Windows 10: How to make Windows tablets a success

Discus and support How to make Windows tablets a success in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Until very recently, Windows 8 tablets were a huge missed opportunity for the industry. Before Microsoft dropped the licence fee for Windows on small... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whs, Dec 9, 2014.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

How to make Windows tablets a success

How to make Windows tablets a success: Stop PC makers getting security wrong | ZDNet

:)

2. Cortana isn't supported in the region/language you've selected - region is UK, language is English (UK), Speech is UK

I followed instructions on Tablet PC, with no success.

My main PC worked straight from upgrade... makes no sense!

Must be a bug.. hope will fix soon..

MarkFreeman, Dec 9, 2014
  3. ActiveSync won't connect via Bluetooth

Hello. OK. Well, the Imate described in the link was running Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone edition and that is what your phone is listed as running when I googled it so I thought they would look the same. It does appear to be close, though, e.g. #5 is Activesync
    and #8 is Settings.

So I am hoping the Bluetooth files we installed will make a difference this time. Turn on BT on PC and phone. Make phone discoverable (looks like it already is). Open BT settings on tablet. Click "new connection". It will search and find the phone. Do the
    "express setup". Input the passkeys. If the tablet returns a "connection failed" message again, stop, and let me know. We are looking for a successful connection on BOTH tablet and phone. If you have a successful connection, try to Connect via BT on the phone.

Resourceful, Dec 9, 2014
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

The days of "Tablets only" devices are IMO limited -- it's a dead end route.

Convertibles such as the Surface Pro 3 are the way forward -- and in this case the base OS can provide reasonable security -- in any case over 80% of domestic (i.e home) computer frauds are done by methods that NO SOFTWARE system can prevent - such as phishing, fake web sites, bad email links and general poor computer behaviour of the user population.

Most uninformed people for instance if they were to get an email from what looks like an official website saying they are (or even might be) entitled to an income tax refund would unthinkingly click on the link. Same with Banks etc.

No amount of computer software can prevent people from falling into these traps. Viruses these days are a fairly trivial part of the problem --people have moved on to other (more financially rewarding !!! ways of scamming people unfortunately) and these considering the general standard of education in most communities are much harder to defend against.

adware and zillions of pop ups are the most common annoyance these days as far as software is concerned and as some of these can behave as normal windows applications it's also almost impossible for AV software to defend against these either -- these generally get loaded on to your machine when looking for a download and you click the wrong button -- some sites are deliberately designed this way hiding the real download in between zillions of green arrows and "offers" !!!!.

The best thing to remember as I think an Irishman said " The price of Education is expensive but the price of Ignorance is Astronomical".

(amazing how many interesting sayings emanate from "The Emerald Isle !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2014
  5. The 2-in-1 and convertible form factor I can see being the new form factors of the Windows PC going forward. Tablet only is kind half-cocked for a Windows PC. A tablet only and a stylus however, that makes more sense to me as now that's a perfect note taking device.

Coke Robot, Dec 28, 2014
  6. Rickkins Win User
    Yea, I think the whole "tablet thang" has pretty much run its course. Not saying tabs will disappear, don't freak out. But, IMHO their use has peaked and is in decline. 2in1 things, with the twistable screen but attached keyboards may well rise in their place. Hell even I would consider getting one of those...

Fire at will...

Rickkins, Dec 28, 2014
  7. I didn't think I'd ever want an 8 inch Windows tablet as I thought those were just too small for anything, but with a Wacom stylus it's actually quite awesome. The on screen keyboard is very well laid out so I can type on it like on my Windows Phone landscape mode.

Coke Robot, Dec 28, 2014
  8. BunnyJ New Member

*Roflmao2

BunnyJ, Dec 29, 2014
  9. *Roflmao2 You haven't heard that old chestnut before? Heck, it's way older than me and I'm pretty old.

Lady Fitzgerald, Dec 29, 2014
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    I have a Kindle Reader (old style), and at the moment that seems to work for me. Would like a Surface 3 Pro, albeit just can't figure out what to do with it. Heck I haven't even used My Laptop in over a year.

11. I also have a Kindle, the El Cheapo modle with no keyboard, no PaperWhite screen, Wi-Fi connectivity only, and ads for screen savers. I got it for one purpose: to read books. And it works very well for that.

The only other thing I would want to use a tablet for is grocery and other shopping lists and directions I can read while working on a project (both of those needs currently being met by the use of paper—3x5 cards and letter sized; it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a tablet and I don't worry about breaking paper when I drop it or get it wet).

