Windows 10: How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?

Discus and support How to open new folder but keep the existing one open? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now in my third week with Windows 10 after 15 years using XP. After much googling and several posts in various newgroups and forums I still have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Terrypin Win User

How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?

Now in my third week with Windows 10 after 15 years using XP. After much googling and several posts in various newgroups and forums I still have no answer to the subject question.

In XP, if you wanted to open a new folder (e.g. move up to the next one in the tree) you simply held either the shift or control key while clicking the appropriate link, or up arrow. I can't believe such a frequently used task can no longer be perfomed?

(I know about the different feature, Open in new window.)

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jul 9, 2016

2. Edge wont cooperate

How come my bookmark icon is not lit up? Can't bookmark? Furthermore, how come I cannot save newly created folders, such as "Streaming Video" in Favorites? After creating new folder in favorites, and then opening the favorites bar to set up my daily sites,
    my favorites folders no longer exist? Is this a one only proposition?

BenQuijada, Jul 9, 2016
  3. windows mobile office

That is a modification that I don't think you can get scottvb. It opens to the All Folders then you have a choice of opening an existing document or create a new one.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 9, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Control and doubleclick still works for me! But clicking in the folder window, not tree.

AndreTen, Jul 9, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Windows 7 allows one to open any new folder in its own window; similar to setting browser to open a new web page in a separate browser window [and not as a tab in the same browser window]. I don't know how to do that in Windows 10.

RolandJS, Jul 9, 2016
  6. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, a partial solution.

I was plainly doing something wrong when trying to open a folder within the currently open one. Now, <Ctrl + d-click> works fine.

But my most-used operation is to go UP the tree by clicking the Up Arrow. In XP I could do that while holding Ctrl, to keep the current window open too. Surely that must somehow be possible in Win 10?

--

Terrypin, Jul 9, 2016
  7. Terrypin Win User
    How to open new folder but keep the existing one open? [​IMG]

--

Terrypin, Jul 9, 2016
  8. Rocky Win User

For me it is the SHIFT key then single click the ENTER button, the same since Windows 8.

Rocky, Jul 9, 2016
  9. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Jul 9, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    You can also 'wheel click' (or 'middle click') Explorer on the Taskbar to open a new instance of File Explorer.

Edwin, Jul 9, 2016
  11. Rocky Win User
    I have two on my keyboard, one is at the very, very far right hand bottom of the keyboard (marked enter) and one is by the qwerty section, next to the comma key. It is also marked enter.

Rocky, Jul 9, 2016
  12. Rocky Win User
    That worked too. Thanks.

Rocky, Jul 9, 2016
  13. How to open new folder but keep the existing one open?

Here:

How to open new folder but keep the existing one open? [​IMG]

John Mitchell, Jul 9, 2016
  14. AndreTen Win User
    *Roflmao2Can't click on it! OK, I can, but nothing happens!

AndreTen, Jul 9, 2016
  15. Rocky Win User
    You have to hold down the shift key simultaneously to clicking on the enter button.

Rocky, Jul 9, 2016
Thema:

1. How to open new folder but keep the existing one open? - Similar Threads - open folder keep

2. Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?: When i have a my file explorer open and i click on a new file to on desktop or the start menu I would like the file to open in a new tab on the open explorer instead of launching a new explorer window, Is there a setting for this?...
  3. Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?: When i have a my file explorer open and i click on a new file to on desktop or the start menu I would like the file to open in a new tab on the open explorer instead of launching a new explorer window, Is there a setting for this?...
  4. Files disappears one by one when opening folder !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files disappears one by one when opening folder !: Hi,Some times when I open a folder, files start to disappear one by one and then shows, I have took a video of it you can see it link below.Anyone suggests what could cause this problem ?https://streamable.com/fu6701...
  5. File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows: I'm currently on windows 11 latest public build, and every time I try and open folders in explorer, it opens in a new window. This is super frustrating and to get to the folder i need, I end up with 10 or more explorer windows open.I've tried the basics such as going into...
  6. File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer keeps opening folders in new windows: I'm currently on windows 11 latest public build, and every time I try and open folders in explorer, it opens in a new window. This is super frustrating and to get to the folder i need, I end up with 10 or more explorer windows open.I've tried the basics such as going into...
  7. one drive folder keeps opening by itself depite closing or leaving it open in the background

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one drive folder keeps opening by itself depite closing or leaving it open in the background: one drive folder keeps opening by itself https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-folder-keeps-opening-by-itself-depite/c778c5e7-5246-4192-b19c-23fd608aefa8"
  8. Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window...

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloads Folder Keeps Opening in New Window...: So "This PC" has a series of folders: Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc... I have my preferences to "Open each folder in the same window". For most folders, this works exactly as it should. However, whenever I open a sub folder in the Downloads folder, it opens...
  9. File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window

in Windows 10 Support
    File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window: Hi guys, First of all thanks to everybody to help newbies like me. I have problem when i'm working with the file manager in windows 10, when i'm inside the "Downloads" folder, if i try to open a subfolder, then open a new window. I'm not english navite speaker so i...
  10. Double click folder opens new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click folder opens new folder: I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and for some reason when I double click a folder, it opens a new folder. Also the the folders that show in the left side pane, if I click on eg music, it opens a new folder. I have 2 drives and when I open a folder from each and...