Windows 10: How To Increase TaskBar ToolTip Character Amount

Discus and support How To Increase TaskBar ToolTip Character Amount in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've heard from before that you can increase the amount of characters shown in a ToolTip from a System Tray Icon. As you can see in the attached... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Jan 26, 2018.

1. pepanee Win User

How To Increase TaskBar ToolTip Character Amount

Hello, I've heard from before that you can increase the amount of characters shown in a ToolTip from a System Tray Icon. As you can see in the attached picture that this information shown is not complete (it cuts out halfway in the third email listed, yet there are currently 5 emails total). I want it to show all the text information that the ToolTip is intending to show. Does anyone know the Registry modification that I need to do to fix this? Thanks

How To Increase TaskBar ToolTip Character Amount [​IMG]

:)

pepanee, Jan 26, 2018

2. What version of cmd.exe should I have?

1. The issues with the formerly windows 7 computer are that clicking the "start button"/"windows button" on the taskbar has no effect, the search icon in the taskbar does not respond, the "store" icon in the taskbar does not show, even if hovering the mouse
    over its location does show the tooltip "store", the Edge icon does not show in the taskbar even if hovering the mouse over the corresponding location does show the tooltip "Microsoft Edge", I cannot display the "action center" by clicking on the "speech bubble"
    near the right end of the taskbar even when the tooltip says "new messages". Running the administrator-powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} fails with lots
    of red error messages ...

2. Updates: I don't know. Sometimes I find in the list of installed updates a number of recent updates that installed successfully, sometimes I find messages about failed updates.

3. On the formerly Windows 8.1 PC, I can resize the command window to any width. On the formerly Windows 7 PC, I can only change the height of the window, but I cannot increase the width beyond 80 characters. Quite annoying. (No, the cmd shell does not behave
    differently, just the "console" window as such.)

Thanks

CacadrilOne, Jan 26, 2018
  3. Help or advice needed on sending text messages 7610 (NEW)

Thanks for your reply. I have had another look in the instruction manual and comparing it to what you have said about the amount of characters in the text and not the number of lines. It states that the maximum amount for sending a text is 160. Can I increase
    this amount and if so how do I do it?

Cheers

mitzy---01, Jan 26, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

While it may be possible to increase the amount text in balloon tips, for emails, that setting is usually taken care of within the client.
    Gmail Notifier Pro, for example, shows a full balloon for each individual email...

How To Increase TaskBar ToolTip Character Amount [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 26, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    What if instead of 5 you had 500 new mails? It could hardly show 500 lines *Smile

I think the answer is no anyway. According to Notifications and the Notification Area (Windows) it can contain:

6. LMiller7 Win User
    I don't believe Windows imposes any limits on the size of tooltips. The 200 characters mentioned is I believe only a recommendation and not an imposed limit. As tooltips are shown only for a short time it is not a good idea to show too much information. Normally the height of a tooltip is whatever is necessary to display the information provided by the application. In this case it appears the application developer has chosen to display 5 lines. An application may provide some means of controlling this but often it is simply hard coded in the application.

LMiller7, Jan 26, 2018
  7. pepanee Win User
    Edwin: I see. I looked in my app, too bad it doesn't have any settings to adjust that info. =/

lx07: Thanks for the reference to that site! I was looking for that a while back, and now you found it for me. What's really strange though is I remember when Windows 10 first came out, this limit did not exist (or most likely had a much bigger limit) because I was able to see all my emails. The thing about it is that it doesn't spam everything about the email Subjects. As you can see in my attached picture above, the end of the line of the first email shows "...", so it doesn't end up taking too much space/characters. I just hope this email notifier had more settings to it, maybe an alternate notification window that isn't Windows related. Maybe in the future, maybe I can ask the developer.

LMiller7: "The 200 characters mentioned is I believe only a recommendation and not an imposed limit."
    Yes, I thought that is true too. But I see what you mean. Maybe the developer did that 5 line max setting after all the updates.

pepanee, Jan 26, 2018
  8. LMiller7 Win User

What email client are you using?

LMiller7, Jan 26, 2018
  9. pepanee Win User
    The app is called Howard E-Mail Notifier. It's only a little tiny app that shows you how many new emails you have in your email account. So if I left click on that icon, it will open Google Chrome and go to my Windows Hotmail account within the browser. I don't use an external app for my email account.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Increase TaskBar ToolTip Character Amount - Similar Threads - Increase TaskBar ToolTip

2. Increasing The Character count of registry paths.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Increasing The Character count of registry paths.: Hi there everyone, an hour ago I installed the AIG traffic liveries manager to enhance my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 experience, and when I opened the application, I got the message below...I have not clicked anything since the popup window came up as after searching...
  3. How to disable taskbar tooltip?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable taskbar tooltip?: I need help to disable taskbar tooltip https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-taskbar-tooltip/3aacb1e8-932e-4312-bc3e-a693b5eb0994
  4. tooltips in taskbar

tooltips in taskbar: Anyone now how to stop tooltips when hovering over taskbar; Always in the way and never adding anything of value? I see the question appearing since a long time. So by now MS should have been able to present some solution... regedit??...
  5. Tooltips in taskbar list

Tooltips in taskbar list: I have the Windows setting to Always Combine buttons; when I click on a taskbar button it displays a list with the titles of the open windows (I have the registry setting Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\NumThumnails DWORD...
  6. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person...
  7. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person has...
  8. Any way to disable taskbar tooltips?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to disable taskbar tooltips?: Hi, whenever I'm working, taskbar tooltips get in my way if I happen to hover the mouse over the taskbar for a millisecond. It occurs because the software I'm using has buttons I use frequently at the bottom i.e. just above the taskbar. It's quite annoying. Take a look at...
  9. How do i increase the width of tabs by a little amount?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i increase the width of tabs by a little amount?: [img] I don't need the huge tabs like we had in Win XP but instead i need those tabs to be a bit wider since i have lots of app running and i'm constantly switching apps, sometimes with Alt+Tab or sometimes from Taskbar but the problem is my mouse's dpi is pretty stupid and...
  10. How can i disable TASKBAR tooltips? NOT EXPLORER WINDOWS!

How can i disable TASKBAR tooltips? NOT EXPLORER WINDOWS!: I am annoyed at the taskbar tooltips. I pinned things there, i know what it is, stop reminding me. What makes it worse is that you can hover over it for a fraction of a second, but it displays the title for four seconds. You see, i am using a modeling software that has...