Windows 10: How to hide certain files/documents on computer?

Discus and support How to hide certain files/documents on computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use axcrypt to encrypt many documents. Thus most of my documents are in my documents folder. However, i want to know how do a hide certain documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Mar 6, 2018.

1. How to hide certain files/documents on computer?

I use axcrypt to encrypt many documents. Thus most of my documents are in my documents folder. However, i want to know how do a hide certain documents on my computer where others won't have access to it such as a hacker or anyone else. Is there a very simple way to do this? I thought of making a boring title for that document where no one would open it but even if i do that, well i dont want it in my document folder. Thus im not sure what folder i would put it in.

For example many of these are openoffice word or excel files. But i want to hide it in case say a hacker or anyone else could snoop around in my computer etc.

Thanks.

:)

paulyjustin, Mar 6, 2018
  2. fdilbar Win User

E71: Hiding private files

Can anyone tell me how to hide any picture, video, document or any other file in E71?

fdilbar, Mar 6, 2018
  3. [N95 8GB] Hiding certain files?

glad to hear that you got it sorted How to hide certain files/documents on computer? :)

radical24---01, Mar 6, 2018
  4. SoFine409 Win User

How to hide certain files/documents on computer?

Put them on a thumb drive.

SoFine409, Mar 6, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    I'd take a tip from QuickBooks and other programs working with legal documents saving backups, keep them off-site, not actually on the computer. There will always be indications the files were there but if off-site can't be read.

Berton, Mar 6, 2018
  6. If they're encrypted then why do you need to hide them? If you're leaving them unencrypted when you're not using them or when you're not at your computer, well...

You can create a Veracrypt encrypted volume, which looks like a normal file filled with random data. It can be mounted as a hard drive if you know it's a Veracrypt volume and you know the password. But again, if you leave your computer without unmounting the drive then you'll have the same problem.

If you can find a file on your system then so can any hacker. Renaming and hiding a file on the filesystem is about the same level of security as hiding a key under your doormat.

PolarNettles, Mar 6, 2018
  7. Well the reason is because if you name it so and so, well then someone would more likely click on it? But even though its encrypt, they know what type of documents you have in your computer? Thats the main point.

Well instead of putting a document/picture in my documents where thats the most obvious place, where else can you put it? For example say you name that document bank statement for certain bank. Well yes its encrypt but that person would know okay you have bank account at so and so bank.

paulyjustin, Mar 6, 2018
  8. How to hide certain files/documents on computer?

Doesn't axcrypt encrypt the filename also?

How to hide certain files/documents on computer? [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Mar 6, 2018
  9. So you guys are just suggesting name it some random file where it doesnt look like important then right? Thus name it like mickey mouse pictures and encrypt it?

paulyjustin, Mar 7, 2018
  10. I am not familiar with axcrypt but other file encryption systems can generate a random filename (so something like "56cl39x,8-s-1aq") - I assume that's what axcrypt means by "anonymous name." The only way you can figure out what the file actually is named is to decrypt it.

Of course, if you have a whole bunch of files then there's no way to identify a specific file without decrypting all the filenames.

At some point you have to decide for yourself how much info you are willing to leak and how much convenience you are willing to sacrifice.

I personally use a Veracrypt volume - when unmounted no one can tell what is inside the container; when mounted then every file in the container is decrypted and it acts like a normal drive. When I am done using the files then I immediately unmount the volume.

PolarNettles, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to hide certain files/documents on computer?

1. How to hide certain files/documents on computer? - Similar Threads - hide certain files

2. How can I hide the Documents folder in File explorer in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I hide the Documents folder in File explorer in Windows 10?: When I open File explorer in Widows 10, the list of folders under This PC includes Documents and its sub-folders. I don't want to delete this but I don't want to see it either, so I'm hoping there's a way to hide it - and to make it visible again if I want to.I've tried the...
  3. How can I hide the Documents folder in File explorer in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I hide the Documents folder in File explorer in Windows 10?: When I open File explorer in Widows 10, the list of folders under This PC includes Documents and its sub-folders. I don't want to delete this but I don't want to see it either, so I'm hoping there's a way to hide it - and to make it visible again if I want to.I've tried the...
  4. How can I hide the Documents folder in File explorer in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to copy certain lines from a document?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to copy certain lines from a document?: [ATTACH] Hi, Is it possible to only select certain lines for a document without having to copy all of them? Please find attached to see what I mean. https://preview.redd.it/966yno8663i91.png?width=1656&format=png&auto=webp&s=d9322d04e0f567625e547352811c01fd90ef1ac4...
  6. Hide certain users?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hide certain users?: Hi there, i plan to make my login screen look like this (see picture) I want to hide some users, such as my administrator account, and display my main users as normal. So that it says: "Max Mustermann" "Guest Account" "Other User" And if I then go to Other User,...
  7. How to hide a device from certain app in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to hide a device from certain app in windows 10?: Hey guys! I'm trying to use a third-party app for a flight simulator, but I discovered that every time I connect my USB rudder pedals the app crashes after some time. So I would like to know how can I still use the pedals in the simulator but the certain app won't be able...
  8. I Need A Way To Hide All Files Of A Certain Extension

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I Need A Way To Hide All Files Of A Certain Extension: As the title says, i'm looking for a way in Windows 10 (or with a piece of 3rd party software) that will allow me to select a specific file extension and have the system hide all files with that extension so they don't show up in folders, file explorer, etc. submitted by...
  9. Hiding labels for certain programs on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hiding labels for certain programs on the taskbar: So, I have a weird-ish question. I multitask a lot, and have the calculator and sticky notes applications running a lot of the time. I also have my taskbar buttons expanded, so I can see what each browser window has on it to quickly switch between them. However, apps that I...
  10. Task view, hide files not used on the computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task view, hide files not used on the computer: Hi, on a computer of my secretary I can see all the file that I used on my pc (that is in LAN) or that I used on the NAS. How can hide these files? I don't want that she see my private documents (btw she cannot open those)....