Windows 10: How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well

Discus and support How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've read the Windows 10 tutorial on battery saver, but it doesn't seem to address what I need to know. Neither do the various threads on same. I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wynona, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Wynona Win User

How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well

I've read the Windows 10 tutorial on battery saver, but it doesn't seem to address what I need to know. Neither do the various threads on same. I need to know if this particular "battery saver" will preserve my battery if I leave it plugged into the wall socket 90% of the time, or will it not?

I have an older HP laptop with Windows 10. On bootup, I'm told that there's a problem with the battery and that it will no longer charge at full percent. That laptop has been primarily used at home and is usually plugged into the wall socket, so . . .

Heretofore, I've been told that the above will happen to a battery when it's left plugged in more than 90% of the time it's in use. Which holds true for this particular laptop.

My new HP laptop with a 4-cell 41WHr-Lithium-ion Battery will be used for both travelling and home use, so I want to protect it as much as possible.

I don't want to continually pull the electrical plug and replace it when the battery runs down. This morning I decided to remove the battery from the laptop and boot using only the wall plug. So, will this hurt the computer? I don't think so, but I'm not an expert in these matters.

Bottom line: What is the best way to preserve my battery?

:)

Wynona, Feb 22, 2015

2. how to keep data connection alive

If it was happening with one app, then we could go to specific apps. Since it is happening with multiple apps, phone reset is the only solution.

Jay_answers, Feb 22, 2015
  3. how to keep data connection alive

Are you on 2G or 3G? I have noticed similar pattern with 2G based data connection.

Have you checked what happens if you are on Wi-Fi?

Jay_answers, Feb 22, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Best to check what manual suggest. Newer Li-Ion batteries are not as susceptible to "Battery charge memory" where it would get stuck at some charge level and wouldn't be able to go over it if repeatedly charged to that level. "Medicine" for that was to discharge battery to 0 and than to charge it to the top again. Most MFGs were advising to charge the battery to 3/4 and take it out when not using laptop on the go. I don't think it applies to newer batteries because of their sensors and programing laptop to charge only when and as much as necessary.
    Not letting battery discharge too much and than using laptop while charging can overheat and overload charger and power connector. So most probably you are best off using laptop normally with power connected to it while watching it's charging levels and letting program regulate it. If you use laptop mostly as a desktop replacement, it's not big bother to leave it connected.
    If power connector gets worn or melts, it's pretty expensive to change it inside the laptop.

CountMike, Feb 23, 2015
  5. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, Count. I gave the 17" HP its battery back, since it's brand new. It was definitely complaining about it not being there. However, FWIW, I'm going to unplug it and let it drain just because. *Smile There will be times when I want to travel and I'll want a battery to be up to par, so to speak. Although I do use the laptop at home mostly for testing purposes, I might want to use it when there are no electrical outlets too.

My 15" laptop has been telling me for sometime that it had a problem with its battery (which is why I asked the original question). When I ran whatever it told me to run, it said I need to replace the battery. Well, since this one is essentially a "stay-at-home" laptop and I hardly ever take it with me when I travel, I have not done anything about it yet. It's my Windows 10 test machine.

I got it out yesterday to see if there is anything on the next Windows 10 build yet, and once I checked, I started the draining process. Even at only a partial charge it took almost all day to discharge. Once when it got to 7% it asked me to plug it back in, but I declined. It shut down and I restarted it! About three hours later, it finally shut down and wouldn't even show a light when I tried to restart it once more. So I left it alone until this morning.

I plugged it in and voila! No more message! So, what I will do is to completely discharge it about once a week for the next couple or three weeks and then use it without the electrical cord more often.

Wynona, Feb 25, 2015
  6. Wynona Win User
    I have something happening with the battery on the 15" laptop running Windows 10 that I don't understand.

As I said above, I let the battery completely discharge and then plugged in to the wall socket. My plans are to occasionally unplug the electricity and let the battery discharge while I'm using it.

However, every time I unplug the electricity, I get a runtime error:

How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well [​IMG]

I don't see how just unplugging the computer should give me this error. Any ideas?

Wynona, Feb 28, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    A program or part of the driver for battery charging control may be bad.

