Windows 10: How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

Discus and support How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; *Confused I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by wondermuse, Oct 19, 2015.

1. How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

*Confused I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily understood by a not-too-techie user.

If there are some easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to do this for a recently upgraded Windows 10 (not Windows Professional or Windows Enterprise) OS, I would be happy to get them.

:)

wondermuse, Oct 19, 2015

2. How to move favorites from an external hard drive to Windows 10.

Hi,

There is no Internet Explorer in my "all apps".

Thanks,

Joe

jdelaney77, Oct 19, 2015
  3. How to move favorites from an external hard drive to Windows 10.

Hi,

How do I move saved favorites from an external hard drive to Windows 10. The many solutions I see refer to importing the favorites from Internet Explorer. My Windows 10 uses Microsoft Edge. Please advise.

Thanks,

Joe

jdelaney77, Oct 19, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

If you mean to move it for running it from the external drive, rather than just for backup purposes, I think it would be a risky thing to move the whole Users folder, or even individual user profiles under that folder and I doubt this is supported by MS.
    Are you able to move elements of the profile, such as Documents, then just redirect the connection afterwards (or use libraries)?
    I'd be interested in seeing this article you mentioned.

Kanata, Oct 19, 2015
  5. Here is the web address for the how-to instructions I mentioned: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

There are articles on how to move libraries and the documents folder, but I would be much more interested in moving the Users profile folder, since it is currently using about 150 GB of memory.

There is also a YouTube video by the same user as the article:
    Sysprep - Relocate the Users folder in Windows 10 - YouTube

And yes, I did want to move it and run it from the external drive. My goal is to reduce memory being used; I only have about 70 GB free on my 500 GB hard drive.

wondermuse, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

1. How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive - Similar Threads - move user profile

2. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  3. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  4. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accidentally moved entire user folder to external hard drive.

Accidentally moved entire user folder to external hard drive.: Bought an external hard drive to put music and photos etc onto in order to create space on my computer and had the less than brilliant idea to just move my entire user file as a sort of backup, mid transfer I'd realised I'd done something very wrong. What do I do now?...
  6. Accidentally moved entire user folder to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally moved entire user folder to external hard drive.: Bought an external hard drive to put music and photos etc onto in order to create space on my computer and had the less than brilliant idea to just move my entire user file as a sort of backup, mid transfer I'd realised I'd done something very wrong. What do I do now?...
  7. Accidentally moved entire user folder to external hard drive.

8. How do you move User Profile folders to another drive?

How do you move User Profile folders to another drive?: I want to move User Profile data folders to another drive on my Windows 10 PC.Every post I've read says go to the Location tag on the User Profile but only the Guest account has this tag.Any help would be appreciated....
  9. How do you move User Profile folders to another drive?

How do you move User Profile folders to another drive?: I want to move User Profile data folders to another drive on my Windows 10 PC.Every post I've read says go to the Location tag on the User Profile but only the Guest account has this tag.Any help would be appreciated....
  10. Move user profile folders to another drive

Move user profile folders to another drive: I've seen some stuff on here about how to move folders IN a user profile to another drive. I need the entire profile to be on another drive. I bought an OEM Dell machine that came with a 256GB system drive and a 1TB data drive. Great. As far as it goes. Moving just...