Windows 10: How to Install RTM Build (14393) over Preview Build (14931)?

Discus and support How to Install RTM Build (14393) over Preview Build (14931)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I get an .iso of Windows 10 RTM (14393) , I can install over the Preview Build (14931) I'm using without losing my personal files, Win32 programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by renk23, Sep 26, 2016.

1. renk23 Win User

How to Install RTM Build (14393) over Preview Build (14931)?

If I get an .iso of Windows 10 RTM (14393) , I can install over the Preview Build (14931) I'm using without losing my personal files, Win32 programs and applications?

P.S. I already tried it with an iso Windows 10 Pro x64 Pt-Br (14393.0)
    The option to keep things was not available.

Any help?

:)

renk23, Sep 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 connect to the internet to activate

Microsoft has temporarily suspended Preview Builds at this time in preparation for the RTM release on July 29th, so you won't be able to install or activate builds 10162 and 10166 and earlier builds.

How to upgrade
    from the Windows 10 Insider Preview to Windows 10 RTM build

Andre Da Costa, Sep 26, 2016
  3. trbogt Win User
    Error Code 0x8007000E Windows 10 Insiders Preview 14931 Upgrade

Hi...so you were on 14393 ..and now you got the new 14931 build... yes?...it went thru this last attempt....did you do anything different?

*john

trbogt, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Yes. Mount the ISO file as virtual DVD by double clicking it and launch the Setup.exe to start upgrade.

5. renk23 Win User
    Yeah, i know, but When I do that, doesn't show the option "keep your personal files and applications" like when going to upgrade to newer build.

renk23, Sep 26, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Yes it does, assuming the ISO install media is for the same Windows edition and language.

7. renk23 Win User
    Maybe it was because I tried a .iso with only English language and my Windows is only Portuguese Brazil.

I will download an .iso pt-BR to see.

renk23, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

You can only keep everything (installed software, settings, personal files) if the upgrade install media is the same edition and language version than the underlying Windows. Upgrading to different language you cannot keep everything, personal files yes but not settings and installed software.

9. renk23 Win User
    It did not help.

The option to keep things was not available.

renk23, Sep 29, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    I couldn't make the change a few updates in the past, seems the Insider Preview is a different edition from the RTM/Released version.

Berton, Sep 29, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    First, let me just tell that since the first preview version on October 1st 2014 I have skipped two builds only. I have tested upgrade process with every build except these two I had to skip due missing language packs. The option to keep personal files and apps is always there when the underlying Windows language version and Windows edition and the upgrade install media language version and Windows edition are the same.

In screenshot taken just now Windows 10 PRO Insider Preview EN-US Build 14385, upgrade launched from official Windows 10 PRO version 1607 EN-US Build 14393 ISO image which was mounted as virtual DVD:

How to Install RTM Build (14393) over Preview Build (14931)? [​IMG]

Notice that even the regional version of the language does not have to be the same, as long as base language remains same. In OP's case this means that upgrading with either Portuguese - Portugal or Portuguese - Brasil will work and allow keeping apps and files. For example, in screenshot below the notification I got just now when trying to upgrade the above mentioned Windows 10 PRO Insider Preview EN-US Build 14385 with Windows 10 PRO version 1607 EN-GB Build 14393 ISO image. Windows will tell me that if I continue the display language will be changed:

Accepting that, the next prompt tells me everything will be kept:

I recommend you to really check that language of installed Windows and upgrade install media match.

12. renk23 Win User
    So I do not know what's going on...

I will try again with different language .ISO,,, because with PT-BR (same as my System) did not work.

renk23, Sep 29, 2016
  13. renk23 Win User

I think I'm going to give up.
    I tried with PT-BR (same as my windows), and now with the EN-US, both did not work.

renk23, Sep 29, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    Two obvious reasons can clearly be seen in your screenshot:

1.) Your screenshot shows a Brasilian Portuguese Windows 10 which you are trying to upgrade with an English install media. It will not let you keep everything, as I have mentioned several times.

