Windows 10: How to make logical drive with Windows 10 installed boot again?

Discus and support How to make logical drive with Windows 10 installed boot again? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. This is fairly complicated so I apologize in advance. A few days ago, I let Windows update itself. It took many hours and many restarts, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mondschatten, Jul 6, 2018.

1. How to make logical drive with Windows 10 installed boot again?

Hi. This is fairly complicated so I apologize in advance.

A few days ago, I let Windows update itself. It took many hours and many restarts, but appeared fine the next day except the sound wasn't working even though Windows detected no problems. Restarting didn't help so I shut it completely off. But, then it would not boot up - after the BIOS beep, it just sat on a black screen with the hard drive light fully on. I could tell, though, that it wasn't booting. I haven't been able to boot up with that Windows installation since, no matter what I do.

The drive is 1 TB and is broken up into 3 partitions. Before this incident, the boot partition was 100 GB and pretty much only had Windows on it (this was C drive) while the D drive was about 800 GB and I had a 30 GB swap file partition, as well. I read somewhere that this was a good setup for speed and efficiency.

After hours of trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with the boot files/partition/etc. of the then C drive (the 100 GB partition), I gave in and re-installed Windows, but had to do it on the then D drive (the 800 GB partition). The Windows Repair program would not let me install it over my old installation. For that to be an option, apparently I needed to choose the Upgrade option available only if I was already running Windows. So, I had to go with Custom.

Now, my C drive is the 800 GB drive (used to be D) and the E drive is the 100 GB drive (used to be C). It works fine, except I really don't want to have to re-install ALL my software, some of which I may not even have anymore. But the old installation still just hangs immediately when I choose to try to boot it instead of the working Windows installation. I am pretty sure some boot files or the partition got messed up by Windows and I feel like there must be a simple command to get it right, but I have gotten nowhere with Diskpart, bootrec, or BCDEdit. Windows Repair tells me rather quickly that it can't fix the problem either.

Can anyone think of what I might be able to try to get my other Windows installation working again?

Currently, it is just a logical drive so it is not going to be bootable anyway. I don't really know why that happened. Shouldn't it have retained its primary partition status? Or is that the whole problem? If so, how can I get it back to being bootable without losing data?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help.

:)

Mondschatten, Jul 6, 2018
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Jul 6, 2018
  3. sttubs Win User
    Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Jul 6, 2018
  4. How to make logical drive with Windows 10 installed boot again?

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

How to make logical drive with Windows 10 installed boot again?

1. How to make logical drive with Windows 10 installed boot again? - Similar Threads - logical drive installed

2. How to make a Booting Pen Drive for Windows 7 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make a Booting Pen Drive for Windows 7 ?: How to make a Bootable Pen Drive to boot my Windows 7 Computer ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-a-booting-pen-drive-for-windows-7/611043ec-5abd-4266-a8ac-e1729f70e3be
  3. How to make a Booting Pen Drive for Windows 7 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make a Booting Pen Drive for Windows 7 ?: How to make a Bootable Pen Drive to boot my Windows 7 Computer ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-a-booting-pen-drive-for-windows-7/611043ec-5abd-4266-a8ac-e1729f70e3be
  4. How to make the Windows 10 taskbar black again.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make the Windows 10 taskbar black again.: As of Windows version 21H2, the usual hacks don't work anymore Settings, Personalization, ColorsThere is not obvious way to have a beautiful black taskbar, now it's just an ugly gray. I need this fixed, it really bothers me....
  5. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are logical drives?: What are logical drives? What are they for? And why should I use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-logical-drives/62da9feb-99cb-42a3-ba02-f03622540c0f
  6. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are logical drives?: What are logical drives? What are they for? And why should I use them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-logical-drives/62da9feb-99cb-42a3-ba02-f03622540c0f
  7. What are logical drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  9. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  10. How do I make One Drive work again in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make One Drive work again in Windows 10?: One Drive was active and working (from September 19, 2018 when I received my new laptop) until about the end of October 2018. My system: Windows 10 on HP Laptop with Solid State Drive One Drive is still installed (listed under Programs and Features). Is there a...