Windows 10: how to install Win10 on a new Drive (same pc) and keep my license

Discus and support how to install Win10 on a new Drive (same pc) and keep my license in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a new SSD drive, and i want to install windows 10 on it. Can you please tell me what are my option to do that AND keep my windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alaslipknot, Oct 22, 2016.

1. how to install Win10 on a new Drive (same pc) and keep my license

Hi,

I bought a new SSD drive, and i want to install windows 10 on it.
    Can you please tell me what are my option to do that AND keep my windows 10 registered ?

Thank you

:)

alaslipknot, Oct 22, 2016

2. Keeping Windows license when changing hard drive

Hello.

I have two laptops, the old one came with pre-installed Win7 and I upgraded to Win10, and the new one had Win10 pre-installed. The hard drive on my old laptop is failing and I need to replace it, and I was wondering if and how it is possible to keep the
    Windows license?

In the Activation tab in Settings, both laptops say "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account", I hope they don't interfere with each other as it's the same account.

Can I recover the license when I log in to my account from a freshly installed Win10? And if I do, can I then change the Microsoft account linked to that computer?

IoanaAlexandru, Oct 22, 2016
  3. installing new hard drive

i need to install a new hard drive in my laptop. How do i use my existing win10 license

Raj Nathoo, Oct 22, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

how to install Win10 on a new Drive (same pc) and keep my license

You can clone your old drive to the new one then it will boot with everything still working or you can do a clean install no need for serial number it's all stored on ms so it will active if your logging in with a ms account

Samuria, Oct 22, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Changing the drive doesn't affect your digital licence or activation.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...tions-answered

6. I didn't find any way to only clone the OS, my HDD is 2TB, while the SSD is only 250GB, i need to do a fresh install on it first

alaslipknot, Oct 23, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member

MiniTool Partition Wizard and Macrium Reflect Free are two programs that will both clone the OS for free.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to install Win10 on a new Drive (same pc) and keep my license - Similar Threads - install Win10 Drive

2. Migrating Licensed Win10 to New Drive & Computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Licensed Win10 to New Drive & Computer: I have spent a bit of time searching for the answer but haven't found exactly what I am looking for, so I appreciate your help.I have a licensed retail copy of Win 10 on a 500GB HD. My computer died. I seem to be able to boot the copy of Win 10 off the original HD via an...
  3. Migrating Licensed Win10 to New Drive & Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Licensed Win10 to New Drive & Computer: I have spent a bit of time searching for the answer but haven't found exactly what I am looking for, so I appreciate your help.I have a licensed retail copy of Win 10 on a 500GB HD. My computer died. I seem to be able to boot the copy of Win 10 off the original HD via an...
  4. Migrating Licensed Win10 to New Drive & Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC

Transferring Win10 Pro digital license to new PC: I have just built a new PC and I want to transfer my Windows 10 Pro digital licence from my old one. I checked the licence with command slmgr -dli, and it is in the RETAIL channel, so should be transferrable. Following instructions on various posts, I removed my licence...
  6. Cannot install Win10 in my PC with a new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install Win10 in my PC with a new SSD: Hi, I have installed an SSD drive in my PC and I was looking for install windows 10 on it but I find that I cannot run any other device as a boot device except mi older HDD. With the other devices only shows Windows Logo for 1-3 seconds an restarts again the PC. I have...
  7. New computer same license.

New computer same license.: Hi, i just got my new computer and installed windows but it doesn't want to activate. I upgraded from win 7 or 8 a few years ago to win 10 (pro?) and haven't had any trouble with my license on the other computer. The harddrives from the old computer have been formatted and...
  8. Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?

Installing Windows on new Hard drive-Do I keep my license?: Hi My hard drive failed and I was wondering if I install a new drive and load fresh Windows, do I keep my license? At present I use a digital license. Also I'm NOT changing the motherboard. I have no recovery disc or anything, it would be a clean, fresh install. Thank...
  9. Install New Hard Drive in Same PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Install New Hard Drive in Same PC: The HDD in the machine is obviously dying -- very slow, noises, etc. I have a new, larger HDD and there is an empty 3.5 slot. Can I install the new drive and then clone the old drive to the new and be able to boot from the new one? 116691
  10. App license gone after new installation of win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App license gone after new installation of win10: Hello, yesterday I upgraded my Win7 to Win10. Everything was fine, I installed a few apps and they showed up in my libary. But I wanted a new and clean installation so today I made a fresh installation of win10. But now my app license are gone. For example, I claimed my free...