Windows 10: How to move Win 7 WLM files to new computer Win 10 emclient?

Discus and support How to move Win 7 WLM files to new computer Win 10 emclient? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I surely can't be the only guy with this problem, but I have yet to get it solved. I have an old HP computer with Win 7 and Windows Live Mail on it.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ECKJR, Jul 8, 2017.

1. ECKJR Win User

How to move Win 7 WLM files to new computer Win 10 emclient?

I surely can't be the only guy with this problem, but I have yet to get it solved.
    I have an old HP computer with Win 7 and Windows Live Mail on it.
    I have a new Lenovo with Win 10 on it. I'd like to use emclient on the new one.
    When I just copied all the WLM files and pasted them to the Win 10 desktop, emclient said they couldn't import them because I didn't have WLM installed on the Win 10 computer. Unfortunately, WLM is no longer available from MS.
    How can I get the old WLM files onto my new computer so they can be accessed by emclient?

:)

ECKJR, Jul 8, 2017
  2. grahambm Win User

Import mail to windows 10

You can install WLM on Windows 10. Export all messages and contacts first then Import them into new WLM on Win 10.

But facing same problem and with no support now for WLM, I switched to Mozzilla Thunderbird for both Windows 7 and Windows 10. It is a free download and is able to import the mail and contacts you exported from WLM.

Thunderbird is quite similar to WLM, so once installed and configured, you will like it!

The Windows 10 Mail program is a joke unless you have very few emails and just one account.

ADDED: You don't mention how you email is now configured in WLM. If it is POP3, then you might consider switching it to IMAP before you transfer to Windows 10. With IMAP, all messages are stored on your ISP servers. When you create the new account in Thunderbird
    (or even Win10 Mail), the messages will automatically download. Downloaded POP messages stored on your computer won't sync like that, but they will if you move them into the new IMAP account on existing Win 7 WLM.

If you are already using IMAP, just set up your new mail program in Win10 and the mail will all magically be there!

In both cases, you need to export your contacts from WLM and then Thunderbird can import them. Various other ways if you use w10 mail.

grahambm, Jul 8, 2017
  3. Question on Migrating to Outlook

I've been using the Windows Live Mail (WLM) client under Win-Vista/64 for years, but anticipate updating to Win-10 before all support for Vista is over. At the same time (or before) I'd like to change my mail client from WLM to Outlook.

I have read many postings, with their attendant horror stories, regarding the proper procedure for moving mail and contact databases between email clients, and question whether it might be best to move from WLM to an unused installation of Outlook 2013 already
    on my Vista machine, and then move the files from the Vista machine to the new Win10 one. I'd certainly like advice on this.

Here is one question I can't find an answer for, however. If I do move files from WLM to Outlook, am I moving copies of the message files or the files themselves? I'd certainly like to keep WLM intact, just in case something goes wrong in the transfer,
    so that no mail messages are lost. I do back-up mail messages regularly, but am not comfortable in how those particular WLM .eml files are named and swapped-around.

Thanks!

electrojim, Jul 8, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Why not install emclient on the HP and then transfer the files/database to the Lenovo ?

mrgeek, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jul 8, 2017
  6. Bastet Win User
    Bastet, Jul 8, 2017
  7. ECKJR Win User
    mrgeek: I installed eMClient on my Win 7 computer and imported the WLM files. However, there are many missing folders, and some folders with things in them that aren't in the WLM folders. Also, the contacts/address book didn't import to eMClient. Any ideas on what I did wrong (the boxes of what to import were already checked when the import menu automatically opened up.)

ECKJR, Jul 9, 2017
  8. ECKJR Win User

mrgeek: also, some folders empty--none of the WLM folder files transferred.

ECKJR, Jul 9, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    ECKJR; sorry, I use Thunderbird and the Win10 Mail app so I'm not familiar with eMClient. Perhaps something in their Knowledge Base page here - http://support.emclient.com/index.ph...ledgebase/List can help you or you can register for support if you have a licensed version. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Jul 9, 2017
  10. ECKJR Win User
    mrgeek: I'm not against trying Thunderbird, but why would you use both TB and Win10mail?
    Should I just download TB and import as I tried to do with emClient?

