

I recently noticed my monthly internet data had used up 109 GBs over a 2 week period, which did not correspond to my known usage.

On further investigation I found that Windows 10 updater had tried to install the same update 95 times between October 17th - 27th. And this was the reason for the data being used.

I can't find any way in settings to make Windows warn when it is attempting to install new updates.

Can anyone offer any suggestions, or do I need to check update history every time I use the computer?

:)

Mustang, Oct 28, 2017
  2. Quasi_007 Win User

How do I skip an Update?

Every time I connect to the Nokia Suite (v 3.3.86) I get a message even with a yellow "!" warning sign telling me there is an Update for my phone. But it is only "Microsoft Apps" - which is supposed to be optional - I DON'T WANT TO INSTALL IT!

How do I get rid of the warning?

How do I skip the update, once and for good?

How do I remove an optional Update from the list?

Where is the "Skip"-Button?

Thanks

Joerg

Quasi_007, Oct 28, 2017
  3. how to do Win User
    HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you have Win 10 Pro you can set updates to Notify. That means you get notification of a pending update via the Action Centre; click that, Settings opens, tells you what the update is.

If you have Home, I think you can still do that- although some have said it didn't work when they tried.
    You can use Win Aero's free tweaker (search for Update) - see the explanation here:
    How to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 RTM - Winaero
    and Option 2 here:
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    for explanations.

Example:
    Click the notification...

How to get update warnings [​IMG]

Settings opens to show you the pending update.

That the update has failed repeatedly tells you something is wrong: start by checking your disk (Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and also use chkdsk C: /F from an admin command prompt, then SFC /SCANNOW from an admin command prompt.

If all of those are ok, then use the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Inspect your Update History - which update has failed?

If it's the update to build 1709, post a screenshot of your partitions using Minitool Partition Wizard, expanding columns so text is visible.

You may also find information in Windows update log files in setuperr.log etc in the Panther folder.

dalchina, Oct 28, 2017
  5. Callender Win User
    I have mine set to notify only. Then I can choose when to download.

MIT Windows Update Service - Explanation of Registry Settings - ISHermes

On a 32bit machine:

On a 64bit machine the same key is found here;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

I have to confess to using third party software to do the tweak.

I have Windows 10 Home.

Callender, Oct 28, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    @Callender- thanks for confirming it does work in Home. I went through this with someone who had Home and they found it didn't.
    I've amended my post to reflect that.

Carefully reading the tutorial document supports the idea that Notify works in Home.

Comments below the article from Winaero's site refer to someone who didn't succeed with Home.
    I suppose it's possible they just didn't manage to configure it correctly.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Mustang Win User
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. I have Windows 10 Pro 64bit but could not find any option in settings to force windows to notify me before downloading updates. So used tutorial reg edit files.

Cheers *Thumbs

Mustang, Oct 29, 2017
  8. Callender Win User

Just a follow up to say that I switched to an alternative method of manually checking for and downloading updates in Windows 10 home.

It works okay but I reckon that some users would find configuration tricky. Also the software comes with features that the user might not want or need.

Instructions

Have a look at the sections below the heading Windows updates via W10Privacy for more info.

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get update warnings - Similar Threads - update warnings

2. Seeing a "BitLocker" warning when trying to update BIOS. Asking for a mysterious "key".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seeing a "BitLocker" warning when trying to update BIOS. Asking for a mysterious "key".: Hello,I am seeing a BitLocker key warning when trying to update BIOS which implies if I don't make record of a mysterious code I know absolutely nothing about, I'll never be able to use my computer again. This message is a surprise to me. I know absolutely nothing about this....
  3. Seeing a "BitLocker" warning when trying to update BIOS. Asking for a mysterious "key".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeing a "BitLocker" warning when trying to update BIOS. Asking for a mysterious "key".: Hello,I am seeing a BitLocker key warning when trying to update BIOS which implies if I don't make record of a mysterious code I know absolutely nothing about, I'll never be able to use my computer again. This message is a surprise to me. I know absolutely nothing about this....
  4. Seeing a "BitLocker" warning when trying to update BIOS. Asking for a mysterious "key".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update: The newest Win11 update 09/26/23, you can NO longer remove the notifications icon the little bell icon on taskbar now... And NO, the 'DND' doesn't work to remove it anymore, that just puts some Zzz's over it... : And it adds a new icon 'Copilot' that you have to remove as...
  6. Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update

Just thought I'd warn everyone about the new Win11 update: The newest Win11 update 09/26/23, you can NO longer remove the notifications icon the little bell icon on taskbar now... And NO, the 'DND' doesn't work to remove it anymore, that just puts some Zzz's over it... : And it adds a new icon 'Copilot' that you have to remove as...
  7. After most recent Microsoft update, there's a warning message about a ~$ file which appears...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After most recent Microsoft update, there's a warning message about a ~$ file which appears...: After the most recent Microsoft update, my excel file when saved has a warning message about a ~$ file which appears grayed and uses the same file name. I can't access it but I see a warning message. Why is this appearing and how do I stop it? I can't access the file itself....
  8. After most recent Microsoft update, there's a warning message about a ~$ file which appears...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After most recent Microsoft update, there's a warning message about a ~$ file which appears...: After the most recent Microsoft update, my excel file when saved has a warning message about a ~$ file which appears grayed and uses the same file name. I can't access it but I see a warning message. Why is this appearing and how do I stop it? I can't access the file itself....
  9. After most recent Microsoft update, there's a warning message about a ~$ file which appears...

10. WARNING: Latest Windows 10 Update as of 4-11-2023 Can Delete DOCUMENTS folder files; DO NOT...

WARNING: Latest Windows 10 Update as of 4-11-2023 Can Delete DOCUMENTS folder files; DO NOT...: Once again, as in about 4 years ago, Microsoft has done it again. Once again the latest Windows 10 update can trash your Documents folder files and make them so they are not recoverable. In my case, Microsoft deleted well over 250GB of files. And from what I understand, they...