How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?

Discus and support How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I have a win10 machine that keeps slowing down drastically and when I check with Task Manager I see there's 100% system disk usage. And I can't figure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by abrogard, May 13, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

I have a win10 machine that keeps slowing down drastically and when I check with Task Manager I see there's 100% system disk usage.

And I can't figure out what is causing it.

And I can't understand how it could be that important that is would slow the machine.

100% usage simply means that the disk is being accessed all the time doesn't it? That's all. It gets no rest.

But CPU usage is fairly minimal. 97% idle time. Disk transfer rate is low.

So I figure it must be something that can't operate unless it can access the disk and it simply can't access the disk.

But all I am doing is browsing web pages. Reading them. Forum posts usually. And I might write a post. Not disk intensive activities.

I look for I/O and page faults and find Firefox and Avira to be most heavy.

Is there any way to identify which processes and therefore which applications are being delayed?

I've got two machines with win10 and each set up pretty much the same and each used in about the same way.

This one here now never gets this problem. That other one I've had endless problems with. It's an Asus H170 pro gamer. This one is an Asus H61-MK. Both Asus, see? Even that much similar.

:)

2. ML5
    ML5 Win User

Windows 10 causes 100% disk utilization

The fix outlined in the article did Not fix the 100% disk utilization. I cannot tell any difference in performance and disk usage still stays at 100%.

The fix ask you to verify which driver is used for, mine is not the one listed. ASUS uses a driver called "iaStorA.sys" but I made the MSI change anyway. Plan on resetting it since it appears to make no difference.

3. 100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Thema:

How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage?

How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage? - Similar Threads - Identify Cause 100%

Forum Date

SSD Bad sectors cause freeze!

SSD Bad sectors cause freeze!: My fault. 860 Evo, it's a sata SSD! That's better.
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Apr 5, 2018

Internet causes 100% DISK

Internet causes 100% DISK: I have run everybody application to find why DISK is at 100% and freeze my computer for several minutes and find out it happens when I access my ISP, especially my email, does my DISK memory freeze my computer. I prefer using Firefox but I tried with other with same results....
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Apr 5, 2018

Crashes caused by AV?

Crashes caused by AV?: I have recently noticed my PC has been restarting over night, sometimes during the day and was wondering what could be the cause. I have checked the 'reliability history' report and i have seen that on quite a few occurrences it has been at the same time my AV has updated....
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Feb 19, 2018

How can I log processes/sevices that are causing slow shutdown?

How can I log processes/sevices that are causing slow shutdown?: Ever since the 1709 update a week or two back my PC is much slower to shutdown than with the previous version. Is there anyway I can log or check what processes or services may be causing this? Thanks 104418
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Feb 15, 2018

Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please?

Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please?: Murphy's Law - my wife & I had just spent an hour or so checking out some Black Friday TV bargains & comparing three possible items. Just about to go ahead, clicked on 'Add to Basket' and the screen went black for several seconds. Then up came what appeared to be the usual MS...
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Nov 24, 2017

CldFlt causes PC to freeze when starting stream

CldFlt causes PC to freeze when starting stream: Whenever I try to stream on the HBO Nordic website, my PC freezes and I have to hit the reset button. I've isolated the issue to the CldFlt driver, event ID 7000 in the event logger. On the linked thread below there are workarounds for similar issues (check the end of...
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Oct 9, 2017

One Account Causing Crashes

One Account Causing Crashes: A neighbour has told me that his computer that he shares with his wife has started crashing and causing black screens on boot up but his own account is ok. Could someone give me some pointers that I could test out when I see the machine tomorrow please. 93765
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Sep 18, 2017

help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes?

help 100% disk usage problem, win10 - common causes?: does anyone know the best way to solve this type of problem? or how to diagnose this problem? or the most common reasons for why it happens? * happens on startup and just randomly from time to time * solves by itself randomly * the performance mointer thingy shows...
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Jul 18, 2017

netsvcs memory leak, need assistance identifying and fixing

netsvcs memory leak, need assistance identifying and fixing: My Windows 10 Pro laptop has a serious memory leak going on. If I leave it on overnight, I will often come back in the morning and memory usage will top 90%.When I check my processes, I see Service Host: Local System is where this is happening. When I drill into the services,...
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Dec 1, 2016

SFC errors - how to identify/fix?

SFC errors - how to identify/fix?: As one (not particularly hopeful) step in trouble-shooting a problem (Cortana not opening reliably) I used sfc /scannow from an elevated command. At its conclusion I got this message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them....
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Jul 14, 2016
How To Identify Cause of 100% Disk Usage? solved