Windows 10: How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

Discus and support How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I install a vhdx image backup file from an old computer (win 10) onto a new one? I no longer have access to the old computer. From my internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lyndonaus, Nov 29, 2015.

1. lyndonaus Win User

How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

Can I install a vhdx image backup file from an old computer (win 10) onto a new one?
    I no longer have access to the old computer.

From my internet reading it would appear that virtualization might be invovled and I've managed to install a virtual machine on the new computer, however, I've now hit a brick wall *Confused

If its doable I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. *Wink

The vhdx image file is on an external HD together with bu's of my data files (just to be on the safe side)

:)

lyndonaus, Nov 29, 2015
  2. Zebbers Win User

Install Windows 10 backup (.VHDX) on Windows 8.1

Hi everyone.

1.5 years back i bought a small laptop which had pre-installed Windows 10 on it (with office,apps,etc).

At the time i needed Windows 8.1 ,so i made Win 10 backup on external HDD,and installed Windows 8.1 over it.

Right now i want to recover that backup by installing it over Windows 8.1.

My question is how to do it? The recovery itself has 3 separate .VHDX files and few XML files

How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer [​IMG]

As you see 1st .VHDX is ~13GB, 2ns .VHDX is 290MB and 3rd .VHDX is 38MB.

Do i need to somehow convert to bootable file or merge all 3 VHDX images in one?

I did see an article in one place that showed a possibility to mount and boot .VHDX backup using Powershell,however in my case i have 3 separate files.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Zebbers, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Free Windows 10 upgrade. re install problem

Currently I have re install Win 7 and recovered the major files I needed from the Win !0 image backup using VHDX files.

JEFFPLATTEN, Nov 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
  5. How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer [​IMG]

Easiest way is just to mount it through disk management.

cyberrufus, Nov 29, 2015
  6. lyndonaus Win User
    Sorry for the delay in replying ...( too crook to look at a computer *Sick )
    Thanks for the suggestions but I had already arrived at that point (mounted disk), how do I overwrite the existing oem with the back-up from the old computer with the mounted disk? I have win10 home.

lyndonaus, Dec 4, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Can you be clearer about what sort of data in the image file you want to restore? You said
    "The vhdx image file is on an external HD together with bu's of my data files" implying its content is other than data..

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  8. lyndonaus Win User

The image is a complete copy of the old computer's content: os, progs, data etc, I did an additional copy of the data as a precaution as I had never done an image restore before. I also thought it would save time (no doubt it will when done properly) but as its turned out I could have manually re-installed the progs mant times over but I would not have learn anything! *Wink

lyndonaus, Dec 5, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    To convert VHDX to WIM ( i'll assume your ext HDD is D:\ )

create a MOUNT folder on D:\
    create a CAPTURE folder on D:\
    Open a powershell cmd window

Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath “D:\FOLDER\NAME.vhdx” -Path D:\Mount -Index 1

New-WindowsImage -CapturePath D:\Mount -Name Win10Backup -ImagePath D:\Capture\Backup.wim -Description “Windows 10 Backup” -Verify

Dismount-WindowsImage -Path D:\Mount -Discard

-------------------

Then you would need to partition the new PC HDD using the windows 10 setup media (run setup)

then you would again use the setup media (or my bootable Recovery tools ISO) to get to a command prompt and then use

Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFileHow to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer :D:\Capture\Backup.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

this will convert the vhdx to wim - and Apply the backup

Kyhi, Dec 5, 2015
  10. lyndonaus Win User
    Thanks for the reply Kyhi but its way above my head, can you point to some more basic reading so I can get my head around it?

lyndonaus, Dec 5, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    What OS is on the New PC ???

What is the location and file name of your .vhdx you would like to restore to the New PC ??

OR you could just BOOT the vhdx file, from your external HDD (although faster data rate if internal drive) but doable..

Windows 8.1 / 10 support booting vhdx files - internal and external..

12. niplas Win User
    Hi Kyhi

New user here, reviving an old thread.
    I'm about to try out your guide two steps above using powershell etc, overwriting a default install with a win10 imagebackup (default comes as a vhdx-file since 8.1 it appears. Only worked with the, now legacy, vhd-format previously).

