Windows 10: How to make different computers see network the same way.

Discus and support How to make different computers see network the same way. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 4 computers on my home network using a Netgear R7000 router. It does not have a HomeGroup. 1 Windows 10 pro, cable 2 Windows 10 Pro,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stanhilliard, Mar 4, 2018.

1. How to make different computers see network the same way.

I have 4 computers on my home network using a Netgear R7000 router. It does not have a HomeGroup.

1 Windows 10 pro, cable
    2 Windows 10 Pro, wireless latop
    3 windows 10 Home, wireless laptop
    4 Windows 98, cable

My goal: I would like to have #1, #2 & #3 see each other and to be able to map #4 to drives/folders on #1, #2 & #3.

Describing each computer in [Networks] of File Explorer:
    #1 can't see any other computers, including itself.
    #2 Sees all other computers, including itself and Readyshare of then R7000 router.
    #3 Sees itself only.
    #4 Used to map to drives on #1, #2 & #3, but now it wants a password. the login passwords don't work.

Question-1 I especially can't understand why #1 doesn't see the same as #2. How can I make that happen?

Question-2 On #4, When I try to map to drives on #1, #2 & #3 it asks for a password. Where do I set that up?

Question-3 Should I establish a HomeGroup?

:)

stanhilliard, Mar 4, 2018

2. Can't see workgroup computers on same network

Hi Rmilyard,

Thanks for the update.

Glad to know that your issue is resolved.

Reply us back if you need any further assistance with windows. We will be glad to help.

Deepak..Raghav, Mar 4, 2018
  3. Can't see workgroup computers on same network

Hi Rmilyard,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

To guide you in right direction we want to know:

• Do you get any error message while connecting?

• Have you installed all the updates on your computer?

I suggest you to run the network troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update Network Adapter.

Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager.

• Expand Network Adapter.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update.

I suggest you to refer the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/getstarted-why-cant-i-get-connected

Method 2: Run network troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control panel.

• In the search box, type Troubleshooter
      and then click Troubleshooting.

• Under Network and Internet.

• Click on Network adaptor and Click on Next button.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Mar 4, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

How to make different computers see network the same way.

Answering the last question first - no, don't set up a HomeGroup. Apart from never having worked terribly reliably, HomeGroup is being removed in the next release of Windows 10, due out in April.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums

Check to see if you have SMB1 enabled on all Win10 PCs. You'll need it for the older '98 PC on the network. See this thread for more on setting up SMB1....
    No longer able to see my computers under "network" in File explorer.

By default sharing on Windows 10 uses password-protected sharing.

*Arrow Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10

You may need to turn off password-protected sharing for the '98 PC to be able to connect. Turned off, protection is controlled by the ntfs permissions on the folder being shared. The simplest way to let the '98 PC see the files on the folder being shared would be to grant EVERYONE a minimum or Read permission on that folder.

Connecting the other way (Win10 reading/writing to a share on '98) is much easier to set up, you may find it simpler just to do all your transfers to/from the '98 PC from the Win10 machines.

Bree, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Thanks Bree. My system seems to be working pefectly now.

I enabled SMB1 on the three Windows 10 computers. I also changed settings to match another recent thread, Suddenly sharing not working Solved - Windows 10 Forums because my experience has been that the computers have been seeing differently at different times.

Each of my three Win10 computers can see the other two now. The Win98 still demands a password in order to map to the Win10s, but I have accomplish my purpose by mapping each Win10 to folders on the Win98 -- accessing Win98 from the Win10s.

All seems to be working just the way I wanted it. I consider the problem solved

Regarding SMB1, I learned with google that SMB1 is vulnerable to the WannaCry Trojan ransomware virus aka MEM:Trojan.Win64.EquationDrug.gen. My Kaspersky Internet Security claims to protect against WannaCry with its System Watcher component. I am willing to depend on Kaspersky to keep its detection technology current.

I am curious that my Windows 10 computer #1 shows itself and #2,#3 and #4 as part of the network in File Explorer, while #2 and #3 show only the other two Win10 computers -- but not themselves nor #4=Win98. What could explain this?

stanhilliard, Mar 7, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    What network is running on win98 as by default it used to use netbui and there was not tcip unless you added it

Samuria, Mar 7, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    As I understand it, the most vulnerable part of SMB1 is the Server. Up to 1703 there was just the one 'tick box' in Window Features to control SMB1. In the wake of WannaCry 1709 expanded this to add individual control over the Client and Server functions (plus a third option to automatically remove SMB1 if not used for 15 days).

How to make different computers see network the same way. [​IMG]

Only the Client need be enabled for network discovery to see the PC names on the network and to be able to connect to shares on a legacy server like the '98 PC. The Server is only required if you want the '98 PC to be able to connect to W10 shares.

Then you don't need the Server.

Bree, Mar 7, 2018
  8. How to make different computers see network the same way.

In Device Manager: Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter

9. Bree New Member
    In Device Manager: Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter That tells us the hardware, but not the protocol(s) it is running. In Win95/98 look in Control Panel > Network.

Bree, Mar 7, 2018
  10. I switched #1 SMB1 server off & rebooted. Following that #1 & #4 did not display in the Network section of File Manager. (The mapping from #1 to #4 still worked as before.)