2.) At bottom of your Setup dialog you will see the reasons Windows Setup gives why upgrade can't keep your apps and files:

Notification about Windows being installed in an unsupported folder (directory) will only be shown when one or more Windows system folders are no longer on drive C: but have instead been moved to another drive, or they have been renamed with unsupported name.

See the difference, in screenshot below the same Windows Setup dialog when Windows system folders have not been moved and upgrade will be done with install media in not matching language:

You'll notice that now the option to keep personal files is available, and notification only mentions wrong language, nothing about unsupported folder (directory).

One more comparison of these notifications, first one is shown when Windows system files or folders have been moved to unsupported locations as in your case, the second one when Windows installed language and upgrade media language do not match but other than that Windows system folders have not been moved:

Conclusion: Not only are you trying to upgrade with install media in other language than your underlying Windows installation, but you have also either modified your Windows setup by moving some system files and / or folders to another drive than C:, or you have renamed some system files and / or folders.

Note The only Windows system folder that can be moved to another drive without upgrade or other issues is the Users folder, which can be relocated with Sysprep (tutorial). If any other system folders or their subfolders (Windows, Program Files, ProgramData) have been moved or renamed, or if Users folder has been moved with other methods than Sysprep, upgrade can in most cases be done but nothing will kept. In these cases Windows Upgrade will reset all system elements and folders to their default locations and names.
    Unsupported relocating of Windows system elements will in most cases cause problems at some point. My recommendation is to do a clean install with version 1607 Brasilian Portuguese install media.

15. renk23 Win User
    As I mentioned several times on page 1, I had tried to install with Brasilian Portuguese install media before trying with EN-US.

My folders are untouched. I just update Windows 10 Preview 14931 to 14936.

I think I can't install an older build over a newer build without losing everything. *Shock

renk23, Sep 29, 2016
Thema:

1. How to Install RTM Build (14393) over Preview Build (14931)? - Similar Threads - Install RTM Build

2. Failure to install KB4568831 on Build 19041.546 (RTM Build)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failure to install KB4568831 on Build 19041.546 (RTM Build): I've tried installing KB4568831 on Windows 10 Pro with build 19041.546. The update didn't show up on Windows Update even as an optional update, so I fetched the MSU package from Microsoft Update Catalog. Upon starting the installer, it shows "The update is not applicable to...
  3. Windows 10 build 14393

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 build 14393: I've been trying to update a laptop at work that is currently on build 14393 to the current. It just blue screens and then reverts to a working version. It won't pull WSUS updates until it's current. I've tried all the crap suggested in this article...
  4. Choose how preview builds are installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Choose how preview builds are installed: Everytime I go to advanced options under settings - Update and Security and set the box under "Getting builds faster means you’ll see new things sooner. Getting builds slower could mean more solutions are available for issues." to Fast, it reverts to Slow, so the next time I...
  5. Latest Build 14393 No Extensions

in Browsers and Email
    Latest Build 14393 No Extensions: With Build 14393, I lost my Extensions. Had Lastpass and Amazon. They showed in the Extensions tab, right side, but weren't operable. I uninstalled them and now when I click on the "Get extensions from store", it open to a blank page. Were working before I upgraded to the...
  6. Running build 14393

Running build 14393: When will it update to the newer build or has MS stop that? 87256
  7. Stuck on build 14393: cannot update

Stuck on build 14393: cannot update: I am on build 14393 and I am trying to update to 14905 or 14915, but when computer restarts after trying to update I get a message that windows is rolling back to previous version (my version 14393), without making the update. I tried through windows update, i tried also...
  8. disappearing hdd drives. build 14393

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disappearing hdd drives. build 14393: My hdds randomly disappear from os . I have to reboot to gain access. Failing sata ports or build issue? 56939
  9. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC: [img] 64466
  10. Cumulative Update KB3176925 to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB3176925 to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] We have released a Cumulative Update (KB3176925) to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 on PCs and Mobile devices which will bring the build number to 14393.3. This Cumulative Update includes a handful of fixes: We have...