Windows 10: How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?

Discus and support How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a win10 machine that keeps slowing down drastically and when I check with Task Manager I see there's 100% system disk usage. And I can't figure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by abrogard, May 12, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?

I have a win10 machine that keeps slowing down drastically and when I check with Task Manager I see there's 100% system disk usage.

And I can't figure out what is causing it.

And I can't understand how it could be that important that is would slow the machine.

100% usage simply means that the disk is being accessed all the time doesn't it? That's all. It gets no rest.

But CPU usage is fairly minimal. 97% idle time. Disk transfer rate is low.

So I figure it must be something that can't operate unless it can access the disk and it simply can't access the disk.

But all I am doing is browsing web pages. Reading them. Forum posts usually. And I might write a post. Not disk intensive activities.

I look for I/O and page faults and find Firefox and Avira to be most heavy.

Is there any way to identify which processes and therefore which applications are being delayed?

I've got two machines with win10 and each set up pretty much the same and each used in about the same way.

This one here now never gets this problem. That other one I've had endless problems with. It's an Asus H170 pro gamer. This one is an Asus H61-MK. Both Asus, see? Even that much similar.

:)

abrogard, May 12, 2018
  2. ML5
    ML5 Win User

Windows 10 causes 100% disk utilization

The fix outlined in the article did Not fix the 100% disk utilization. I cannot tell any difference in performance and disk usage still stays at 100%.

The fix ask you to verify which driver is used for, mine is not the one listed. ASUS uses a driver called "iaStorA.sys" but I made the MSI change anyway. Plan on resetting it since it appears to make no difference.

3. Salman Patwegar Win User
    100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, May 16, 2018
Thema:

How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?

1. How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage? - Similar Threads - Identify Cause 100%

2. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage: i am using i7-7700hq processor laptop but still my laptop was loading slowly.when i checked my task manager it shows me my disk usage is 100%. so anybody help me to solve this problem...
  3. Disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk usage at 100%: [IMG] I noticed that my new laptop was lagging and the main reason was that my disk usage was at 100% i tried disabling superfetch, windows search , running malware bytes and ran hd tune reformatted it (2 times). but it still did not do any thing i found out that the...
  4. Disk usage at 100%

Disk usage at 100%: How do I fix this? Why doesn't Microsoft have a patch to fix this? I tried Troubleshooting Updates to no avail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/disk-usage-at-100/d29de1cc-aec4-4ea3-a175-2d765a24d3d1
  5. Skype seems to be causing 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype seems to be causing 100% disk usage: I see I now have Skype 8.28.0.41 and with the Task Manager found that every time Skype loads, disk usage shoots to 100% and apart from a rare drop to 94% stays at 100% making my laptop unusable for as long as Skype is loaded. It drops back to zero after Skype is closed....
  6. Disk usage at 100%

Disk usage at 100%: My laptop that runs windows 10 has this problem since i reinstalled windows 10 again today. I had windows 10 installed for about a year or two and i didn't had this problem until i reinstalled windows. I tried disabling superfetch and windows search, but it didn't fix it. The...
  7. 100% Disk Usage

100% Disk Usage: So this thing started to happen me in May, but only 1 time. In June, this happend few times, and my pc lagged. Now I have 100% Disk Usage almost everytime, but, when it's not 100% disk usage, my PC still lagging. I have a laptop Acer Aspire E5-575G-31LP with: Intel Core...
  8. 100% disk usage

100% disk usage: constantly slowing my computer I've tried many suggestions and updates malware and virus scans. nothing helps its driving me crazy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/100-disk-usage/77ec7f3f-9ed3-4caf-b3e3-173215fb7576
  9. 100% usage on disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% usage on disk: 2 days ago i downloaded a new game Playerunknow's battleground and noticed i was lagging really bad. I opened my task manager and my disk usage was at 100%. I closed everything and noticed my pc was doing things slow. My disk usage stays at 100% now and I do not know what to...
  10. 100% Disk Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% Disk Usage: Hi there, Recently, my laptop keeps spiking to 100% disk usage. I've tried disabling Superfetch and Windows Search, adjusting the virtual memory, checking if I have the AHCI controller, check disk, none of it worked. The only thing I haven't tried is System Restore...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. identify what is causing 100% disk utilization