Windows 10: How to install on a dual boot system?

Discus and support How to install on a dual boot system? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two systems. System 1 is a desktop running W7 Premium SP1. I did clean install of W10 from iso on separate partition. W10 will not activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ddarsie, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ddarsie Win User

How to install on a dual boot system?

I have two systems.
    System 1 is a desktop running W7 Premium SP1. I did clean install of W10 from iso on separate partition. W10 will not activate using W7 numbers. I suspect that is because I moved W7 to an SSD 6 mos. ago and W10 expects the old HDD. BTW, installed W10 to partition on the SSD

System 2 is dual boot laptop (Dell Inspiron) with W7 SP1 and W8.1. I want to keep W7, and I could try W10 install either by upgrading 8.1 or clean install to the 8.1 partition. Reccomendations? I don't want to risk losing the W7. I do have disk image backups of both W7 and W8.1.

TIA,
    Denis

:)

ddarsie, Aug 13, 2015

2. How can I make a second boot (dual) boot on a separate internal drive?

I have Windows 10 installed on the main drive of my PC and would like to make my second drive to be also bootable (dual boot) just in case the first drive fails. How do I go about making/copying my Win10 boot details over to the second drive so that I am
    given a choice of which drive to boot from on startup?

cheers

Mike

Bootneck42, Aug 13, 2015
  3. How can I make a second boot (dual) boot on a separate internal drive?

Well, even if you add a second drive, boot information for the second installation will always be stored on the boot drive. So, if the boot drive goes, the second drive would be unable to boot too.

You can install the second drive then simply boot from your install media then select the drive during setup.

How to: setup a dual boot configuration with Windows
    10 and previous versions of Windows

I think the best backup, is the maintain a system image:

[*]How
    to: Create a system image in Windows 10

[*]How
    to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

Andre Da Costa, Aug 13, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You have to upgrade an installed, activated and running Windows 7/8/8.1 first from within that Windows 7/8/8.1 in order for the upgrade to activate. Then once you have an activated Windows 10 from the upgrade, you can clean install over the top of it.

Run the upgrade from within Windows 8.1.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2015
  5. ddarsie Win User
    "You have to upgrade an installed, activated and running Windows 7/8/8.1 first from within that Windows 7/8/8.1 in order for the upgrade to activate. Then once you have an activated Windows 10 from the upgrade, you can clean install over the top of it."

Thanks for the info. I relaized that I did not give you the full scoop on what I was trying to do regarding system1. Curently it has W7 installed. I want to end up with W7 and W10 with dual boot. And I want the W10 to be a clean install. My guess is I install w10 from within W7 and will have the choice to dual boot?? Would that bea a clean W10 or upgrade??

Thanks again for the help,
    Denis

ddarsie, Aug 14, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is one way to legally, without violating the EULA, to end up with a dual boot Win7 and Win10 free upgrade. You have to start with 2 Win7 installs that are set up for dual booting and that have their own seperate activated licenses. Then you upgrade one of those to Win10. Upgrading a single install of Win7 will not give you the option to dual boot.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    For System 1, it's not possible for both to be activated at once. can upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 like NavyLCDR said and the license will transfer to Windows 10, but then it can no longer to used to activate Windows 7. After upgrading to Windows 10, can do a clean install of it on the same system and it will be activated, but Windows 7 will be unactivated if try to perform a dual-boot with Windows 7 and the now-activated Windows 10.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Nonsense. Microsoft does not deactivate the license for the Windows 7 that Windows 10 was upgraded from. A legal example - make a backup image of Windows 7 using Macrium Reflect. Upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Don't like Windows 10, restore the backup image. It will still be activated.

Another legal example. I have a 3 pack family license for Windows 7 - with only one product key. I can legally have that Windows 7 installed on two partitions or two hard drives in the same computer. Upgrade one to Windows 10. The other Windows 7 remains unaffected - even though it is in the same computer and activated with the same product key.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2015
  9. ddarsie Win User
    Thanks all for the help. Guess I'll just stick with W7 on system 1 for now.

Denis

ddarsie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to install on a dual boot system? - Similar Threads - install dual boot

2. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  3. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  4. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot System / Windows Clean Install / Boot File Contradiction?: This past week I finally decided to upgrade my PC. In coalition with a few other components, I bought a Samsung 980 1TB M.2 SSD as a replacement boot drive, planning to keep my 1TB Seagate HDD as extra storage.After installing and initializing the SSD, I shut down my computer...
  6. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  7. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  8. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  9. How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System: My bootloader is corrupted (I think the last Insider upgrade did it). I have the correct two Win 10 installations listed (my Win 10 production system and the Win 10 Insider) but there are others listed, such as "UEFI IP4" and both of my DVD drives (see screenshot). I would...
  10. Dual booting and system imaging

Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...