Windows 10: How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list

Discus and support How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In many case alphabetic list is much less use than a list by category, especially you get many items. I used to have categories of Internet, Media,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jack G. Wu, Aug 12, 2018.

1. How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list

In many case alphabetic list is much less use than a list by category, especially you get many items.

I used to have categories of Internet, Media, Developing .... Where I can quickly find my items based on categories. but with alphabetic list, items that belong to same group scattered everywhere in different place.

So how to organize start menu item into categories instead of simply useless alphabet list ?

:)

Jack G. Wu, Aug 12, 2018

2. Remove alphabet from App Listing on Windows 10 Start Menu?

New isn't necessary better. With The All Apps menu we have a new case.

The All Apps menu is too BIG, requires too much space for what it offers. Characters should be adjustable in size and the A, B, C ...Alphabet letters have no sense. I think everybody knows the alphabet except Microsoft developers.

Also a functional organization, as it was possible under XP and Windows 7 is most wanted, an absolute must. An organization where the application itself is started or, if there are several choices, a sub-menu with applications and maybe new sub-menus. For
    me the preceding icon is more disturbing than helping. A switch to enable or disable that visual effect should be available.

If Microsoft really wants its alphabetical order, a switch to classify the Apps list alphabetically should only be an option because operational applications are not suited to be forced being organised alphabetically.

How can you be effective when having to search in an application list of (up to)512 entries, worser if the list would possibly become 2048 long.

I urge to get back the old-fashion but effective All Programs approach.

DominiquePACCO, Aug 12, 2018
  3. groze Win User
    Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu

Whs

Actually they are alphabetical in a way. The list the certain programs/apps alphabetical, then it is listed by group alphabetical and under each group the apps/programs are listed alphabetical. What Microsoft needs to do is included apps in list as well as the group. There should be a registry hack for that.

groze, Aug 12, 2018
  4. How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list

create folders in start menu to organize

You have to navigate to the All Users Start menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create folders per your organization - they'll still be sorted alphabetically so plan the names
    Then move the specific application folder to your newly created folder(s).

Universal apps have a mind of their own, but you can organize Desktop apps in the menu list.

How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list [​IMG]

It's not perfect *cry

Slartybart, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list

1. How to organize windows 10 Start Menu in categories instead of alphabet list - Similar Threads - organize Start Menu

2. Disable Alphabetical order in Menu Start

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Disable Alphabetical order in Menu Start: Hi How i can disable in Menu Start Alphabetical order into last instaled programs? 171464
  3. How to remove item from alphabetical start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove item from alphabetical start menu: I have an item in the alphabetical start menu that no longer exists in applications. How do I remove it? Windows 10 1903 Thank you... 162419
  4. Alphabetical Listing of Apps on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alphabetical Listing of Apps on Start Menu: The alphabetical listing of all apps on the start menu has disappeared and now all i have is an all apps button which then displays icons on the main screen and not the start menu...
  5. alphabetical list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    alphabetical list: my alphabetical list on left side of screen has disappeared. don't know why. can't get it back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alphabetical-list/0387fca3-70ed-441d-8512-b9f7f6e5f7bb
  6. Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing

in Browsers and Email
    Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing: Hi, i am currently working with Elitedesk 705 G3 mini and running Windows 10 Pro. I work at a prison and will be using these machines for inmate access, So I need them to be locked down completely. I have gone through the GPO and made a set for non-Admins and pretty much...
  7. Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing

in Windows 10 Support
    Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing: Hi, i am currently working with Elitedesk 705 G3 mini and running Windows 10 Pro. I work at a prison and will be using these machines for inmate access, So I need them to be locked down completely. I have gone through the GPO and made a set for non-Admins and pretty much...
  8. Windows 10 start menu no longer lists apps in alphabetical list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 start menu no longer lists apps in alphabetical list: I just recently had an update which resulted in my start screen no longer display my apps in an alphabetical list. I do I recover that format ? Version 1809 of Windows 10 Build 17763.195 Thank you in advance, June...
  9. Alphabets in my Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Alphabets in my Start menu: Hi, Curious if anybody knows of a way to turn off the Alphabet letters in the start menu. I know if I click on them they bring up all of the letters and it lets' me get to the letter in question but I've got a hyperscroll mouse so it only takes one flick to get from one...
  10. Start menu not in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not in alphabetical order: Hello, I normally organize and rename the shortcuts in the start menu (in the folder ...\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) to shorter or more memorable names. However, my start menu is not in alphabetical order anymore. For example: I've renamed "Adobe Photoshop...