Windows 10: How to open .img file created by repair-bde

Discus and support How to open .img file created by repair-bde in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, One of my bitlocker encrypted drives got corrupted. I used repair-bde to recover it and save it into an image file which turned out to be 58 gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by salilsurendran, Jul 17, 2017.

1. How to open .img file created by repair-bde

Hello,
    One of my bitlocker encrypted drives got corrupted. I used repair-bde to recover it and save it into an image file which turned out to be 58 gb in size. However, I am unable to open the archive using 7zip or other tools. Do I absolutely have to mount it? Since I don't have a spare HD lying around.

:)

salilsurendran, Jul 17, 2017

2. Bit Locker stopped in middle at 17% Now unable to use the disk.

Dear Experts

Thanks in advance for looking and anyone who is answering.

I am on Windows 10 and tried to encrypt a external hard disk. It was running for 1 whole day and at 17% I had to stop it. I read, when the computer is restarted, it will resume encryption. But unfortunately it never resumed. I am left with external hard-disk
    that is not accessible now. I get a popup to enter password but it says, the disk is not accessible.

I search for solutions before making this postings where it was mentioned to use the command line "repair-bde". I tried the command as below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>repair-bde -force g: f: -pw <- I enter the password on prompt

See the messages given:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Repair Tool version 10.0.16299

Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter the password to unlock this volume:

LOG ERROR: 0xc0000030

Failed to open 'g:'. (0x80070020)

ERROR: Cannot open 'g:'. Check that it is not currently in use. To continue

even when the volume is in use, add the -Force option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I even used the -Force option but no use as we can see above.

I searched for the help on command repair-bde - link is below:

repair-bde

The following limitations exist for the Repair-bde command-line tool:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repair-bde cannot repair a drive that failed during the encryption or decryption process.

• Repair-bde assumes that if the drive has any encryption, then the drive has been fully encrypted.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It clearly says as below which means the repair-bde cannot repair a drive that failed during the encryption process. Though in my case, I had paused it and shut-down the machine.

Now the question is how do I recover the data on the external hard disk. I have my historical educational videos and my photos as well.

Any clue in the direction to recover the disk would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Madhusudan

MadhusudanNeti, Jul 17, 2017
  3. moniko Win User
    Does Windows offer a BitLocker recovery tool?

Hi, Melliza!

I tried it following a tutorial in Internet. First I indexed the pen drive in Disk Manager creating a new volume with no format specified for it. Then I ran the repair-bde and it reported no errors and told me that all recovered well into an .img file. I
    tried to mount the .img file and got error. I then tried to extract the contents of the .img using compression software and got only one of my files recovered partially. I considered the detection of one of my files a good sight. Then I formatted the pen drive
    using quick format into default options and NTFS(because I don't remember the file system it was at the moment it got broken). And with the consecutive formats the data was becoming more and more obfuscated until in the end the compression software was not
    recognizing the .img file produced by the repair-bde as a file system. The recover-bde tool always, regardless the formatting of the pen drive was able to find the "bitlocker meta data" at the same place. After the formats, the third party recovery software
    still recognizes the pen drive as BitLocker protected and can recreate the three of my files correctly. I am beginning student in C#, I am not a professional, if I was, I would have my work saved in various places simultaneously :/ I use Windows all my life
    for its stability. I never expected to lose data due problems with Windows. Excepting this fail, Windows never gave me any problems. Sadly the third party recovery software seems too expensive for my possibilities.

moniko, Jul 17, 2017
Thema:

How to open .img file created by repair-bde

1. How to open .img file created by repair-bde - Similar Threads - open img file

2. Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde: Hello,I accidentally cloned a BitLocker encrypted 4 TB external drive F: to a wrong 14 TB internal drive D: using repair-bde.Disk Management shows D: like Explorer does: the cloned 4 TB drive. However, it also says disk 1 is a healthy 13038.98 GB Basic Data Partition.diskpart...
  3. How to find an .img file without finding image files?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to find an .img file without finding image files?: I created an .img file with Clonezilla, but I am not sure enough where it is. So I am doing a search using the Windows Files Manager, selecting the drive where I think it is, then using just ".img" to search. But most of the files found are image files (PNG, JPG, GIF, etc)....
  4. How to convert IMG file to ISO in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert IMG file to ISO in Windows 10: We all know how tricky it can be when we have to deal with a huge number of files in our day-to-day life. We come across a variety of files with different types of file extensions which means every file extension is different from another and serves a specific purpose. IMG is...
  5. How do or the best way open plist img file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do or the best way open plist img file?: I'm having trouble opening it, submitted by /u/N0toriousMSG [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikxl5v/how_do_or_the_best_way_open_plist_img_file/
  6. Manage-bde create key protector complete no files on USB

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Manage-bde create key protector complete no files on USB: Hi and Thank you, No files are saved to USB when generating protector key in powershell Admin I have a home built PC win 10 1909 that has a TPM header. The mobo is MSI b360 and I bought a new MSI infineon 1.2 / 2.0 v. 5.63.3353. I connected the TPM to the mobo and booted...
  7. img file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    img file: I try to downloadeops map. When i want to open the img file i have the message "diskafbildningsfejl" and the file dont open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/img-file/ced1b60e-24a5-4202-a251-a6f92fb12c2a"
  8. BDE file for Outlook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BDE file for Outlook: Cannot send email without the file BDE. My Borland BDE file is missing. Where can I download this file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bde-file-for-outlook/be6fc7d5-75b3-4de7-8523-75fce2539de9
  9. I cont not open my Photo img

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cont not open my Photo img: If I go to Open The photo I Get This message the application cont not be start please reinstalling the app to Fix this problem such like photo and camera also...
  10. How to open manually created backup files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to open manually created backup files?: So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. repair-bde img file corrupt

2. what kind of file does repair bde make

3. repair-bde to img

4. how to open repair-bde imge,
  5. repair-bde img,
  6. unable to read files after repair-bde command