Windows 10: How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words.

Discus and support How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I noticed after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that the (native?) spell checker no longer checks uppercase words. I understand that I can use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Apheration, Dec 25, 2016.

1. How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words.

I noticed after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 that the (native?) spell checker no longer checks uppercase words. I understand that I can use Word or some other Office/productivity product to accomplish this task, but I was wondering if anyone knows to get this feature working again with Windows 10 itself.

Thank you.

:)

Apheration, Dec 25, 2016
  2. Sarah5782 Win User

Windows 10 spell checker no longer checks uppercase words

I noticed after upgrading to Windows 10 that the spell checker no longer checks uppercase words. I understand that it works in Word, but I was wondering if anyone knows to get this feature working in Windows 10 itself. I have
    a web-based system in which I have to enter titles in uppercase, but misspellings aren't caught in uppercase.

Sarah5782, Dec 25, 2016
  3. heineoen Win User
    Wrong uppercase words - N8

Why are some of the words spelled with uppercase letters i front of the word?

Norwegian dictionary.

The word: "hva" = what, is spelled with a big H every time i write it??

How to fix?

heineoen, Dec 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words.

Hi, I found despite having the relevant settings correct, Windows Spell check has never been effective for me. I don't know if that might be related to having changed from EN US to EN UK.
    The dictionary appears to be empty:
    C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling

Anyway, if you wish to try e.g. Tinyspell (free) this does handle case correctly (on a quick trial basis!).
    (It works for typing only, not if you paste text- you can't select text and spell check it with Tinyspell, which would be useful). Doesn't seem to work in Edge search field, does in FF's & IE's.
    tinySpell Download

And see this thread on this topic:
    Windows 10 spell checker does not work on anything, need help

dalchina, Dec 25, 2016
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Hi Apheration and welcome to Ten Forums *Smile

My spell checker works for me. And on words with caps on, too. My setting is default (although I have second language installed).
    We can go step by step from settings (check language, if spelling language is installed, then Keyboard (under devices) if spell is enabled.

How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words. [​IMG]

AndreTen, Dec 25, 2016
  6. English is installed as my only language, and under Typing in settings everything is set to on for spelling and typing. Is that what you were asking?

Apheration, Dec 26, 2016
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry, but that previous picture was test from Firefox, which uses its own spell checker.

Writing this answer in Edge, I can confirm that Windows spell checker doesn't check uppercase words. wordsa WORDSA

How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words. [​IMG]

AndreTen, Dec 26, 2016
  8. How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words.

It doesn't make sense to me that a small feature like this would be removed without a way to turn it back on :-/. I specifically am using an application that requires uppercase formatting and I am trying to avoid having to use a separate program to remedy this as I have to use a company computer and don't want to be installing software.

Apheration, Dec 26, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Maybe you can send feedback to MS. They change spell checker behavior from time to time. Are you sure, you were using MS spell checking in Windows 7. Wasn't aware it was available.

AndreTen, Dec 26, 2016
  10. Ahh good point...Windows 7 doesn't have a spell check API the program could be using, which is bad news for me as that means only the developer can help. Thank you for your assistance.

Apheration, Dec 26, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just wondering- do your dictionary files here
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Spelling
    contain anything?

(You can open default.dic with notepad e.g.)

If so, I think I'm looking for a copy of the 3 files for EN-GB. Thanks.

dalchina, Dec 26, 2016
  12. All three files are empty :-/, is there a scenario were they have an extensive list without manually adding?. If you come across a dictionary file with a full list of uppercase words for the spell checker to include let me know lol.

Apheration, Dec 26, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hmm, thanks, so where are the dictionary files used by Win 10's spell checker then? Or, put another way, how does it spell check using an empty file?

I'm tempted to assume the default.dic file per User is purely for customisation, meaning there should be one Windows uses for reference somewhere else.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/add-or-remove-words-in-spell-checking-dictionary-in-windows-10.9793/

How to disable auto-correct and highlighted misspelled words in Windows 10 | Windows Central
    See:
    Editing your custom dictionary in Windows 10

If there is a reference file, I don't have a *.dic file on C: belonging to Windows with any useful content.

dalchina, Dec 26, 2016
  14. Yes I have read through both links and my best guess at this point is that the dictionary file is compiled, so we wouldn't be able to open and read its contents even if we had access to it.

...But I hope I'm wrong lol.

Apheration, Dec 26, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Unlikely it's embedded in code- it's got to be related to language packs, for example. But it could be in some sort of data format.

dalchina, Dec 26, 2016
Thema:

1. How to get Windows 10 to spell check uppercase words. - Similar Threads - spell check uppercase

2. spell check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spell check: When typing and I misspell a word and I right click on it to get the correct spelling it has stopped showing me choices. It has always given me several words to choose from and then pops them in when I make a choice. How do I get this feature back again?...
  3. Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 365 Spell Check inconsistent: I'm proofing a document that was scanned & OCR'd. When I click 'ignore all' on a name it appears to work properly-but after a dozen pages or so I notice that the name is again marked as misspelled. The earlier occurrences are still ignored-and to all appearances the name is...
  4. Word Pad Spell Check

in Windows 10 Support
    Word Pad Spell Check: Why is there no spell check on Word Pad? It should be the most important feature on any document app??? 161836
  5. Word Pad in Windows -- where is the spell check?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word Pad in Windows -- where is the spell check?: Where is spell check? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-pad-in-windows-where-is-the-spell-check/03d68595-6324-4957-a624-ff8fc78a9e91
  6. Spell Check

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spell Check: Spell Check does not work in my Gmail,in web browser. Any help would be appreciated. I don't know much about computers. Note,Spell Check DOES work on this Microsoft Community forum! Thanks, A.W....
  7. Spell Check

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spell Check: Is spell check available in Word Pad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/268af303-8218-4222-8446-e3887d89bf55"
  8. Spell check dictionary -- can'tfigure out how o get to it to add a word??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spell check dictionary -- can'tfigure out how o get to it to add a word??: I want to type CNA and spell check always changes it to CAN??? Even when I go backward to correct, it corrects it again????? I', working in EXCEL in Mircrosoft Office 365. Thanks for help....
  9. spell check

in Windows 10 Customization
    spell check: I went to documents , word pad and cant find spell check. a ideas? thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/ad261a61-5836-4e22-a9fe-0d92381deb53
  10. Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10 Add or Remove Words in Spell Checking Dictionary in Windows 10 Windows 8 and 10 includes a spell checking feature for when you type words anywhere in Windows. Dictionary Files: The...