I was aware you can boot into the image but how is that done? Google wasn't my friend today, and all the methods i found was overly complex. Maybe there is no easier way to do it than: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ces...-a-vhdx-image/ (applies to Win10 as well) but if someone have opinions on how to do this easier it would be appreciated. Thanx

Edit: The link is for creating a full untouched boot-enabled image, this is in some instances very useful but only the bottom part applies to this question. I was wondering if there is some easier way than to boot into a full win10 install and edit the Windows Boot Loader. /edit

Isn't that true. I'm at a factor of 10 to 1 presently but I refuse to resort to doing things from scratch every time something fails (especially when you have a well configured snapshot) *Nerd

niplas, Apr 18, 2016
  13. Kyhi Win User

Attach the drive with the VHD file to any windows 8/10 PC

I assume the .VHD(X) file is on an external USB drive.... we'll example it as drive letter USB:\

Mount the .VHD(X) file ... we'll example it as drive letter VHD:\

Then from that PC, open command prompt (admin)

if mounted x86 VHD - use cmd > bcdboot VHD:\Windows /s USB: /f BIOS
    if mounted x64 VHD - use cmd > bcdboot VHD:\Windows /s USB: /f ALL

The above will write the files required to boot the VHD to the external drive...
    then just set the external drive as your Boot device, to boot the windows vhd..

14. niplas Win User
    Exactly what i was looking for. Brilliant, thank you.
    And your procedure for converting and deploying the image described earlier worked as a charm. *Cool

This will help me a lot in the future. (If your'e not allready getting paychecks from Microsoft they should start sending them *Wink)

niplas, Apr 18, 2016
  15. Kyhi Win User
    Just glad I could help..

Thema:

1. How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer - Similar Threads - install vhdx image

2. How can I install Microsoft Digital Image 2006 onto Win 10 service..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I install Microsoft Digital Image 2006 onto Win 10 service..: How can I install Microsoft Digital Image 2006 onto Win 10 service.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-install-microsoft-digital-image-2006/59ef027a-d309-4647-b83d-9c831863824f
  3. ISO or VHDX image file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ISO or VHDX image file: I am a iMac User running Sur. To use an app name3d Parallels to run a Windows 10 environment, I need to download a ISO or VHDX image file but cannot find it anywhere. Can you please point me in the nright direction?The message I receive during the Parallels installation is:...
  4. Windows vhdx image problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows vhdx image problem: I made a vhdx image of Win10 (1909) from Backup and Restore in the Control Panel. Having successfully downloaded it to my external drive, when I boot to Win RE ->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options->System Image Recovery, in an attempt to restore it Win10 fails to locate my image....
  5. New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace: New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-with-win-10-how-to-install-win-7-with/d1fc2fc3-5532-4779-9b3d-58634aa19bf4
  6. installing a system image onto a new device

installing a system image onto a new device: Win10 pro is my OS system image available Am I required to purchase a Win10 pro system on my new computer or is any Win10 system appropriate to use the system image backup?...
  7. Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image of disk before/after installing programs on Win 10 new computer?: I am in the process of setting up a new HP computer, Win 10, Ver 1803, Build 17134.191. It has a partition with the O/S etc. on it to restore. 1) I want to make an image of the new computer disk on an external disk in case the new disk goes bad. Should I make the image...
  8. install win 10 onto laptop

install win 10 onto laptop: The question is this.. how on earth do i re-install a new version of win 10 on to my machine ? without any disks? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-win-10-onto-laptop/57ad5e6c-5cee-4e72-8fd8-8a59e9cbcd00
  9. Installing new windows 10 onto a new computer

Installing new windows 10 onto a new computer: i just finished building a pc and im trying to install windows 10 but my product key is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-new-windows-10-onto-a-new-computer/cd131f2a-54dd-41b7-a1b7-72f7bffd7914
  10. installing windows onto a new custom computer

installing windows onto a new custom computer: I built a brand new custom computer and im trying to install windows 10 from a flash drive. I get to the windows setup screen to install windows and pick my drive to boot windows from its does its thing and then says windows ends to restart. once it it restarts it seems fine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. capture vhdx and install on new machine

2. file:///E:/WinPE Win10/How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums.pdf