Windows 10: How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep

Discus and support How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I recently enabled the lock screen slideshow in Windows 10. Every time my display turns off (after 2 minutes of inactivity), it goes back to the lock... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by chicago123, Mar 23, 2016.

1. How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep

I recently enabled the lock screen slideshow in Windows 10.
    Every time my display turns off (after 2 minutes of inactivity), it goes back to the lock screen and I have to login again.
    This issue is fixed by going to Settings-->Accounts-->Sign-in options and changing "require sign in" to never. However, this produces another issue since it means that it will not require a sign in when the computer awakes from sleep mode.

How do I not require a sign in when I awaken the computer from a turned-off display but require a sign in when I awaken the computer from sleep mode?

I tried going to Settings-->Lock Screen-->Advanced Slideshow Settings and turning off "when my PC is inactive, show lock screen instead of turning off the screen" but doing so had no effect.

Note: This issue only occurs when I set the lock screen to a slide show, not when it is set to Windows Spotlight or just a picture.

Thanks.

:)

chicago123, Mar 23, 2016

2. password and sleep

In windows 10, when i put the computer to sleep...it wakes up fine (no password required). However when windows goes into sleep by itself after inactivity, it always requires a password...even though NO password is required in control panel settings...I've
    tried different power settings, etc to no avail. Any suggestions?

PeterTripp, Mar 23, 2016
  3. need to restart after a few minutesof inactivity

my windows 10 PC requires me to reenter my password after a few minutes of inactivity; that is , it goes to sleep.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

john underwood, Mar 23, 2016
  4. badrobot Win User

How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep

run "netplwiz" and uncheck "users must sign-in....".

badrobot, Mar 27, 2016
Thema:

How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep

1. How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep - Similar Threads - require password inactivity

2. Windows 11: How to require password after sleep but not after I've "been away"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: How to require password after sleep but not after I've "been away": In Windows 11, I have the "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" setting set to "Never", and I'd like to keep it that way. But, I'd also like the computer to automatically lock when I put it to sleep. I cannot find a setting to control this....
  3. Windows 11: How to require password after sleep but not after I've "been away"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: How to require password after sleep but not after I've "been away": In Windows 11, I have the "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" setting set to "Never", and I'd like to keep it that way. But, I'd also like the computer to automatically lock when I put it to sleep. I cannot find a setting to control this....
  4. No password prompt after period of inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No password prompt after period of inactivity: My computer doesn't automatically lock.I have tried all possible settings and it does not lock after a period of inactivity unless I restart my computer.If I leave my laptop unused for a day and then turn it on, it automatically displays content exactly how i left it. This...
  5. No password prompt after period of inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No password prompt after period of inactivity: My computer doesn't automatically lock.I have tried all possible settings and it does not lock after a period of inactivity unless I restart my computer.If I leave my laptop unused for a day and then turn it on, it automatically displays content exactly how i left it. This...
  6. Require sign-in after sleep not working plugged in only

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Require sign-in after sleep not working plugged in only: So a few days ago I noticed that if I shut my Asus laptop and re-open it, it opens straight to the desktop again. No sign-in required, despite all my computer settings displaying that it should require sign-in. After doing some troubleshooting, I have figured out that it only...
  7. Password/Pin required only after MS Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password/Pin required only after MS Update: My computer runs fine and I did setup a password and pin but since I'm the only one using it, I changed the settings including netplwiz so i did not need to sign in on startup. All works fine but whenever Microsoft pushes an update, the next time I startup, I'm asked to...
  8. Windows requiring password after sleep - again - How did this happen?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows requiring password after sleep - again - How did this happen?: Using Brinks tutorial "How to Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10", I disabled the requirement to use a password so my desktop went directly to the desktop after sleep. I used Method 3: Command Prompt. Worked like a charm. Suddenly, and without any obvious...
  9. Require password after sleep.

Require password after sleep.: I need my Windows 10 computer to require my windows password after waking from sleep. All answers on the web point to either the 'Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options' menu or the 'Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options' menu. I have checked both and the...
  10. Password Required after sleep

Password Required after sleep: I have suddenly got a power management problem. On first boot up the laptop fires up Win Home and does not require a password input. However if I close the lid, the laptop goes to sleep. open the lid press space bar and it now asks for the login password. I have run...