Windows 10: How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

Discus and support How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Peepz My first post so hello to all. I have a windows 10 pc (x64) hence me joining the community ;-) I have a samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD ( C Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by icemen, Aug 18, 2018.

1. icemen Win User

How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

Hello Peepz
    My first post so hello to all.
    I have a windows 10 pc (x64) hence me joining the community ;-)
    I have a samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD ( C Drive ) & a Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB ( D drive )
    I'm in a predicament where my kids play a lot of games on the PC, Fortnite being one of the popular ones.
    I downloaded Epic Games for them to play Fortnite, It is in my Programs Files on my C drive.
    Now recently I checked & it using most of the data on my SSD, 50.0GB to be precise.
    What I want to ask is there a way I can move just this folder to my D drive so to free up space on my C drive?
    There is also a Epic Games folder in Programs Files (x86) but that is only 358MB so not a big issue, I'll move this if I can move the bigger folder first.
    If this is not possible then the only other way is to delete the folder & re-install it on the D drive but i'm scared they will lose all there saved data.

I have seen videos where they show how to move all your folders from Program Files onto another drive but I don't want to do that & also read this causes problems to the PC with software updates etc.
    Any advise is appreciated.
    thankz
    Ice

:)

icemen, Aug 18, 2018

2. Program files in different drives

Your Subject says "Program Files" but your text says "ProgramData". Which one is it?

If you move one of these folders to drive C: then you break every application that "thinks" the folder is on drive D:. Here are two options to do it safely:

• Do a complete re-installation of Windows.
    • Use a number of advanced console commands to move the data from D: to C:, then create a symbolic link on drive D: to fool your applications into believing that the folder still exists on drive D:. I would recommend this option only if you are comfortable
      with console commands and are able to boot the machine into Windows Repair Mode.

Frederik Long, Aug 18, 2018
  3. Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

According to 'Properties' in Windows Explorer, my C drive (one of four partitions on my primary drive) has 296GB 'Used Space' and 272GB 'Free Space', giving a total partition size of 568GB. However, if I add up the total space occupied by all the folders
    and files on C drive that are listed in Windows Explorer they come to roughly 44GB. (The largest folder is Windows (19.5GB), followed by Users (9GB) and Program Files (5.8GB). The rest of the folders are smaller than this.). Nearly all my applications, data,
    photos, videos, backups etc are on the other three partitions on the primary hard drive or on a secondary internal hard drive.

Can anyone suggest what accounts for the HUGE discrepancy between the reported 'Used Space' and the total of the actual folders/files? I first noticed this when backing up my C drive using Acronis TrueImage, which yields a back up file of 218GB - presumably
    the 296GB with some compression. A few months back I recall that the Acronis backup files were sized at around 60-70GB, so there's something funny going on! If there is some giant folder or file that is lurking on my C drive, what could it be and why isn't
    it showing up in Windows Explorer?

Peter Brigg, Aug 18, 2018
  4. How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

I THINK the programs are looking in the wrong place.

All my Programs are stored on Drive C:

Drive D: is my Recovery Image

Drive E: is where all my Data files were stored (Documents-Pictures-Videos, etc).

Drive F: has: Clipart-Document Themes 14-Media-MSOCache-Office 14 - Stationery - and Templates.

Hewlett Packard set my computer system up.

Before I did what you suggested above about MOVING files - I had only one listing for Drive EHow to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive :(DATADRIVE1-Docs-Pics-Video-Music). Now Drive E: shows up listed under THIS PC as E:\ (and it contains ALL my data - docs-Pics-Video-Music)). All these data
    folders also show up listed under THIS PC in the DOCUMENT folder; AND, all the datat folders also show up in DATADRIVE1-Docs-Pixs-Music-Video!!!! Whatever happened when I moved the files caused them to appear in several places!

I don't think the programs know where to find anything!!!! DUD!

I also have 4 external Western Digital hard drives (but I don't have all of them plugged in simultaneously). My problem with the external hard drives is that now Windows does recognize my 6 TB one - I know it is working because the little light is on and
    blinking....the drive just does not show up in File Explorer.

Do you have any suggestions?

PattiCampbell, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

1. How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive - Similar Threads - move program files

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. How to move safely programs into another drive C to D Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move safely programs into another drive C to D Drive: Me and my brother had 2 accounts of our own, I need to move all my brother's programs that i don't use and move into another driveWe had have our own separate drives and i want to move it safely otherwise anything happens to his data of the programs he had used, my brother is...
  4. How to move safely programs into another drive C to D Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move safely programs into another drive C to D Drive: Me and my brother had 2 accounts of our own, I need to move all my brother's programs that i don't use and move into another driveWe had have our own separate drives and i want to move it safely otherwise anything happens to his data of the programs he had used, my brother is...
  5. How to move windows from one drive to another or move Program files off C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move windows from one drive to another or move Program files off C drive: Hi, my pc has three drives a 2TB HDDD, a 112Gb 2.5" SSDC and a 500Gb m.2E drive. Stupidly I downloaded windows onto my C drive and all of my program files are stored on there too. it has got to the point where I have no storage left on that drive despite having nothing else...
  6. How to move windows from one drive to another or move Program files off C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move windows from one drive to another or move Program files off C drive: Hi, my pc has three drives a 2TB HDDD, a 112Gb 2.5" SSDC and a 500Gb m.2E drive. Stupidly I downloaded windows onto my C drive and all of my program files are stored on there too. it has got to the point where I have no storage left on that drive despite having nothing else...
  7. How to move windows from one drive to another or move Program files off C drive

8. How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?

How to move the "C:\users\username\AppData" folder to another drive from C:\ drive?: I have installed the windows 11 OS to a SSD drive having 100GB capacity. Its 70GB already filled up and the maximum space is taken by the Program Files, Program Files x86 and the Users folder.I already moved the C:\users\username\Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music, 3D...
  9. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...
  10. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move program files folder to another drive

2. move program files from c drive to d drive

3. move program files to another drive symlink

4. how to create program files folder on another drive,
  5. How do I move the program files folder to a separate drive,
  6. how to move fortnite to another drive symbolic link,
  7. moving program files from drive c to drive d