Windows 10: How to open my XP mode machines

Discus and support How to open my XP mode machines in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, after upgrading to Win 10 I can't figure out how to open my XP - Mode (Virtual PC) Machines. I need them for work as a developer for certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by stfarm, Jul 30, 2015.

1. stfarm Win User

How to open my XP mode machines

Hi,

after upgrading to Win 10 I can't figure out how to open my XP - Mode (Virtual PC) Machines. I need them for work as a developer for certain legacy apps. Please tell me there is a way to get this back please.

Thank you for your help,

Steve

:)

stfarm, Jul 30, 2015
  2. JTDemag12 Win User

No virtual pc/XP-mode after upgrade

Andre;

Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen and read thru these recommendations after just searching randomly for information.

I did take the steps to activate/'turn on' the Hyper-V on my machine. Now I can see what i believe is the old VHD from my Win7-XP Mode. Interesting is i can find such items there as Solitaire and can actually open it and play, just can't find XP to launch.

If I do these steps and do get XP to work in a new virtual machine, what should I do with the old XP Mode VHD from Virtual PC?

Also what about reverting back to Win 7, will I still have my XP Mode/license and it work like before the upgrade?

JTDemag12, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Cybot Win User
    Hyper-V Virtual Machines Fail to Start and Initialize after Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1

great to hear it. I hope hyper v works out for you. Hyper V did not provide for my needs, which was XP mode or something like it. I ended up installing VMLite XP Mode, which has the exact same functions as windows 7 XP Mode and can even use the VHD provided
    by XP Mode. XP mode remains activated, and no adjustments to the virtual machine or the PC was necessary. I needed XP mode along with hardware pass through, but hyper-v does not support usb in the virtual machine like XP mode did. I need it in order to use
    a canon scanner that does not have any 64-bit drivers, (or drivers for any os past XP for that matter)

Cybot, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

XP Mode is no longer supported, but if you have a Pro version, you can install Client Hyper-V and install an XP Virtual Machine.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  5. stfarm Win User
    Thank you for your reply. I am interested to know that I will be able to open my existing virtual machines.

stfarm, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Virtual Machine (VM), Windows Virtual PC Browserstack : Microsoft Edge Dev is a source for a Microsoft XP VMs - one with IE6 and one with IE8 - although time limited, using a snapshotting method in your VM platform, they need never run out, according to:
    http://modernievirt.blob.core.window...rms_1_5_15.pdf.
    The Platforms available are HyperV, VirtualBox and VMWare.

You can mount your XP Mode VHD as a shared virtual hard disk in your host system to transfer data to the XP virtual machine from the above source over the virtual network connection with the host OS.

Fafhrd, Aug 16, 2015
  8. How to open my XP mode machines

Rich Pasco, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to open my XP mode machines - Similar Threads - open mode machines

2. Virtualized Windows XP Embedded machine will boot normally but BSOD in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualized Windows XP Embedded machine will boot normally but BSOD in safe mode: Hello,I created a virtual machine from a drive image taken from a Windows XP Embedded machine. Initially, I had a BSOD with STOP: 0x0000007B when trying to boot normally, but I remedied that by mounting the SYSTEM hive in a different VM and manually applying the registry and...
  3. How to take a image backup of xp machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to take a image backup of xp machine: How to take a image backup of xp machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-take-a-image-backup-of-xp-machine/8acbe042-155f-4598-8282-485b200b03aa
  4. How to take a image backup of xp machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to take a image backup of xp machine: How to take a image backup of xp machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-take-a-image-backup-of-xp-machine/8acbe042-155f-4598-8282-485b200b03aa
  5. Drivers for a XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers for a XP virtual machine: I created a Windows XP virtual machine using the Hyper-V Manager on my Windows 11 Pro, activated it and installed the basic software codecs and some other utilities.However, I don't have any sound, can't connect to the internet I already set up a legacy adapter and can't...
  6. Drivers for a XP virtual machine

Drivers for a XP virtual machine: I created a Windows XP virtual machine using the Hyper-V Manager on my Windows 11 Pro, activated it and installed the basic software codecs and some other utilities.However, I don't have any sound, can't connect to the internet I already set up a legacy adapter and can't...
  7. Windows XP mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows XP mode: My laptop is missing the wins file folder which contains the XP mode file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-xp-mode/d4ba8eee-c39a-4f1d-8b30-66a1d5e37093
  8. Windows XP mode

Windows XP mode: My laptop is missing the wins file folder which contains the XP mode file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-xp-mode/d4ba8eee-c39a-4f1d-8b30-66a1d5e37093
  9. windows xp mode

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    windows xp mode: Why was windows xp mode included in Windows 7, but not 10? It would seem like something I'd use a lot if it were in 10? is there any tech or Money reason why it wasn't brought to 10 also?...
  10. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...