CountMike, Feb 28, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

Oh, crap. I've already lost one laptop. I don't want to lose another. *Sad

Wynona, Feb 28, 2015
  9. Would removing and then reinstalling the driver work ?
    Or maybe trying to update the driver ?

COMPUTIAC Guest, Feb 28, 2015
  10. Wynona Win User
    I've never heard of a driver for the battery charger. Not to say there isn't one.

I can look, though.

Wynona, Feb 28, 2015
  11. I was referring to a driver for the program which controls charging of the battery.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Feb 28, 2015
  12. Dude Win User
  13. How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well

I get a similar message from time to time. It's Win10 !

Did you happen to install OneNote? It comes with all sorts of things (office hooks, Visual studio...). I uninstalled the free Onenote and there was lots of junk left over - particularly Click-to crap. I then got a WU for Visual Studio (I hid that) - ha! why didn't the OneNote uninstall (which placed it on my machine) uninstall that (or at least ask). I forget what else the FREE OneNote put on my machine, but I think I found all of the things (last one today was a scheduled task for Click to - sheesh!)

Anyway, the OneNote app is all I really need and it doesn't put other things on the machine that are tied to Office as is the free OneNote.

Soooo, I'm not sure this is a battery issue, but ore of a c++ runtime +Win10 issue.

Slartybart, Mar 4, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    Looks like a typical 'Wait to Kill Service Timeout' message.

Anyway, it's probably the service to change your screen to variable brightness after unplugging the unit.

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well - Similar Threads - Keep Laptop Battery

2. How to keep alive two installs of the same app?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to keep alive two installs of the same app?: I have the trading app MetaTrader 5 MT5 on my system but I also have a version by a broker which is exactly the same app with branding images/wording slightly different on it.I found many programs that will "Keep Alive" an app on Windows 11 and they work with MT5 however...
  3. How to keep alive two installs of the same app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep alive two installs of the same app?: I have the trading app MetaTrader 5 MT5 on my system but I also have a version by a broker which is exactly the same app with branding images/wording slightly different on it.I found many programs that will "Keep Alive" an app on Windows 11 and they work with MT5 however...
  4. How to keep alive two installs of the same app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB HDD Keep Alive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB HDD Keep Alive: Hello everyone. I have a specific need. Before you say "do this instead" or get a Nas, I simply cannot afford any other options. I have a USB HDD attached to my router. My computer hosts a Plex Media server. That USB drive has it's own share drive in File Explorer. My only...
  6. After updating, my laptop is barely alive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After updating, my laptop is barely alive: TL:/DR After updating, my laptop is barely alive So two nights ago I was uninstalling unused games and programs and backing up files because I saw there was an update that was to be installed upon the next restart. In the middle of backing up my files my laptop blue screen...
  7. Microsoft new plan to keep Cortana alive and differentiated

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft new plan to keep Cortana alive and differentiated: We've heard for at least a year that Microsoft was working to reposition Cortana from a standalone assistant like Alexa and Google Assistant, to more of an assistance aide. Details on what that meant were scarce until this week when Microsoft started sharing more about its...
  8. HELP - previous laptop owner stll "alive and well" in file structure!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP - previous laptop owner stll "alive and well" in file structure!: Hi, I hope you can help me. I have early Alzheimer's Disease and unfortunately, my IT knowledge and abilities are waning today. My father purchased a refurbished HP Notebook PC. After using it for months, he needed to run a system restore. At that time I discovered his...
  9. Delta Sync alive and well July 1, 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Delta Sync alive and well July 1, 2016: Oh my! I can see Microsoft used another strong arm tactic to try and move everyone to Windows 10! They rule the technology world when it comes to operating systems but these tactics since Windows 10 was released should land them several class action suits. (I'm sure they were...
  10. Keeping the Bluetooth connection alive (or automatic reconnection)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keeping the Bluetooth connection alive (or automatic reconnection): Until last year-summer the Bluetooth connection was working perfectly: the headsets were connecting automatically, once the connection was activated. If for some time there was no sound playing, the headsets were disconnecting automatically, then, when the sound was becoming...