Windows 10: How to install Win 7 on a second HD for dual booting with Windows 10 ?

Discus and support How to install Win 7 on a second HD for dual booting with Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed on HD1 (Samsung) and working will. I had a second HD2 (WD) with Win7 installed for a dual boot operation. For some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jim1931, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jim1931 Win User

How to install Win 7 on a second HD for dual booting with Windows 10 ?

I have Windows 10 installed on HD1 (Samsung) and working will.
    I had a second HD2 (WD) with Win7 installed for a dual boot operation.
    For some reason, I could never successfully boot into Win7. Out of frustration I decided to format the Win7 drive and start over.

The problem now is I cannot install Win7 on the HD2 drive. When I choose F12 on boot up and select the WD disk, a screen appears saying "Windows Boot Manager" It instructs me to insert my Win7 install disk an reboot.

Next steps:
    I insert the Win7 install disk and reboot using F12 to select the WD disk.
    The "Windows Boot Manager" screen appears again with the same instructions as above!
    If I reboot again and do nothing, the system will boot to Windows 10.
    My question, how to install Win7 on the WD disk and then setup a dual boot operation?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

:)

jim1931, Feb 10, 2016

2. Win 10 HD went BAD and now cannot dual boot after attempting restore image

A few days ago received notification in POST that the HD containing Win 10 OS was bad.

Made image of Win 10 partition on external USB HD.

-> That's like taking out a fire insurance policy after noticing the flames in the roof of your house.

To restore dual booting, do this:

• Create at least two disk partitions.
    • Install Win 7 in the first partition, using your Win7 installation DVD.
    • Boot the machine with your Windows 10 media creation tool and install Windows 10 in the second partition.
    Since your machine already had Windows 10, it remains registered and you will not need and product key.

Frederik Long, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Datkur Win User
    Win 10 HD went BAD and now cannot dual boot after attempting restore image

HD Fail, need to restore dual boot system Win 10 and Win 7

1) Installed Win 10 from iso in April 2016.

2) Original system was Win 7 Home Premium so this resulted in a dual boot system which has had no problems.

3) A few days ago received notification in POST that the HD containing Win 10 OS was bad.

4) Made image of Win 10 partition on external USB HD. Also tried to use Paragon Back Up and Recovery to create an image but this failed with Disk I/O error.

5) Used Hiren to test HD with HD regenerator which showed multiple bad sectors which were recovered. But due to long time, only tested the first 140GB which should have covered OS partition.

6) Installed SSD and formatted from Win 7 system.

7) Tried to restore Windows Image from 4). But image not locatable and worked through all the options to try to restore.

8) After installing Win 10 originally, I made an image using Paragon which was the bare bones Win 10 immediately after installation. I used this to restore Win 10 onto SSD. Network was disconnected for the remainder of these steps since I did not want to complcate
    the issue by Win 10 trying to instal updates.

9) System would not dual boot and had to choose "Use another OS" which took me into Win 7 which was OK.

10) Removed Win 7 HD so only system was the restored Win 10 on SSD. But this failed to boot into Win 10 with File \Boot\BCD missing.

11) Used win 10 recovery CD to repair Start Up and Win 10 finally booted up and seemd OK.

12) System then shut down with Critical Process Died error. Rebooted back into Win 10 and seemd OK but eventually another critical process died message.

Questions :

1) What is best way to get back to dual boot system ?

2) If I do a clean install from the Win 10 iso (which seems to be the only option left), will this incur a charge from Microsoft since I am past the date for the free upgrade.

Datkur, Feb 10, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

is the HD2 a GPT drive -- I think W7 can't boot to a GPT formatted drive but can of course use them. If I'm wrong on this (I don't dual boot any more --preferring to use VM's or simply slide a HDD caddy into one of my bays on a microserver) I'm sure there's some sort of restriction with GPT and W7 --maybe the GPT HDD has to be the first one.

If I'm 100% wrong here - then please ignore - but I do remember something in the past about W7 and booting from GPT HDD's.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 10, 2016
  5. jim1931 Win User
    No it is not a GPT drive, it is an older type HD.

jim1931, Feb 10, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Try booting to the inserted Windows 7 install disk instead of the now blank hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Feb 10, 2016
  7. jim1931 Win User
    Will give that a try and get back to you soon.

Jim

jim1931, Feb 10, 2016
  8. jim1931 Win User

Win7 now works fine. After the install was complete I shut down and re-connected my Windows 10 HD.

On start up, I went into the bios setup (enter key) and changed the drive order to Windows 10, Windows 7, and last the CD.

I will normally be running Windows 10 as the default OS. I guess I'll just change the bios when I want to load Win7 - unless you have some suggestions.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Jim

jim1931, Feb 10, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Windows 10, from an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

bcdboot e:\Windows /addlast /d

The path in red will be the path to your Windows 7 Windows folder and whatever drive letter Windows 10 assigned to it.

Then you can do Win + R to open a run dialog box, type msconfig. Go to the boot tab and select the timeout and options you want for your boot menu.

On some systems, Windows 10 fast startup interferes with dual booting so if you have issues you might want to try turning it off first:
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Feb 10, 2016
  10. jim1931 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try.

Jim

jim1931, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to install Win 7 on a second HD for dual booting with Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - install second dual

2. How to Undo Win 7 and Win 10 Dual boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Undo Win 7 and Win 10 Dual boot: How do I Undo Win 7 and Win 10 Dual boot with the dual boot in Win 10 MSCOBFIG, and be able to boot to Win 7 separate from booting to Win 10. I know I can change the boot order in the BIOS, but I am afraid that if I simply delete Win 7 from MSCONFIG in Win 10, I won't be...
  3. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  4. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  5. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  6. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  7. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  8. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...
  9. how to install Win 7 on a laptop running Win 10 Home (dual boot)

how to install Win 7 on a laptop running Win 10 Home (dual boot): 189 Dear All, I have a i5 laptop running on Win 10 Home where, for work reasons, Windows 7 Ultimate has to be installed (preferably on a vhd). Win 7 Ultimate will be the main OS, while Win 10 will remain in case the laptop needs to be sent back to the factory for repair....
  10. How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10?

How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10?: How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10? OK, maybe my title is confusing, but I am wondering if it is possible to first upgrade my present win 7 OS to win 10 than do a clean install of win 10, then dual boot with a fresh install of win 7 in a dual...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install windows 7 as second to windows 10