Windows 10: How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update

Discus and support How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; There's a very long thread here about the creators update ... and a boatload of posts scattered elsewhere ... ... all pointing to problems with it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by margrave55, Jul 13, 2017.

1. How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update

There's a very long thread here about the creators update ... and a boatload of posts scattered elsewhere ...
    ... all pointing to problems with it.

So how can I ensure that I DO NOT get the creators update?

:)

margrave55, Jul 13, 2017

2. How to update Windows 10 Pro

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)

How To Update Windows 10 Pro, Jul 13, 2017
  3. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Jul 13, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update

There are also a 'boatload of posts' saying we've had no problems with it - I'm one.

What version do you have at present? You'll have to get Creators eventually when your current version reaches end of support. The original 10240 release has already done so, 1511 will be next to go.

Some problems are down to known hardware issues. Microsoft blocks PCs with such hardware from receiving Creators Update through windows update. If yours is such a PC it won't be offered to you until Microsoft has fixed these issues. If you manually install Creators Update you bypass these blocks, some of the reported problems are due to manual installs rather than waiting for windows update to say the PC is ready for the update.

5. So ... how do I prevent creators update?

margrave55, Jul 13, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    LOL - after EVERY UPGRADE you get posts about issues, and a SMALL minority of people get a jaundiced view of the world. CU is no worse than previous versions. Remember people rarely post to say things are ok.

People who advise various ways NOT to upgrade are usually pretty ill informed and do not tell you what security issues you can run into by not keeping up to date.

So best plan is to image backup current install, then upgrade knowing you can revert in event you get any significant issues.

cereberus, Jul 13, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Disabling all updates is a BAD idea, so disabling the windows update service should be ruled out.

You haven't said what version of windows you have. If it is Pro you can defer features updates in Settings > Update & security > Windows update > Advanced options.

If you have Home you can turn on 'metered connection' which will stop the update being downloaded, but cannot stop it being found by windows update.

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

If you see it offered by windows update it means your PC has passed the compatibility tests, so I'd say go for it. As cereberus says, making a system image before you try the update is a good idea, it gives you a fall-back position. After the update you also have 10 days in which you can go back to your previous version of windows, after which the windows.old folder will automatically be deleted.

If you really must prevent the Creators Update (and I see no reason why you should) then you can hide it, but not until it has appeared in the list of available updates in windows update (on a metered connection to prevent it automatically installing).

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

8. How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update

I've not seen it appear in the list of available updates. I don't think I've even seen any such list on Windows 10. Where would I find that?

Edit: I don't see any list ... but I did find this in the update-status settings:
    "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?"
    and
    "Yes, show me how"

I did not click the Yes.
    But that's not the same as saying No.
    There isn't a No option.

margrave55, Jul 13, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Go to Settings > Update & security then click 'Check for updates'. Any available updates appropriate for your PC will be listed. Usually there will be at least one, a definitions update for Defender. If you have turned on 'metered connection' they won't be downloaded, if you don't have a metered connection checking for updates will automatically start downloading them - the Creators Update included, should it appear in the list.

10. Bree New Member
    That's just advertising - click 'Yes, show me how' and you'll open a web page where you can join Windows Insiders, or run the Update Assistant to get it now, should you be impatient to get started (I'm guessing not, in your case) *Smile

11. I don't see where to set a metered connection.
    I'm on a wired connection, and I thought that "metered" would only apply to wireless? Not sure.
    Anyway, I don't see any such setting in the network-status panel.

Also, I clicked Check for Updates ... and it said that I'm up to date.
    I'm running version 1607, build 14393.1480 ... whatever that means.

margrave55, Jul 13, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    You won't find it in Settings (that is one of the things that was added in Creators Update). For older versions you have to edit the registry. It's covered in Option Two in the tutorial - Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10.