So I switched the server back on. Still, #1 and #4 did not show as they did before turning the SMB1 server off! That doesn't make sense to me. The next morning (today, after being shut off overnight) #1 and #4 were back in #1's Network!

Factors that might explain the apparent instability:

(1) I am wondering if order of startup matters to how sharing works -- I started #4 first and then #1.

(2) Also startup of #1 was unusual today. It took an extremely long time. It hung on a screen that offers a duel boot choice between Win10 and a Macriam recovery system. Instead of a 10 second wait, I waited 10 minutes and then walked away for an hour. At that time the long delay had finished and #1 was at its login screen.

I am happy with current capabilities but would like to understand that strangeness.

11. Bree New Member
    You don't actually get the names from each PC itself, you ask the Master Browser for a list of PCs it has found. Only one PC will be the Master Browser, they hold an election when a new PC is powered up - could be any of the PCs depending on the order in which they were turned on.

Similar problem and some fixes here....

windows 10 not showing computers in network in file browser

12. Bindings Tab:
    [X] IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol -> Linksys LNE101TX(v5)Fast Ethernet Adapter
    [X] NetBeui -> Linksys LNE101TX(v5)Fast Ethernet Adapter
    [X] TCP/IP -> Linksys LNE101TX(v5)Fast Ethernet Adapter

stanhilliard, Mar 8, 2018
  13. How to make different computers see network the same way.

New issue - My network is no longer working as it had after it was fixed. This after I made a change and can't change it back.

I reported earlier that the network was just the way I wanted to be. Each of the three Win10 computers could see the other two in Network. And I could map from the Win10s to Win98 folders.

I changed this by turning off the SMB1 servers of the two Win10's that had that option -- #1 & #3. I left the SMB1 clients on.
    But then, starting #1 first, #1 can see everything in Network, but can not be seen by #2 or #3. (I have not tested other startup scenarios.)

I turned SMB1 servers back on for #1 and #3 so the configuration would be like when all was well. But that had no effect. #2 and #3 still cannot see #1 in Network. This was yesterday and the same after shutting everything down overnight.

What could have gone wrong?

stanhilliard, Mar 8, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
  15. I reset network adapters on all three windows 10 computers. Now the results are reversed. Computer #1 can see everything including itself and the win98 in Network. Computer #2 and #3 can only see #1 -- not each other or themselves.

Settings on #1 and #2 and #3:

#1 Advance sharing settings (Current profile) -- Private & Turn on network discovery

#2 Make this PC discoverable -- ON
    #2 Advance sharing settings (Current profile) -- Private & Turn on network discovery

#3 Network Profile -- Private
    #3 Advance sharing settings (Current profile) -- Private & Turn on network discovery

What might be the cause of #2 and #3 not seeing each other in Network, yet they both can see #1 and #1 can see them both?

stanhilliard, Mar 10, 2018
Thema:

How to make different computers see network the same way.

1. How to make different computers see network the same way. - Similar Threads - different computers network

2. Computers on same network randomly see or don't see each other.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computers on same network randomly see or don't see each other.: I have three computers on my home network full time and a few more occasionally.The three that are always on the network are One old computer running Windows 7One new desktop running Windows 10One recent laptop running Windows 11[All three are fully updated for the versions...
  3. Computers on same network randomly see or don't see each other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computers on same network randomly see or don't see each other.: I have three computers on my home network full time and a few more occasionally.The three that are always on the network are One old computer running Windows 7One new desktop running Windows 10One recent laptop running Windows 11[All three are fully updated for the versions...
  4. Computers on same network randomly see or don't see each other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK: This article is published, because we have received numerous customer’s queries, complaints, and feedback, that they need an action plan to access different machines on a same network and effective ways to troubleshoot them. In this article, we discussed ways to setup a...
  6. DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK

DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS DIFFERENT WINDOWS MACHINES ON A SAME NETWORK: This article is published, because we have received numerous customer’s queries, complaints, and feedback, that they need an action plan to access different machines on a same network and effective ways to troubleshoot them. In this article, we discussed ways to setup a...
  7. how to setup two computers on same network with different owners

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to setup two computers on same network with different owners: Windows 11 Pro on both machines https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-two-computers-on-same-network-with/c7caa05d-4dc9-4383-a699-7b432481151a
  8. how to setup two computers on same network with different owners

how to setup two computers on same network with different owners: Windows 11 Pro on both machines https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-two-computers-on-same-network-with/c7caa05d-4dc9-4383-a699-7b432481151a
  9. Shared clipboard on different computers on the same network

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shared clipboard on different computers on the same network: I use the Windows 10 clipboard feature Win + V, everything that is copied goes to it, however, I am facing a problem. Two computers of the same model elitedesk 800 g2 were sharing the clipboard, everything that one copied the other also copied, that is, they were sharing the...
  10. Two computers on the same network see different amount of networked pc's...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two computers on the same network see different amount of networked pc's...: I have two computers in my office. My desktop and a laptop that goes home with me every night. When at work I connect my laptop to our offices hard wired workgroup of pc's, and I also have it connected to wifi so that I can get online as well. Most of our hardwired, networked...