ECKJR, Jul 9, 2017
  11. mrgeek Win User
    The import was fairly easy to do on Thunderbird (I used to use Live Mail, as well), as it recognizes various export formats from Outlook, Hotmail and Yahoo. Only issue was some details like phone numbers and birth dates did not fully sync). I use Win10 mail also, as it opens faster and gets messages immediately with alerts which I can quickly answer. Also, it's Calendar is recognized by Cortana for reminders. I also have it set so Win10 only gets last 30 days, so archived folders are on TB, again to use for instant mail retrieval.

I think Thunderbird is a good option to try, although there are plenty of topics regarding Live Mail alternatives in this thread. A warning on eMClient is that if you move from that to another email client, the files are not easily exportable, as they are stored in a format not used by other programs, should you decide to change in the future. Also, Thunderbird gets regular updates while I see that eMClient has been on a back burner for a while, although I may be missing something.

mrgeek, Jul 10, 2017
  12. ECKJR Win User
    mrgeek: I found an article (Importing and exporting your mail - MozillaZine Knowledge Base) that told how to make the transfer from WLM to TB on my Win 7 computer, then transfer the entire TB operation to my new Win 10 computer. Since the files I imported to eMClient are still on my WLM program, and in the correct order, can't I just uninstall eMClient? If so, what do I do with the screwed up files--just delete them?

ECKJR, Jul 10, 2017
  13. mrgeek Win User

"Since the files I imported to eMClient are still on my WLM program, and in the correct order, can't I just uninstall eMClient? If so, what do I do with the screwed up files--just delete them?"

Good to hear that you got your Live Mail exported to new computer ! If you're happy, I would just use TB on the Lenovo and uninstall eMClient since the files are not what you can work with. I would then either just delete the screwed up files or save them in a folder for 30 days in case you decide to reinstall and try eMClient again if TB does not meet your expectations.

If Live Mail is still functional on the HP, leave it and TB be for now until you are totally satisfied with the new mail client. You found the calendar add-on for Thunderbird (Tools tab/Add-ons) ? And check your address book. Like I said, I had to go back in and update birthdays and some phone numbers which the 'People' app fortunately had from syncing with the win10 Mail app (another reason I have both that I forgot).

Mark your topic Solved if you are happy with the problem resolution so others with your issue can find by Search. Cheers.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to move Win 7 WLM files to new computer Win 10 emclient? - Similar Threads - move WLM files

2. Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .: Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. Is there an ap I can download that will tell me which software will work on 11, and which will not? I'd rather know ahead of time....
  3. Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. .: Moving from Win 7 to a new machine with Win 11. Is there an ap I can download that will tell me which software will work on 11, and which will not? I'd rather know ahead of time....
  4. New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace: New computer with Win 10 - How to install Win 7 with disk to replace Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-with-win-10-how-to-install-win-7-with/d1fc2fc3-5532-4779-9b3d-58634aa19bf4
  5. connect win 10 computer to win 7 computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connect win 10 computer to win 7 computer: Hello, I am trying to transfer files from my windows 7 computer to my windows 10 computer. I do not know why this is so difficult. I need to transfer the files before I upgrade to windows 10 on the win 7 computer, I am exhausted with all of the settings, this should be...
  6. Need Help moving from win 7 to win 10 on a dual boot computer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help moving from win 7 to win 10 on a dual boot computer.: I am looking to move from windows 7 to windows 10 and would like to know if there is an easy way to move all my stuff from one OS to the other? I have both installed on my SSD but now that support is ending for win 7 I would like to move over to my win 10 install. submitted...
  7. Win 10 computer unable to access shared files on Win 7 computer

Win 10 computer unable to access shared files on Win 7 computer: I have two desktop computers on a wired home network -- one running Win 10 (update 1903) and the other running Win 7. I have been able to share files between the two computers until about a week ago when the Win 10 computer started getting getting the message "Windows cannot...
  8. how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10

how to move storage folders from w 7, wlm to wlm in win 10: I have w 7 with wlm and need to move only the storage folders to wlm in w 10 39724
  9. Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10

Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10: I have a program on my Windows 7 computer of which I have lost the installation CD . Is there any way to somehow move the program from my old computer to my new Windows 10 OS on my new computer? The program is Omron Health Management Software. I contacted Omron for a new CD....
  10. Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing

Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing: I have one Windows 7 computer on my network that shares a license to the other windows 10 computers. I have been over everything ensuring that share options on both ends are correct. Most of the time all the computers can connect and use the license after the Win 10 PC gets...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. support@emclient.com

2. migrate folders from WLM to Win10