Windows 10: how to get windows updates without driver updates?

Discus and support how to get windows updates without driver updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Someone who does not have internet connection at home wants to bring me his hard drive from his desktop computer, so I can install a program on it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by shmu26, May 29, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

how to get windows updates without driver updates?

Someone who does not have internet connection at home wants to bring me his hard drive from his desktop computer, so I can install a program on it.
    Assuming I can get it to boot on my hardware (I have had pretty good luck with that in the past), I don't want windows to update the drivers, because then he will get drivers for the wrong hardware.
    But it would be nice to get him the other windows updates.
    How to do it?

:)

shmu26, May 29, 2016

2. [Windows 10] How to get driver updates with windows update service disabled?

So, based on your canned reply, can I assume that either you didn't read my comment, or you don't understand how windows 10 works? Because, as far as I can tell, windows downloads driver updates through the windows update service, and cannot download drivers
    if the update service is disabled (and it is, on my machine, because I disabled it, because the 1709 update is broken).

I guess I'll manually download my drivers from manufacturer websites until Microsoft fixes the broken fall creators update. Also, is there like, a newsletter or something that will let users know if and when Microsoft addresses the issue (the 1709 update
    being incompatible with modern Intel chipsets and SSDs)?

P.S., I'm sorry if I sound salty, but while assuming users are idiots who can't operate their own machines, and giving canned responses instead of actually reading and replying to their comments and questions might seem acceptable to you (and maybe it is,
    maybe most people are idiots, I wouldn't know), it comes off as rude and patronizing to me. It's like asking if the PC is plugged in (well by golly, I hadn't thought of that...I must be an idiot, huh?).

Sebastian Hahn, May 29, 2016
  3. [Windows 10] How to get driver updates with windows update service disabled?

Since update 1709 is broken, I had to disable the windows update service in order to prevent a download/failed to install loop. That being the case, I've found that I'm now unable to update hardware drivers. Aside from manually hunting down and downloading
    drivers for every piece of hardware in my pc, is there any way to get drivers for windows while windows update is disabled?

Sebastian Hahn, May 29, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Really, he needs to bring you the whole box. You will mess up the activation doing it that way.

simrick, May 29, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    good point.
    But when he puts it back in his box, won't Windows find the proper product key again?
    And what if I just forget about the whole idea of updates, and disconnect the internet? Will his windows installation mess up?

shmu26, May 29, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    You're asking for activation trouble if you start swapping hard drives. I just went through this with someone else who had 2 identical machines, swapped HDDs and had activation troubles. Don't do it.

EDIT: And, no, when he put the original HDD back in the original machine, the activation troubles did not go away.

simrick, May 29, 2016
  7. shmu26 Win User
    thanks for the heads up. You saved us mucho trouble.

shmu26, May 29, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

No problem! Glad I saw your post before you tried it! *Smile
    Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers!

simrick, May 29, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I also would absolutely recommend he just bring the desktop CPU over. Connect it to your monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet and do it that way.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how to get windows updates without driver updates? - Similar Threads - updates without driver

2. How to update driver without getting automatic repair problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to update driver without getting automatic repair problem?: When i try to update driver i get automatic repair problem...So i fixed this by uninstalling new updates in advanced options..So the driver isnt updated yet and when i try to update it shows automatic repair. Please help.....
  3. How to update driver without getting automatic repair problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to update driver without getting automatic repair problem?: When i try to update driver i get automatic repair problem...So i fixed this by uninstalling new updates in advanced options..So the driver isnt updated yet and when i try to update it shows automatic repair. Please help.....
  4. How to Disable AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Updates through Windows Update Without disabling...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Disable AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Updates through Windows Update Without disabling...: I am using an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT. It works fine when I am running an older version of the driver. I was annoyed that Windows Update always automatically update my GPU driver after I have downgraded, and I want to stop Windows Update from updating my GPU driver because it...
  5. How to Disable AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Updates through Windows Update Without disabling...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Updates through Windows Update Without disabling...: I am using an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT. It works fine when I am running an older version of the driver. I was annoyed that Windows Update always automatically update my GPU driver after I have downgraded, and I want to stop Windows Update from updating my GPU driver because it...
  6. How to update drivers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to update drivers: Hello just wanted to ask how can i update the drivers of my lenovo windows 10 pro pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-drivers/41e03860-8725-44c0-813e-cef5deaf134a
  7. How to update or get a new OpenGL driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to update or get a new OpenGL driver: Before I explain you can call me Toki instead of my display name. So we begin. I have had this problem ever since I got my computer, I would try playing some games that I own but it wouldn't load and crash saying I need a high OpenGL. I have also tried updating off my...
  8. HOW TO UPDATE DRIVERS TO LATEST VERSION WITHOUT ANY SOFTWARE????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO UPDATE DRIVERS TO LATEST VERSION WITHOUT ANY SOFTWARE????: MY PC IS OLD. SO I NEED TO UPDATE DRIVERS TO LATEST VERSION. SOME DRIVERS ARE 10 YEARS OLD. HOW CAN I UPDATE ALL THE DRIVERS TO LATEST VERSION WITHOUT ANY SOFTWARE????...
  9. How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?

How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?: I don't understand why I can't shutdown my laptop. I need to shut my computer down and the only options want me to update first. I don't have time to wait for an update. Were is the shutdown option? Does anybody at Microsoft actually use a computer? This is...
  10. How to get regular updates for 1709 WITHOUT getting 1803

How to get regular updates for 1709 WITHOUT getting 1803: Windows 10 updated to 1803 a while back & completely messed up my PC! After rolling back & getting it working again, 1803 kept trying to install. The only way to stop that was to turn off Windows Update altogether. How can I get updates for 1709 yet keep 1803 off my PC?...