Windows 10: How to make snipping tool default to new snip

Discus and support How to make snipping tool default to new snip in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I am trying to like it *Smile. One of the annoyances I've found so far is the snipping tool. When on Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by michont, Aug 26, 2015.

1. michont Win User

How to make snipping tool default to new snip

Hello,

Just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I am trying to like it *Smile. One of the annoyances I've found so far
    is the snipping tool. When on Win 7, when I did my shortcut keys to open it, it would automatically go
    into snipping mode so I could just move my mouse to create my snip. Now, it makes you select new and
    what type you'd like. I have looked around the settings to make it act like it did when in Win7 but so far
    no luck. Does anyone know how to make it just start like it did when using it before I upgraded?
    I only have interest in creating a snip this way. Thanks

:)

michont, Aug 26, 2015

2. How to start Snipping tool on Win10 in "ready to snip" mode.

Hi Rich,

This can be done using automation tools like AHK or Nirsoft's NirCmd command-line tool. Here is how to start Snipping Tool in "ready to snip" mode.

How to Start Snipping Tool in Capture Mode by Default?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/start-snipping-tool-capture-mode-default/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Richcom_ Win User
    How to start Snipping tool on Win10 in "ready to snip" mode.

Hi there,

Snipping Tool on WinVista and Win7 opens in a 'ready to snip' state. Currently on Windows 10 on my PC, when I open Snipping Tool I have to manually press 'new snip' before the program enters it's 'ready to snip' state.

Having to press 'new snip' after opening the Snipping Tool is completely redundant, because if I didn't want to make a new snip, why would I have opened the Snipping Tool? I need a way to fix this so that Snipping Tool acts the way it did in Win7 on Win10.
    Is there any way [maybe via regedit] to fix that problem, please?

Can Anyone help?

Rich.

Richcom_, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Busy Win User

Yes, having to make that one extra click is surprisingly irritating. I was very happy using the tool when it was 'ready to snip' with the last used setting. If I occasionally wanted to capture a menu, I could with just a few more clicks. Having to press 'new snip' each and every time seems pointless, slow and cumbersome.

5. topgundcp Win User
    The answer is NO. You can not set as in W 7
    The reason to change the behaviour before putting into snipping mode so the user can:
    • Select the type of snip such as : region, windows etc....
    • Snip popup menu/windows
    With Snipping tool, it is more efficient to use hot keys instead of mouse click.
    CTRL+PrintScreen ====> Snipping Mode
    ESC ====> Normal Mode

Snipping tool is only for basic screen capture. There are free screen capture tools that you can download and use a portable (no installation needed) such as:
    Greenshot - a free and open source screenshot tool for productivity

PicPick | All-in-one design tool, Screen Capture, Image Editor, Color Picker, Pixel Ruler and More

Which you can draw Callouts, Box, Arrow, high lite etc.....

topgundcp, Jun 15, 2016
  6. michont Win User
    Guys, thanks but this is almost a year old. I've accepted that Win 10 has its quirks and I really wish
    MS would just leave things alone sometimes. I also have been using shortcut keys on 10 as I did in 7 and No,
    I don't want to get another screenshot tool, I would have done so already. I take an occasional snip, it
    is simple and easy even though this extra step is needed for some reason on 10.

michont, Jun 16, 2016
  7. Not to start a debate, but I prefer the fact it doesn't start up in capture mode. Now I can start it and have it ready for when I'm ready without any extra clicks. People always complain, but they never stop to think that Microsoft can't make everyone happy all the time with every feature.

DeaconFrost, Jun 16, 2016
  8. michont Win User

So, you're saying that you have it ready without extra clicks, meaning it's ready to snip right away? How did you do that? Trust me, I'm old, lol, and have been working with MS since DOS only days. I just wished they had more options for this unless you're saying what I'm reading from you that you found a way.

michont, Jun 16, 2016
  9. No, I mean I like it the way you don't. I'm happy that it starts up without being in "ready to clip" mode. That's just my preference, though.

DeaconFrost, Jun 16, 2016
  10. michont Win User
    OK, gotcha.

michont, Jun 16, 2016
  11. Since1981 Win User
    Another long-time user and programmer (since 1981), here. One year later... can't help but wonder if it's occurred to him that when starting Snipping Tool in the new configuration (not ready to capture), he's still doing the extra clicks to get it started; he's just doing it ahead of time. Of course, he thinks he's setting himself up to operate more quickly than he could have under Win7, but he is not.

Two points (and I'll save the better for the latter):

1. Everyone should be happier with the tool starting in capture mode. If one uses it frequently and wants it ready to capture in a single click whenever one is logged in, Snipping Tool could be moved to the Quick Launch bar and one click gets it going. (Even that weren't the case and one wants to do something other than an immediate capture, simply clicking on the tool's menu bar to do whatever desired (options, change mode) still works with a single click, whether the tool is in capture mode or not.)

