Windows 10: How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

Discus and support How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; BTW: this post relates to an earlier post of today. I'm creating a new post, because (a) I don't want to hijack my own post, and (b) I don't want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by OldGrantonian, Jan 12, 2018.

1. How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

BTW: this post relates to an earlier post of today. I'm creating a new post, because (a) I don't want to hijack my own post, and (b) I don't want to hide possibly useful info inside the wrong title. The older post is here. I'll need to go back and edit the older post after I clear up the mess with this post. Sorry about that:

Where is old Windows scientific calculator? - Windows 10 Forums

During the installation, the installer did not ask for a target location. (I verified that by trying to install again - but the installer warned that the program had already been installed.)

During install, I was told that the output folder would be:C:\Users\<username>\App Data\Local\Temp

The problem is that I can't find the installed file, in order to run it How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? :)

The original EXE filename was "OldCalcWin10". Before installing, I renamed this using a hierarchical naming method, with the highest object at the start, and the minor object at the end: "Win10CalcOld". I'm not a techie, so I don't know if renaming the EXE screws things up.

Here's how I tried to locate the installed file:

- Look in Desktop folder, sorted by date
    - Look in Start > Programs
    - Look in Program Files, sorted by date
    - Look in Program Files (x86), sorted by date
    - Look in Control Panel > Programs and Features

I can find it in Control Panel as "Old Calculator for Windows 10". But, of course, there's no install location.Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Jan 12, 2018

2. How to Extract an Icon from a exe File?

How to Extract an Icon from a exe File on windows mobile?

for example ,i want to print the file's(such as clock.exe in the Windows directory) small icon,and use DrawIcon Method to finish it.

How can i make it?

could somebody help me?

thanks in advanced.

yongshi123, Jan 12, 2018
  3. Linley Meslier, Jan 12, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

Mine appears here:
    C:\Windows\System32\calc1.exe

How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 12, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    See if this software can help you find a file.
    Once you find the file you can then trace it backward.
    It will index every file on the computer.

Download and install Everything:
    voidtools
    The software can be configured to launch on boot or whenever you need it.
    As you type a character there will be instantaneous search results.
    The more characters you type the narrower the search results.

This should enable you to find any file on any of the drives attached to the computer.

zbook, Jan 12, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    One issue that could cause a search not to find the file is that the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp location is normally a hidden location, (to protect against accidental changes), so AppData and it's contents will not show in a search. If you set the File - View to Show Hidden it may help

Barman58, Jan 12, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    Hi Barman58,
    The explorer search has a view setting to search for hidden files and it can take a while to search.
    In contrast Everything does not discriminate and finds everything.
    If found the ApppData

These are the default settings:

zbook, Jan 12, 2018
  8. How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed?

Thanks for the response.

Your link gives the old Windows calculator I want to use - which of course is not the calculator that I installed earlier today. I looked in SYSTEM32, but it wasn't there.

So, unfortunately, if anyone is looking for help according to the title of the post, they won't find it here :-(

I don't think a post title can be edited..

9. Barman58 Win User
    If you wish to change / combine or rename threads for your ease of use let me know and I'll sort it for you *Wink

Barman58, Jan 12, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 12, 2018
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Rather than spend more time locating the file, this is a Zip file directly from the Winaero site

oldcalcwin10.zip

Download from here to your desktop or another easily found location double click the file to open the ZIP and drag the .Exe file to a suitable location (system32?), and create a shortcut to the exe ( this may be located anywhere you wish including the Start menu by copying to the correct folder

Barman58, Jan 12, 2018
  12. I respectfully suggest that you might be treating the zipped EXE file as if it were a file that does not actually need to be installed. Double-clicking such a file causes the prog to be launched immediately. An example of a non-installable EXE file would be some of the SysInternal files, such as ProcMon and Autoruns.

