Windows 10: How to move program file on ssd to hdd

Discus and support How to move program file on ssd to hdd in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Can anyone please explain in detail if it is possible to make my program files running in OS on SSD to HDD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MustaqeemQuadry, Aug 1, 2018.

1. How to move program file on ssd to hdd

Can anyone please explain in detail if it is possible to make my program files running in OS on SSD to HDD.

:)

MustaqeemQuadry, Aug 1, 2018

2. SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Alright, I know this was asked a few times before, but each scenario I found was a bit different so I wanted to be safe and present my situation for review.

I currently have a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and just obtained a 240GB SSD. I want to install Windows 10 (which I've already obtained an ISO from Microsoft to work with) onto the SSD along with some major games so improve performance. However, I want to keep
    the majority of the files and programs on my HDD. I was given two options to take, both of which I have questions about before I proceed.

Option 1) Create a backup of my HDD onto an external hard drive, format the HDD, boot from my flash drive containing Windows and install it onto the SSD. Retrieve the files from the backup and move them back onto the HDD.

In this scenario I'd need to reinstall all the programs I have, because I assume they wouldn't work properly with a new OS installed. If this is correct, should I uninstall the programs before the backup to make things cleaner? During the re-installation,
    I'd be choosing the HDD as the location, but would it be able to launch the program located on another drive easily? This is my first time attempting to use multiple drives.

Option 2) Leave my HDD as it is, install Windows onto the SSD and ensure my computer boots to the SSD from the BIOS.

This bypasses the problem of needing to back up and retrieve files. However, would the programs continue to work? This goes back to my previous concern of launching programs located on another drive.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I haven't messed with this in like eight years so I'm a bit nervous, especially considering how much this gaming rig has cost me so far. Would kill me inside to lose anything or be out of commission fixing it for a week.

VetisAysel, Aug 1, 2018
  3. marxuuh Win User
    Moving files from SSD to HDD?

So I bought a computer which had 1tb HDD and 128 SSD. Windows is installed to the SSD and now there is only 10gb of available space, because all the apps were installed to the SSD. So my question is - is it possible to move installed applications (Program
    Files/x64 folder) to the HDD drive without losing any data?

marxuuh, Aug 1, 2018
  4. How to move program file on ssd to hdd

SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Both options you gave concern re-installing applications.

Option I suggest: if the space taken up (used) on your current hard disk drive is LESS than the the space you will have available on your new SSD (formatted size), utilize some third party partitioning tool to shrink the partition to minimal size (under
    the size of the SSD) and then use another tool to make an image of that partition or clone that partition onto the SSD and then take out the HDD and see if everything is working properly on your SSD. Once you have determined that, if you want the extra space
    the HDD will grant you, put it back in and format it /use it.

Shenan Stanley, Aug 1, 2018
Thema:

How to move program file on ssd to hdd

1. How to move program file on ssd to hdd - Similar Threads - move program file

2. How to move Program files from SSD to HDD in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to move Program files from SSD to HDD in Windows 11/10: [IMG]In this post, we are going to show you how to move Program files from an SSD drive to an HDD drive. SSDs (Solid State Drives) are faster, durable, smaller, and consume less drive. On the other hand, HDDs (Hard Disk Drives) are cheaper with a larger storage capacity. So,...
  3. Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it: I want to move my windows from an hdd to an ssd. The ssd already has stuff on it, but there is enough space for windows on it. However, everywhere ive looked it uses examples of the ssd being wiped. Do I have to delete all the stuff on it for it to work? And if I do, can I...
  4. Moving files from SSD to HDD

Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  5. How to move OS from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move OS from HDD to SSD?: Im going to be getting another ssd soon to put windows on and a few games. Is there a way to move windows from my hard drive to this ssd? submitted by /u/RBM2123456 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ic3iap/how_to_move_os_from_hdd_to_ssd/
  6. Move only certain program files to HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move only certain program files to HDD?: I've recently got a new PC with both an HDD and SSD. I installed Windows on the SSD, because that was one of the purposes I got an SSD. Then when I installed some programs, they installed their files to the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folder in the SSD. I only have 120...
  7. How to move window from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move window from HDD to SSD: How to move window from HDD to SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-window-from-hdd-to-ssd/e943886a-a104-4826-95b3-1ccda93b1107
  8. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...
  9. Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Files saved to SSD, need moved to HDD: Simple question, really. New build. Here's the issue, there's the boot drive, C, just an SSD. And the actually hard drive I was supposed to use for everything, E. Well without realizing it, everything was getting saved to C. Which is a whopping 120gb. And not to E which is 2...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. moving apps from ssd to hdd

2. how to move program files from ssd to hdd

3. move program files from ssd to hdd windows 10

4. move programs from ssd to hdd,
  5. how to move files from ssd to hdd,
  6. move program files from ssd to hdd,
  7. PROgram files folders on ssd and hdd,
  8. can i have program files on hdd but windows on ssd,
  9. program files folder in my ssd ?,
  10. accessing prgram files on hdd from ssd,
  11. How to move programs from ssd to hdd,