2. If, for whatever reason (not the least of which is too many things in the Quick Launch bar), some people still want to start Snipping Tool in standby, M$ could have made it possible, with mind-boggling ease, to give users the choice of opening the program in whatever mode they desire. They could have done this with a menu selection ([Options] being one good place to put it) and with command-line arguments. M$, being the owner of Windows®, has so many tools and reusable code lying around that an experienced M$ Snipping Tool programmer could add the necessary menu code in about the amount of time it's taken me to write this message. Adding the code for command-line arguments is a trivial exercise that can be done by any second-year Computer Science student with access to the source. Putting both options into the program would take very little coding and testing time and would not noticeably impact size (storage or RAM) or performance; there are far bigger code-bloat fish to fry than this.

There is really no good excuse for some of the things Micro$oft does -- which is a fault shared by many other vendors, by the way. They always come up with reasons
    How to make snipping tool default to new snip [​IMG]
    for their choices (of course!) -- but that does not mean that they chose the bases for their justifications wisely.

Since1981, Jul 24, 2017
  12. kutrovsky Win User
    I solved my problem with a free tool called AutoHotkey (autohotkey.com).

I used the following script which basically opens the Snipping tool, and presses on the "new snip" button whenever I press WIN+S
    Code: #s:: IfWinExist Snipping Tool WinActivate else Run "c:\windows\system32\SnippingTool.exe" WinWait, Snipping Tool,,1 ControlClick, x40 y40, Snipping Tool return[/quote] Enjoy.

kutrovsky, Oct 18, 2017
  13. RichG Win User

Hello and thanks for the posts on this annoying problem in Win10. I just tried kutrovsky's AHK script and when it runs it returns an error saying it can't find the SnippingTool.exe file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. The file is in this folder on my system, and can be run there by opening or clicking it manually.
    An ideas on how to fix this?
    Thanks

RichG, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to make snipping tool default to new snip - Similar Threads - snipping tool default

2. Snipping tool crashing on snip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool crashing on snip: Hi Team, see subject, snipping tol is crashing when creating snips. Sometimes it works when right clicking and making a snip but most of the time it just crashes. HAve tried resetting and also repairing the app.using a Windows 11 Home install on an intel i3 computer.here is...
  3. Snipping tool crashing on snip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping tool crashing on snip: Hi Team, see subject, snipping tol is crashing when creating snips. Sometimes it works when right clicking and making a snip but most of the time it just crashes. HAve tried resetting and also repairing the app.using a Windows 11 Home install on an intel i3 computer.here is...
  4. Unable to install snip and sketch./New snipping tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install snip and sketch./New snipping tool: Do help me. I'm on a dell. Windows 10 Home 22H2. I uninstalled it and now want to install, but am unable to. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-snip-and-sketchnew-snipping-tool/af0c73d0-2726-4d92-a03a-e4bcca9c2783
  5. Unable to install snip and sketch./New snipping tool

Unable to install snip and sketch./New snipping tool: Do help me. I'm on a dell. Windows 10 Home 22H2. I uninstalled it and now want to install, but am unable to. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-snip-and-sketchnew-snipping-tool/af0c73d0-2726-4d92-a03a-e4bcca9c2783
  6. Snipping Tool Not Sending Snips

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snipping Tool Not Sending Snips: Hello, Whenever I try to send a snip as either an attachment or in the body of an email, I receive the error "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail...
  7. SNIP SNIP TOOL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SNIP SNIP TOOL: Does anyone know where my screen snips are saved? I can't find it in files. I really don't know where they go Like I can't screenshot using Windows+prt sc while my laptop is in 360 degrees. It is bothersome....
  8. Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch

Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch: Since users have been asking since 2011, or so, about the inability of Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch to capture single images longer or wider than the viewable area of the screen, are there any plans to add this capability? I use Snagit at the office to supplement the...
  9. New snipping tool. Snip & Sketch

New snipping tool. Snip & Sketch: I have tried using the new snipping tool that is replacing the existing on. If I don't click on the pop up that appears asap, once is dissapears so does the image. I have been undable to find any of the images I have snipped. I tried searching using key words but to no...
  10. New snipping tool

New snipping tool: I used to use snipping tool all the time ..it was great. But now they have changed it.. every time I do a snip the background of the snip is a pinky red colour... No matter what the original colour of the screen I try to snip from. If I try prnt screen it too has this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. snipping tool default to new

2. how to make 2016 snipping tool act like 2010 snipping tool

3. snipping tool doesnt default to new

4. how to make snipping tool not select new every time,
  5. snipping tool windows 10 default to new,
  6. #s:: IfWinExist Snipping Tool WinActivate WinWait Snipping Tool 1 ControlClick x40 y40 Snipping Tool else Run c:\windows\system32\SnippingTool.exe WinWait Snipping Tool 1 ControlClick x40 y40 Snipping Tool command prompt