That said, if I ever get a tablet for anything other than a specific purpose, say using it as a remote control, it would be a Surface 3. The main downsides to the Surface 3 or my current notebooks are limited data storage and less battery life. The advantages are a real keyboard (kinda sorta), the ability to use programs I'm already familiar with, and more portability (my notebooks get pretty heavy after a while). Of course, a good smart phone could meet many, if not most, of my portability needs other than the inconvenience of the tiny screen (keep in mind I'm spoiled putrid by my three 24" monitors at home).

Lady Fitzgerald, Dec 29, 2014
  12. CalBear37 Win User
    We replaced our Kindle Fires with the 10-inch Winbook. Now doing a Google search or checking/responding to email is a pleasant task as opposed to the apps available for the Kindle Fire. And the larger screen is nicer too. We did get an inexpensive wireless keyboard to take on trips for convenience when responding with longer emails.

CalBear37, Dec 30, 2014
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

I use my Nexus 7 for navigation, free phone call from Europe to the US and within the US, checking mail on the road and entertainment on the road. The 7" form factor is a nice size - large enough so that you can see things and small enough to fit into my bag.

The Nexus 7 is excellent quality, not too expensive and there are a LOT of free programs on the Google Playstore. Plus I wanted to familiarize myself with Android.

The 2014 model costs a bit more but is essentially the same.

Google Nexus 7 review | The Verge

14. Tony K Win User
    I feel there will always be different form factors to satisfy everyone’s needs. Companies look at market trends so they’re not caught with manufactured and over-stocked items sitting collecting dust for a loss.

So far as phones and tablets go, phablets just may be the next trend. Sales of them are rising, especially now that Apple released iPhone 6 Plus. Some are saying that Apple shot themselves in the foot by doing so, for their sales on smaller tabs are less. Here’s an article with some interesting stats. I've read elsewhere that 1 out of 4 phones sold are phablet size.

How to make Windows tablets a success [​IMG]

Source

Tony K, Dec 31, 2014
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    From that chart it is obvious that the smaller form factors (I guess up to 7") are preferred. But what is the difference between medium phones and small phones. Is a 4" screen medium or small ?

Thema:

1. How to make Windows tablets a success - Similar Threads - tablets success

2. Any way to get rid of this bar, using my tablet as wireless extended display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to get rid of this bar, using my tablet as wireless extended display: [ATTACH] Casual use and work mode it's not a problem. I'm usually not clicking up there. But when I'm gaming if I click on it, it minimizes the game. Annoying especially if you're in the middle of some action submitted by /u/ElGrandrei [link] [comments]...
  3. Tablet Mode for ACER SPIN Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tablet Mode for ACER SPIN Laptop: I have an ACER SPIN A3SP14-31PT-32M6 and Windows 11, fully updated.Before last week I was able to enter tablet mode automatically by folding the screen back. Keyboard on back would deactivate.Now the keyboard continues to work and if I rest it on anything it puts keystrokes...
  4. Tablet Mode for ACER SPIN Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tablet Mode for ACER SPIN Laptop: I have an ACER SPIN A3SP14-31PT-32M6 and Windows 11, fully updated.Before last week I was able to enter tablet mode automatically by folding the screen back. Keyboard on back would deactivate.Now the keyboard continues to work and if I rest it on anything it puts keystrokes...
  5. Mouse disappeared on a gateway tablet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse disappeared on a gateway tablet.: Windows gateway tablet my mouse disappeared and can't restore it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-disappeared-on-a-gateway-tablet/ef9cde91-6103-4f0f-9bb5-c5a8d0cde9d2
  6. Mouse disappeared on a gateway tablet.

Mouse disappeared on a gateway tablet.: Windows gateway tablet my mouse disappeared and can't restore it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-disappeared-on-a-gateway-tablet/ef9cde91-6103-4f0f-9bb5-c5a8d0cde9d2
  7. Mouse disappeared on a gateway tablet.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Installation and failure of drivers not responding to inbuilt devices on windows tablet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation and failure of drivers not responding to inbuilt devices on windows tablet: In installed windows 10 pro -32bit and failed to recognise inbuilt touchpad, microphone,camera, speakers,+/- buttons, among others https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-and-failure-of-drivers-not-responding/b8065c45-2ebc-402d-8912-8bd072d88058
  9. Installation and failure of drivers not responding to inbuilt devices on windows tablet

Installation and failure of drivers not responding to inbuilt devices on windows tablet: In installed windows 10 pro -32bit and failed to recognise inbuilt touchpad, microphone,camera, speakers,+/- buttons, among others https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-and-failure-of-drivers-not-responding/b8065c45-2ebc-402d-8912-8bd072d88058
  10. Installation and failure of drivers not responding to inbuilt devices on windows tablet

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging