Windows 10: How to install Windows 10 with minimalizing used disc space?

Discus and support How to install Windows 10 with minimalizing used disc space? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, My question is, how can I install Windows 10, that it uses the less disc space, it can? My problem is, that I have laptop with 64 GB SSD,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ga214, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ga214 Win User

How to install Windows 10 with minimalizing used disc space?

Hi All,
    My question is, how can I install Windows 10, that it uses the less disc space, it can?
    My problem is, that I have laptop with 64 GB SSD, and after upgrading (from windows 8.1) to Windows 10, the used space is more than 35 GB, so now I have a very little free disc space now.
    Thanks!

:)

ga214, Aug 26, 2015

2. How to install app

on the store my phone lumia 620

[Moved from Internet Explorer 10]

how to install app, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop

I do not have a disc to boot windows 10, i am trying to use a USB drive with the installation software and do not get any of those options when using that to attempt the install.

How do i get a disc with windows 10....

JamesHeron34, Aug 26, 2015
  4. How to install Windows 10 with minimalizing used disc space?

It would be best to use clean install for that. My 10 + some software take 15GB (no pagefile/hibernation).

TairikuOkami, Aug 26, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    If you go to an elevated command prompt, and type this command, what does it say:
    Code: compact /compactos:query[/quote] Ideally it should say 'The system is in the compact state'

Edit: another thing you can do is use Disk Cleanup to delete the old version of Windows, but I'd perhaps take a backup before doing that, in case you want to get it back somehow.

DavidY, Aug 26, 2015
  6. The articles I've read suggest Windows 10 installs in a compressed mode (the replacement for WIMBoot) on disks that are 32GB or less, and this seems to be the case as it installed compressed on a 32GB tablet I have but not compressed on a 64GB one. If the command DavidY mentions does not indicate you are in a compact state you'll need to fool the installer into thinking your disk is smaller than it is. Presumably you could force this on a larger disk by partitioning - delete all existing partitions, then create two equal sized ones that fill the disk (~30GB each), then delete the first one and tell Windows 10 to install in the unpartitioned space. After installation you should be able to delete the second ~30GB partition and expand your main partition to fill the disk. I stress that I have not tested this however!

The compact command also appears to let you change the state without reinstalling, maybe?

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  7. Word Man Win User
    What exactly is taking up the space? Try Start/Settings/System/Storage and click on your disk drive on the right and find out what is taking up the most space. You can continue to click on the displayed categories to drill down to what is taking up the most room. Could be old windows installation, system restore points, etc. Let us know what you find out so we can zero in on more specific guidance.

Word Man, Aug 26, 2015
  8. Rocky Win User

Remove the Windows Old file and you should be good.

Rocky, Aug 26, 2015
  9. DavidY Win User
    Yes I think you can change the state with that command.

DavidY, Aug 26, 2015
  10. Run Disk Cleanup, and do the Clean up system files option. Be aware, once you delete the Windows .old, you can't use the Rollback option.

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Here's an interesting read. I had never heard of the compact command before!
    About the Compact OS deployment in Windows 10 | Deltas Lair

Looks like the command to actually change the state is:
    compact /CompactOs:always

To turn it off:
    compact /CompactOS:never

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
  12. ga214 Win User
    Thanks for the ideas!
    Deleting windows.old directory saves me lot of spaces.
    Now the used space is "only" 26,6 GB. It has some temporary files (1,5GB), Office(?) (600MB), Lenovo Photo Master (674 MB), so I could reduce it a little bit.

I have only one question left. Settings-System-Storage says that I have 26,6 GB used space and 57,8GB total space. Where is the missing 6,2 GB (to 64GB disc which I have)?

ga214, Aug 27, 2015
  13. How to install Windows 10 with minimalizing used disc space?

That's normal. Manufacturers have for a long time quoted the unformatted capacity (which is greater than the actual usable space) and/or stated one Gigabyte to be 1000 Megabytes rather than 1024 (and so on). On an SSD you may also have some space reserved for wear leveling I think.

xtcrefugee, Aug 27, 2015
  14. Snakeyes Win User
    Most SSD's have a certain percentage 5 to 10% of their capacity blocked (OP). This empty space is used by the internal system of the SSD to facilitate their internal cleaning process. Unfortunately they sell using the total capacity rather than the usable capacity. I suspect this is what you are seeing.

Snakeyes, Aug 27, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    Some more math, following on what xtcrefugee and Snakeyes said:

The manufacturer's "64 GB" equates in Windows GB units, to 64,000,000,000 / 1,024 / 1,024 / 1,024 = 59.6 GB

You'll have a minor amount taken up in hidden partitions (more if there is a factory restore partition, say 5 - 20 GB). The 59.6 - 57.8 = 1.8 other GB is likely over provisioning allowance on your SSD, which would be about 3% in this case minus the small hidden partition amounts.

You may get a better accounting of your 59.6 "true" GB from the Disk Management console display.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to install Windows 10 with minimalizing used disc space? - Similar Threads - install minimalizing used

2. Disc Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disc Space: I have a Desktop computer running windows 7 Ultimate and I am running out of disc space can I delete folders from my c disk to give me some space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-space/ac9a5223-6d81-4bef-88b1-c2cb485ecc50
  3. Disc Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disc Space: I have a Desktop computer running windows 7 Ultimate and I am running out of disc space can I delete folders from my c disk to give me some space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-space/ac9a5223-6d81-4bef-88b1-c2cb485ecc50
  4. How to make disc space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make disc space: How to make disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-disc-space/a0ccca37-89b3-4990-9349-97f9f2fe49c2
  5. How to make disc space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make disc space: How to make disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-disc-space/a0ccca37-89b3-4990-9349-97f9f2fe49c2
  6. Windows using more disc space then it shows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows using more disc space then it shows: So basically:Last time I used my PC I had around 30gb left of space, then rebooted my PC and only had 11gb left.When I go to my C drive and add all the file sizes up from all the files that are located in there I get roughly 197GB. But windows says its using 220GB.I already...
  7. disc space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disc space: Low on discs space what are my options? how can I disable the click pad win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-space/e637f51c-c917-4400-b7ca-08911ea960c9"
  8. disc space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disc space: hi compute s telling me I need more disk space to update my computer how can I do this please ,it wont let me uninstall anything thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-space/a4ff154b-be35-4cda-9436-b56748f77cb9
  9. Disc space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disc space: Like in windows 7, we go to my computer and thereafter check the properties which include hard disc and its contents, available space as well - where is it in windows 10? 4379
  10. How much disc space needed Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How much disc space needed Windows 10?: C drive is 500gig SSD. I have not configured the restore point. Suggestions? Thank You [img] [img] 48263