Windows 10: how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10

Discus and support how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have w 7 with wlm and need to move only the storage folders to wlm in w 10 39724 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Deanvet, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Deanvet Win User

how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10

I have w 7 with wlm and need to move only the storage folders to wlm in w 10

:)

Deanvet, Feb 3, 2016

2. Windows Live Mail with Windows 10

I had the same problem that you had when I switched to Windows 10. I had to keep changing to newer versions of WLM. Then I had to change to Imap/SMTP when Outlook servers stopped supporting the WLM system. It was a bad struggle to keep it working because
    of the constant disconnecting while WLM was accessing the servers. I also tried Thunderbird, but it had some of the same problems and didn't completely move all of my folders. I also tried eM Client, which was better than Thunderbird, but still not as good
    as WLM used to be. So I resorted to using Outlook.com, which is the web version of outlook, to view my email daily and then at the end of the day, use WLM to move the emails to my folders that I wanted to save. Then I started working to fix the terrible
    mess the local folders were in using Windows Explorer. When I looked at the Storage Folders, there many duplicate chains of folders that were loaded each time I updated WLM. Many had no emails in them and it was hard to tell which ones to delete, because
    WLM used it's own system to decide which of the duplicate folders to use. I also had some of my files disappear when I deleted a folder. There were many recovered files in folders that were duplicates with long chains of folders under the Storage Folders.
    I finally was able to get all of saved emails in a single chain of folders under Storage folders. I had to use a string named Storage Folders (1) and put all of my emails in that chain. I didn't delete the original chain named Storage Folders, but left them
    there empty, because when I tried to delete a folder under the original chain, I couldn't access it with WLM. It was very time consuming to recover them. I finally got them completely in order and just as I completed it my computer did a forced update to
    Windows 10, which was the most recent one. When I started my computer, my WLM was working very smoothly, very close to how it used to work. It still is using the Imap/STMP system, but I am very happy with how it works now. I don't know if I fixed the problems
    by simplifying my folders or if Microsoft fixed the problem with WLM with the new Windows 10 update. Either way, I am so happy to have WLM back. I will let everyone know if the problems return.

Ransome Welborn

Ransome(2), Feb 3, 2016
  3. grahambm Win User
    Import mail to windows 10

You can install WLM on Windows 10. Export all messages and contacts first then Import them into new WLM on Win 10.

But facing same problem and with no support now for WLM, I switched to Mozzilla Thunderbird for both Windows 7 and Windows 10. It is a free download and is able to import the mail and contacts you exported from WLM.

Thunderbird is quite similar to WLM, so once installed and configured, you will like it!

The Windows 10 Mail program is a joke unless you have very few emails and just one account.

ADDED: You don't mention how you email is now configured in WLM. If it is POP3, then you might consider switching it to IMAP before you transfer to Windows 10. With IMAP, all messages are stored on your ISP servers. When you create the new account in Thunderbird
    (or even Win10 Mail), the messages will automatically download. Downloaded POP messages stored on your computer won't sync like that, but they will if you move them into the new IMAP account on existing Win 7 WLM.

If you are already using IMAP, just set up your new mail program in Win10 and the mail will all magically be there!

In both cases, you need to export your contacts from WLM and then Thunderbird can import them. Various other ways if you use w10 mail.

grahambm, Feb 3, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

copy the contents of this folder and restore to the same place in Windows 10:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

topgundcp, Feb 3, 2016
  5. Deanvet Win User
    I have solved this by sending them to myself and loading on the w 10 computer.

Deanvet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10 - Similar Threads - move storage folders

2. WLM and Backup8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WLM and Backup8: Previously posted this topic but for some unexplainable cannot locate on community site. Received an email saying I had a reply and that has disappeared as well !?!So posting again.I use WLM and Backup8. Now I receive:-...
  3. WLM and Backup8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WLM and Backup8: Previously posted this topic but for some unexplainable cannot locate on community site. Received an email saying I had a reply and that has disappeared as well !?!So posting again.I use WLM and Backup8. Now I receive:-...
  4. WLM Hack

in Browsers and Email
    WLM Hack: Hi all, Since 2004 does not like WLM and you have to get into the registry to fix it, I thought i would try to write a registry hack that would make it easy to fix WLM. Here is what i typed: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows...
  5. WLM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WLM: PLEASE BRING BACK SUPPORT FOR WLM. MAIL APP STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN. WHAT CAN WE USE FOR DECENT EMAIL ACCOUNT???????????????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wlm/87473bca-aae8-4bdd-a903-be3fff3be3db
  6. WLM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WLM: Why do I get more WANTED emails on WLM than I do on Mail App ??? Thank you!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wlm/8e1f0f5d-8719-4fc9-9318-852798dfe5a3
  7. WLM program

in Browsers and Email
    WLM program: I have heard about Windows live mail Ending by the end of june I Have had had it for years and like it .But I set up the mail program that came on windows 10 and I have it ready it will even receive e-mail. The only problem is I can't find any place to add contacts so unless...
  8. WLM restore folders and mails

in Browsers and Email
    WLM restore folders and mails: Hi, I accidentally deleted some folders and mails within these in wlm, is there any chance of restoring these folders? Kind regards, Stephen 44879
  9. How to move Win 7 WLM files to new computer Win 10 emclient?

in Browsers and Email
    How to move Win 7 WLM files to new computer Win 10 emclient?: I surely can't be the only guy with this problem, but I have yet to get it solved. I have an old HP computer with Win 7 and Windows Live Mail on it. I have a new Lenovo with Win 10 on it. I'd like to use emclient on the new one. When I just copied all the WLM files and...
  10. Windows 10 Restored & WLM 2012 removed - How to restore WLM 2012

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Restored & WLM 2012 removed - How to restore WLM 2012: Unable to download and restore WLM 2012 after doing a Windows 10 restore on May 24, 2017. Message says Microsoft stop supporting Windows Live Essentials in January 2017. Any suggestions for reinstalling WLM 2012? Is Windows Live Mail 2012 available from anywhere besides...