Windows 10: How to make Photoscape the default image handler

Discus and support How to make Photoscape the default image handler in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone, So, I have just bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 14) running Win10. After Win7 everything is a bit of a shock. The current problem I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gobackto3point1, Feb 17, 2016.

1. How to make Photoscape the default image handler

Hi everyone,

So, I have just bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 14) running Win10. After Win7 everything is a bit of a shock. The current problem I have encountered (there are many more) is that I don't seem to be able to force Win 10 to make Photoscape the default app for managing images. I can open individual photos with the program but only by using the 'open with' option.

Trying to use 'Settings', it tells me Photoscape is there, however, it is listed as 'unavailable'. Furthermore, when attempting to make the change Win 10 lists only its own photo app or 'Go to the store'.

Any thoughts that don't require a PhD in advanced programming would be appreciated.

:)

gobackto3point1, Feb 17, 2016

2. Microsoft Edge Overrides Default Program for PDF

Changing the file handler isn't a security flaw (it can be a flaw, but not a security flaw) because there's no escalation of privilge. The file handler is just a reader, and reading a file with a different/wrong program won't suddenly let that program achieve
    root access to the PC.

But they are trying to make it less of a shock. In new insider versions of Windows 10 at least inform the user about this situation if it arrises. You'll see a notification that says the "{app name} forced an invalid registry change and the default handler
    for {file type} has been reset to default handler of {default}. Click {here} to set your defaults."

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 17, 2016
  3. Selecting apps to open files while using Open with on Windows 10

Old title: selecting apps to open files

As is well-known, when right-clicking on a file in Explorer and selecting 'Open with', one is offered various apps to use.

By default, I open .jpg files with a viewer but sometimes wish to open them with an editor. On right-clicking such a file, the options given are IE, Paint or my default viewer. However, for editing I use PhotoScape which (as I expect is well-known) is
    a highly-functional free image editor.

I would like PhotoScape to appear as an option when I right-click on an image file and choose 'open with'. How can I do this?

I've tried the 'look for another app' feature, but that is effective for the one time only.

Please don't suggest that I use any of the Windows Store apps - owing to an issue which Microsoft has been unable to resolve, I can't access Windows store, Photo viewer or any such app. I use a 3rd-party viewer for this reason, as well as to get more functionality
    than the basic Windows apps give.

ChrisMorey, Feb 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How to make Photoscape the default image handler

Hi, from Win 8 on you can't set a program as default from within the program. Only one or two tell you that, alas. So that has to be done from Settings, the Control Panel, or Open With. You probably knew that anyway as part of your pre-course reading...*Biggrin

Suggest you try going here:

How to make Photoscape the default image handler [​IMG]

and seeing if you can set the default from there.

Note that there are peculiarities in Win 10 about setting defaults, and e.g. hyperlink associations need to be set via the control panel if changing from the default, Edge. You may get oddly reprompted about your default via Open With, and some report defaults reset on restart e.g. (attributed so far to obsolete 3rd party progs e.g. old version Winzip).

Note: You'll feel much more comfortable if you use Classic Shell (freeware) as your start menu. The Win 10 start menu does not express a traditional hierarchical start menu in a usable, complete or sensible way. (Sad, isn't it?). Oh, you can use both if you install C Shell and launch universal apps from it too. (You can even get yourself a Win 7 Orb..! And I've used Icon Changer to change a good number of icons to Win 7's).

Experiment cautiously with Settings- especially privacy. Cortana can be easily offended. (And it's not too much use - my opinion).

Use 3rd party disk imaging.. and oh, system restore is off by default in Win 10, and restore points are not set on MS updates.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2016
  5. OK dalchina, thanks for that. I will have a quick play around and see what happens.*Confused

gobackto3point1, Feb 17, 2016
  6. Hi dalchina,
    Just wanted to send a quick message of thanks for your efforts assisting me with sorting out default apps. Having seen your post it made sense right away. I missed it as I'm still thinking Win7 terms and looking for familiar screens. This Win10 beast is going to take some taming. Still not sure about it yet. It's like fighting with big marshmallow.

gobackto3point1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to make Photoscape the default image handler

1. How to make Photoscape the default image handler - Similar Threads - Photoscape default image

2. How to make Photoshop your default Image Editor in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to make Photoshop your default Image Editor in Windows 11/10: [IMG]Want to make Photoshop your default Image Editor? In this post, we will show you how to set Photoshop as the default app for opening and editing image files on a Windows 11/10 PC. Image files in Windows 11 are set to open with the Photos app by default. This is fine as...
  3. How to make msconfig the default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make msconfig the default?: Hello, I changed the settings in msconfig. I enabled all CPU cores and all of my games started to lag heavily. Initially everything was fine, but now that I've done it, everything is running poorly. I've already completely reset my computer, but it didn't help. How can I fix...
  4. How to make msconfig the default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make msconfig the default?: Hello, I changed the settings in msconfig. I enabled all CPU cores and all of my games started to lag heavily. Initially everything was fine, but now that I've done it, everything is running poorly. I've already completely reset my computer, but it didn't help. How can I fix...
  5. How do I make Edge default Gmail Email handler?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make Edge default Gmail Email handler?: So whenever I click on Email address literally anywhere on Internet I want Gmail web to open. Is this possible? I see some Google Chrome tutorials for that but don't really for Edge. submitted by /u/Super_Govedo [link] [comments]...
  6. How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?: I'm using Windows 10 on three computers. After updating Windows, my default handler of PDF-files is changed to Edge. I want to use Acrobat Reader....
  7. How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files?: This Windows 10 is getting crappier and crappier! *Mad Apparently due to some recent Windows 10 update the default application to handle .ics (calendar) files is suddenly set to the Windows 10 Calendar app. Since I never use that crappy app I wanted to assign this back to...
  8. Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer

Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer: Photoscape is an app that is functioning normally. I want to make it my Default Photo Viewer. When I go to Settings/Default Apps it is not on the list On one attempt to set, it stated that Photoscape was "unavailable" (not sure where that occurred) I have tried a number...
  9. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists: Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way. 2. How to...
  10. How to make the Start be the default?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make the Start be the default?: I just built a new machine. When It starts it opens to the Windows back ground image. I have to click the start icon in the task bar to bring up start with the tiles. On my other machines and my surface it defaults to the start with Tiles. Also, clicking any where on the...