13. How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update

Thanks, I'll take a look at that later.

margrave55, Jul 13, 2017
  14. OK, done. I made Ethernet a "metered" connection, as suggested. Hopefully I'll never see Creators.

I have a feeling I made this change just in time!
    I recently began to see the message Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way.
    I hope I can reply to that with a simple "NOPE, NO WAY JOSE". *Smile

margrave55, Jul 22, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    You, me, each and every user is the master of his / her computers, entitled to do what he / she wants, independently decide what to do and what not without listening any advice.

That's your right, even when it is so obviously bad and stupid decision as yours. Waiting with great interest your future threads, cries for assistance with this and that security and other issues.

Thema:

How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update

1. How to NOT GET Windows 10 Creators Update - Similar Threads - Creators Update

2. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Help?: Today I tried to run halo infinite but it gave me a message along the lines of Incompatible OS version. Update fall creators update (1709) or higher. So I look up how to update windows to the latest version so I follow the steps but I already have the latest version then I go...
  3. when should we will expect an updated ISO file from Media Creator tools for w11...?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when should we will expect an updated ISO file from Media Creator tools for w11...?: I HAVE DOWNLOADED USING THE MEDIA CREATOR TOOL FOR WINDOWS 11The ISO file:Windows11_2022-01-11_19043.1466.isochose for my PC a hp Z440 // at 2022-01-12I redownload to day 30-01-2022 with the media creator tool the same iso Windows11_for_Z440_22000.469__30-01-2022.iso chose...
  4. when should we will expect an updated ISO file from Media Creator tools for w11...?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when should we will expect an updated ISO file from Media Creator tools for w11...?: I HAVE DOWNLOADED USING THE MEDIA CREATOR TOOL FOR WINDOWS 11The ISO file:Windows11_2022-01-11_19043.1466.isochose for my PC a hp Z440 // at 2022-01-12I redownload to day 30-01-2022 with the media creator tool the same iso Windows11_for_Z440_22000.469__30-01-2022.iso chose...
  5. windows creator update,esim capable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows creator update,esim capable?: Will my laptop gets the windows 10 creator update? the latest update was May 15,2021. The OS build was 10.0.19042.985.,ASUS Vivobook X442U acquired year 2019....
  6. i need 2017 fall creators update link

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need 2017 fall creators update link: i need the the 2017 fall creators update iso file link. i cannot find it in my browser i am only able to find 2020 20 h2 link. but i am already using that , i want to change the previous version of windows because of unsupported drivers kindly send the file iso...
  7. WiFi issues with Creators Update v2 network disconnection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi issues with Creators Update v2 network disconnection: PC: HP Probook 450 G2 NIC Dual Band Wireless-AC7260 Refer to PB.Anton's post here I was just about to post a success story about a solution to WiFi disconnection when my PC stuttered as I was writing this post. After an update in March2020 the PC WiFi was perpetually...
  8. Update 2004 - is that what they call Creators Update - a major one, or?

Update 2004 - is that what they call Creators Update - a major one, or?: Considering the amount of issues people have seems to be malware MS is shipping https://www.ghacks.net/2020/05/28/windows-10-version-2004-is-here-and-it-has-lots-of-issues/?unapproved=4465941&moderation-hash=728b68d5e9c84849f9f327fadc13fe4f#comment-4465941 This for people...
  9. I tried to update to 2004 using Media Creator but I couldn't.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I tried to update to 2004 using Media Creator but I couldn't.: I live in Indonesia (ID), Lenovo Yoga laptop, Win10 OEM Single Language. Stuck in Progress 0%. submitted by /u/GoldJello [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/guld4d/i_tried_to_update_to_2004_using_media_creator_but/
  10. Need help for Windows 10 creator update.

Need help for Windows 10 creator update.: I am trying to download a batch of new features loaded Windows 10 creator update from my current version, 1607. Is there anyone here that can tell me how much is the estimated file size for downloading it. Because I am currently in no Wifi state, and need to download via my...