The file that you quoted, oldcalcwin10.zip, is the same file as in my other post. Double-clicking on that file launches an install dialog. At no time does the calculator itself appear. To launch the calculator, I needed to click on SYSTEM32\calc1.exe

Summarizing:

- Double-clicking an installable EXE file launches the installer.
    - Double-clicking a non-installable EXE file launches the program itself.

Note that I have already created a shortcut to calc1.exe on my desktop. "If it works, don't break it!" Therefore, no other helpful suggestions are needed How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? :)

Thanks to all the generous volunteers for their responses.

13. Barman58 Win User

Double clicking on the zip file here opens the zip file which contains a single file Old Calculator for Windows 10.exe which is the installer.

This installs the file Calc1.exe to this location C:\Windows\System32\

The temp location is a Red herring in that it is used only to create the exe in the right location *Redface

If you create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\ Calc1.exe this should invoke the old calculator

Barman58, Jan 12, 2018
  14. .
    FindEveryFile is the most amazing program for a Windows tool. It reminds me of the old Unix tools with dozens of options and flags.

I was using Agent Ransack long before the search box at lower left of Windows was introduced. AR has many search expressions, including regex, boolean, and text within files. AFAIK, none of these are available with the Windows search.

But, at a quick glance, FindEveryFile has even more search expressions than AR How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? :)

FEF easily wins the speed comparison versus AR. With a search option of *.*, FEF found 240,000 files in 7 seconds (I have one of those posh SSD things).

AR took about 20 seconds. To be fair, I've never used *.* with AR, but it has always seemed adequately fast to me.

Thanks for that great recommendation How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? :)

OldGrantonian, Jan 13, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    You are Welcome.
    It's night and day compared to file explorer search.

zbook, Jan 13, 2018
Thema:

1. How to locate an EXE file that I have just installed? - Similar Threads - locate EXE file

2. i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.: i get the message "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor..." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-problem-with-installing-msi-files-exe-is/a22bbd1a-86b0-472c-97fb-84df31de31e0
  3. i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have a problem with installing Msi files, exe is fine.: i get the message "this installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor..." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-problem-with-installing-msi-files-exe-is/a22bbd1a-86b0-472c-97fb-84df31de31e0
  4. Location of Windows Snipping tool .exe file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location of Windows Snipping tool .exe file.: I saw an earlier answer to this that didn't work for me. Difference may be that I am using Windows 11 and they weren't. I need to find the .exe file for Windows Snipping tool I am trying to program a new keyboard. Thanks y'all....
  5. Location of Windows Snipping tool .exe file.

Location of Windows Snipping tool .exe file.: I saw an earlier answer to this that didn't work for me. Difference may be that I am using Windows 11 and they weren't. I need to find the .exe file for Windows Snipping tool I am trying to program a new keyboard. Thanks y'all....
  6. I moved a file just to find it's not in the file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I moved a file just to find it's not in the file location: I'm moving all my files so I can install a new SSD. I created one file "To Store" on my desktop with some files. I created another file "to Store" and moved it to the desktop. I looked at the desktop and found the second file isn't there. Or anywhere. What do I do? I have no...
  7. I moved a file just to find it's not in the file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I moved a file just to find it's not in the file location: I'm moving all my files so I can install a new SSD. I created one file "To Store" on my desktop with some files. I created another file "to Store" and moved it to the desktop. I looked at the desktop and found the second file isn't there. Or anywhere. What do I do? I have no...
  8. I moved a file just to find it's not in the file location

9. Exe File Location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exe File Location: Hey guys, I installed a driver with an exe file a while back for a school project but no longer need it and I'm wondering if I am able to figure out which driver it installed from the exe file. I couldn't find it in my system's drivers so I am asking if there is a way to...
  10. CODECs .exe file location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CODECs .exe file location: Downloaded this .exe file, which landed in Documents. Should it be in Apps folder? Want to successfully install it. Never before had anything to do with an .exe file....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. :\Windows\System32\calc1.exe