Windows 10: How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default

Discus and support How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Can that be done? Since it's a setting, there must be registry entries for the defaults, right? 85499 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Wombat Pete, May 26, 2017.

1. How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default

Can that be done? Since it's a setting, there must be registry entries for the defaults, right?

:)

Wombat Pete, May 26, 2017

2. wordpad tutorial

Thanks for the partial answer: I had assumed the carriage return was automatic in

wordpad.

What is difference between word & wordpad?

Single spacing: I select '1' but still get double spacing on each line, including paragraphs. The check mark does not seem to hold in the selection box but returns to 1.5 each time.

Is a wordpad tutorial or user guide available in Microsoft?

Very nice of you to respond so quickly, thank you

klaro 1590, May 26, 2017
  3. Kfaith48 Win User
    Wordpad

how do you get wordpad on windows 10 to single space. also is there a special way you can bring wordpad back to default. I messed wordpad up trying to get it to single space.

Kfaith48, May 26, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default

5. Berton Win User
    The problem with WordPad [and Write from Win3.xx/earlier] is it is a very basic word processor and has few things one can change and retain. Creating the blank document as suggested is the best way but not for computers used by 2 or more people since it is a customizable file. Or get one of the free office suites such as LibreOffice, do a Custom install of only that which one needs.

Historical note: Write is still a command/executable in Win10 and opens WordPad.

Berton, May 26, 2017
  6. That was extremely helpful! Both the soft return tip and the unformatted document default. Bizarre that you can't make it stick with RTF. Would the "txt + MS-dos formatting?" option be any better?

Thank you!

7. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I really don't know. You'll just have to try it and see. Anyway, glad we could help a bit.

regards,

8. How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default

The problem with installing another program is installing another program. I try to avoid that where possible. I do have more sophisticated word processors for other purposes.

And the odd thing isn't that wordpad doesn't retain settings (although that's odd, they're pretty basic settings), but that it retains them for an unformatted text but won't for an rtf text, even with the same "remember settings" box ticked. Anyway, not the end of the world. Thanks, all!

Interesting that the write cmd is still there - but it doesn't appear to open wordpad in a way that helps, does it?

9. Berton Win User
    It's really not too odd, it's Microsoft's way of providing some usefulness but also a free way of directing one to get Word or Office which does cost money but gives lots features.

Microsoft also made Works available cheaply to OEMs for inclusion on computers. It was a 'lite' version of Microsoft Office but there were issues with file formats between Office and Works. They also had Works Suite which replaced the word processor portion with a version of Word, sometimes a slightly older version. That was useful for folks who took work home but couldn't use Works with it, also helped it prodding them into Office.

Write simply opens WordPad in its default condition.

Berton, May 26, 2017
  10. jpeni Win User
    Open Custom RTF Template File with Wordpad
    I created a WordPadTemplate so I could execute Wordpad with a custom RTF file.
    Use the following procedure to open a template RTF file with WordPad:
    1. Create a RTF template
    a. Open a WordPad document
    b. Type a SPACE with the space bar. Click Ctrl+A to select the space. (Note: If there is no "space" to select, your changes to the document customized settings will not persist).
    c. Make all desired changes to font, paragraph spacing, line spacing, tabs, etc.
    d. Save the custom RTF file (I saved mine as WordPadTemplate.rtf).
    e. Set the new RTF file to read-only.
    2. Create a BATCH file that contains the following command:
    start wordpad.exe wordpadtemplate.rtf
    NOTE: The Start command prevents the command prompt from displaying.
    3. Save this batch file as a .BAT file (I named mine WordPadTemplate.bat) in the same folder as the above .RTF template file.
    4. Place the new RTF template file (WordPadTemplate.rtf) and the .BAT file (wordpadtemplate.bat) in the same folder. I placed both files in C:\Windows.
    5. You can now send this .BAT file to the desktop to create an icon that will automatically open the RTF template file in WordPad.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Convert BAT file to EXE file
    Wordpadtemplate.bat can be converted to a wordpadtemplate.exe file so it can be executed from the taskbar. You can Pin an exe to the taskbar by right-clicking the exe file and selecting "Pin to taskbar" or "Pin to start". You cannot pin a BATCH file to the taskbar or start in this manner. If you use an .exe file - the .rtf and .bat file must also be copied to the same folder. In addition, exclude the exe file in your antivirus in case it is detected as malware. Running the exe file executes Wordpad with the custom wordpadtemplate.rtf file.

jpeni, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default

1. How to make single line & paragraph spacing the Wordpad default - Similar Threads - single line paragraph

2. How to insert a single space between multiple paragraphs without hitting Enter the whole time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to insert a single space between multiple paragraphs without hitting Enter the whole time: Hi I hope someone can help. I need to format a large amount of documents and insert a single space ^p between each paragraph as follows: ABCDEFGHICurrently the documents are all single spaced and I need to insert a solid ^p after each paragraph. The current format is as...
  3. Single line spacing when pressing enter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Single line spacing when pressing enter: Hi guys,by pressing some magical short cut never heard before at lease I couldn't find anything on Google..., I changed the default line spacing in Windows 10, not just Word when pressing Enter from double to single spacing.Before, it was like this:Enter = Double spacingEnter...
  4. Single line spacing when pressing enter

Single line spacing when pressing enter: Hi guys,by pressing some magical short cut never heard before at lease I couldn't find anything on Google..., I changed the default line spacing in Windows 10, not just Word when pressing Enter from double to single spacing.Before, it was like this:Enter = Double spacingEnter...
  5. wordpad why double spaced between lines?

in Windows 10 Customization
    wordpad why double spaced between lines?: wordpad why douyble spaced btween lines? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wordpad-why-double-spaced-between-lines/72410944-7af4-4968-96f1-cb1e95b7d235
  6. WordPad line spacing questions

WordPad line spacing questions: In Windows 10 I've been making documents with pictures in them using Word Pad. In all other versions of Windows I've used, doing that method would paste the picture where I want it either by Ctrl+V or or right clicking and Paste. But in this Windows 10 version it almost...
  7. how to change to single spacing in wordpad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to change to single spacing in wordpad: None of the suggestions for single spacing in wordpad seem to work. The control+1 idea wipes out all the highlighted text. I just want to write a simple single spaced letter. Thanks...
  8. I want there to be no spacing between lines on a WordPad document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want there to be no spacing between lines on a WordPad document: trying to create a word document I’m unable to create a document with line spacing just like I’m currently typing on this questionaire https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-there-to-be-no-spacing-between-lines-on-a/33e2a226-016a-4cd4-9400-92e4d3aa6fd3"
  9. Wordpad Line Spacing

Wordpad Line Spacing: How can I change the line spacing in Wordpad to normal single spacing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wordpad-line-spacing/7eadc8a8-1ca3-4ebd-b08e-c2a56c619425
  10. Trying to set Wordpad default to single space

Trying to set Wordpad default to single space: Hi! I'd like to change Wordpad's default to single space, so that I won't have to go into Line Spacing to change this on every document. Thanks! 74588

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to single space in word pad

2. how get single line spacing in wordpad

3. change default to single space in Windows 10 wordpad

4. how to make single space in word pad,
  5. change line spacing in wordpad windows 10,
  6. line paragraph formatting wordpad in windows 10,
  7. wordpad How to Control Line and Paragraph Spacing,
  8. how do i set space above a paragraph in wordpad,
  9. how to single space on wordpad,
  10. single spacing wordpad,
  11. how di I get wordpad to default to single line spacing printable ,