Windows 10: How to make MY PC mine?

Discus and support How to make MY PC mine? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an HP Desktop which I bought a couple of years ago with Windows 10. I have since accustomed myself to the differences between 7 and 10. There is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by garoessler, Jan 13, 2018.

1. How to make MY PC mine?

I have an HP Desktop which I bought a couple of years ago with Windows 10. I have since accustomed myself to the differences between 7 and 10. There is one, however, that annoyed me then and try as I might to get over it, it still drives me nuts! I belatedly ask for your help.

Desktop PC. MINE. I am the only user, ever! This PC is ME, but only in my own mind. In previous versions of windows, PC translated as MY COMPUTER and showed the device structure, as well as My Documents, My This, My That. As we all know, ten THIS PC shows Documents, et al. But they are not mine. (Who else could they belong to???) I have my own user folder, Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. This really annoys me, but I do not know how to change it. The tail wags the dog.

I have made work-arounds, the best of them being placing my USER folder in Quick Access, but there are still times when I lose things only to find them in the annals of This PC. It is unnerving!!

Can anyone tell me how I can make THIS PC synonymous with ME? Who is running this show anyway? Obviously not me.

TIA,
    Georgia

:)

garoessler, Jan 13, 2018

2. How to make "continue on PC" respect my default browser configuration

So apparently I'm not the only one with this issue:

How can I change the default browser that Continue on PC opens?

The "Continue on PC" is a neat idea and it would be awesome, if it weren't because it completely ignores the "Default Browser" setting, and it opens the webpage in edge.

Me, like many others, don't like to use Edge. Is there a way to use "Continue on PC" so it opens the links in my preferred web browser, or is it another way that Microsoft has to push Edge down our throats?

RodrigoÚbeda Nuño, Jan 13, 2018
  3. How to make "continue on PC" respect my default browser configuration

You can't right now. It's basically the same as how Apple and Google do it, forcing you to accept their defaults if you want to use their tools.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 13, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

How to make MY PC mine?

Can you post one or more screen shots to show what you are talking about?
    When I open This PC , this is what I see:

How to make MY PC mine? [​IMG]

I don't find it confusing at all. What do you see? Is it different?

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2018
  5. spunk Win User
    So, you are complaining because This PC doesn't have the words My PC or My Computer? And Documents doesn't have the word My in front of it??

spunk, Jan 13, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

sorry to state the 'bleedin obvious here' but doesn't right mouse click on This PC have a rename function etc. !!! and delete the other folders you don't like.

However if that's the only problem you have using Windows you are a very lucky person !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 13, 2018
  7. Try3 Win User
    Georgia,

If the Documents etc links within This PC do not take you to your own user folders [C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents etc] then where do they take you?
    • Do please note that the Documents etc links within This PC have the appearance of being folders but they are not. They are merely shortcuts to your user folders.

Denis

8. sml156 Win User

How to make MY PC mine?

Just rename " This PC "

How to make MY PC mine? [​IMG]

sml156, Jan 13, 2018
  9. Edwin New Member
    I think the OP is just mesmerized as to what Windows decides to display as the default path from which ever directory or virtual folder.

Edwin, Jan 13, 2018
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I believe Windows 10 by default now places your folders on OneDrive. You need to disable OneDrive to get them back where they belonmg under your User folder.
    @Brink, am I remembering this wrong?

Ztruker, Jan 13, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 13, 2018
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks, not exactly what I was remembering.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to make MY PC mine?

1. How to make MY PC mine? - Similar Threads - mine

2. Expand Volume help please...mine is grayed out and I have allocated space available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand Volume help please...mine is grayed out and I have allocated space available: Nuts and bolts of the situation, Running an HP 17" 4by laptop. I just upgraded the C drive SSD from 128 GB to 500 GB. Cloning process went smoothly and error free. Anyhow I try to allocate the new available space I have an lo and behold I can not. Please advise. Here are some...
  3. Expand Volume help please...mine is grayed out and I have allocated space available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand Volume help please...mine is grayed out and I have allocated space available: Nuts and bolts of the situation, Running an HP 17" 4by laptop. I just upgraded the C drive SSD from 128 GB to 500 GB. Cloning process went smoothly and error free. Anyhow I try to allocate the new available space I have an lo and behold I can not. Please advise. Here are some...
  4. Expand Volume help please...mine is grayed out and I have allocated space available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting profiles that aren't mine ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting profiles that aren't mine ?: An old profile that cost me a computer, and a smart phone, keeps reappearing as my account. I want it GONE it's already cost me over $425.00 and $170.00 and it's attempting to highjack my devices again. Not to mention weeks of massive wages. Since I make $150.00 an hour and...
  6. Deleting profiles that aren't mine ?

Deleting profiles that aren't mine ?: An old profile that cost me a computer, and a smart phone, keeps reappearing as my account. I want it GONE it's already cost me over $425.00 and $170.00 and it's attempting to highjack my devices again. Not to mention weeks of massive wages. Since I make $150.00 an hour and...
  7. Microsoft account unknown email added and mine removed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account unknown email added and mine removed: As of February 16 my secondary Microsoft account associated with the gmail *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was accessed by presumably a hacker and my email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was removed, and in place of it he added his, *** Email...
  8. Microsoft account unknown email added and mine removed

Microsoft account unknown email added and mine removed: As of February 16 my secondary Microsoft account associated with the gmail *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was accessed by presumably a hacker and my email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** was removed, and in place of it he added his, *** Email...
  9. Microsoft account unknown email added and mine removed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. when i open my email only my wifes comes up not mine

when i open my email only my wifes comes up not mine: when i open my email only my wife's comes up not mine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-open-my-email-only-my-wifes-comes-up-not/7a120da4-c607-4e91-8162-91e3449ca5c7