Windows 10: How to partition external hard disk?

Discus and support How to partition external hard disk? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hv window vista business edition OS. I purchased 500 GB seagate external hard drive as I wish to transfer my collection of songs and photos from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SABL3, Jul 7, 2017.

1. SABL3 Win User

How to partition external hard disk?

I hv window vista business edition OS. I purchased 500 GB seagate external hard drive as I wish to transfer my collection of songs and photos from my laptop to hard drive. How do I partition the hard drive in three parts. It comes with integrated software for backup and I have registered on net with seagate.I am not been able to backup my files. No funny answers plz.

:)

SABL3, Jul 7, 2017

2. Creating partitions for removable disks in Windows.

See this article for instructions how to partition an external drive:

Partition a Hard Drive for macOS Time Machine and Windows 10 Backups

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/partition-hard...

Andre Da Costa, Jul 7, 2017
  3. how do I get rid of three partitions on a external hard drive

how do I get rid of three partitions on a external hard drive

johnpurdie.U760, Jul 7, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    *Ditto Best Partitioning software on the Planet *Thumbs

What happened when you 1st plugged in the drive ?

You should have gotten at least 1 or 2 popup messages.

Please post a picture of Disk Management with the external drive plugged in and powered up.

Use the paperclip icon at the top of your next reply to add the pic *Smile

AddRAM, Jul 7, 2017
  6. Unkn0wn Win User
    Hey,

And welcome to Tenforums,

So If I understood correctly you are looking for a way to partition an external drive for backing up your PC. Here is how to partition a drive using Windows Default Partitioner, although there are many many many third party ones that might do the job better, but I usually stick with the original default windows one.

1st Make sure the Drive is indeed installed an connected to your PC
    2nd Open Run with "Windows Key+R" and type or copy in: "diskmgmt.msc" without the -"- markings and press ok
    3rd In order to partition your drive you must make sure you have backed up everything thats currently on it.
    4th Select your drive you would like to partition and right click it
    5th Shrink The volume by as much as you would like your second partition to be
    6th Once the partition has been shrunk make sure to select the unallocated space and right click New Simple Volume
    7th Set up your new volume by assigning a letter and a format FAT32 or NTFS (NTFS recommended) and click next
    8th Set up the additional settings and make sure to select format with these settings.
    9th Once finished you will have your new "drive" available for file storage or for backing up

Repeat this process for your other partition make sure to shrink the main volume instead of the already shrunk volume. That should be it. Report back afterwards

Unkn0wn, Jul 7, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Why can't you backup? To backup, all you have to do is drag and drop files to the new drive once it is plugged in and recognized on the computer.
    As stated, go to Disk Management, if you have saved all the files you want off of this new HDD to another drive, and are not planning on using their backup program, then you can Right click the partition in the lower pane of this window and Delete all the partitions on the drive, Now that the drive is all Unallocated Space, you can right click that and choose to make a new Simple Volume. Here, choose 1/3 of the size of the External HDD (ie) 160GB or whatever size you want a partition to be and choose Quick Format NTFS, now create two more 160GB Partitions or whatever size is left.
    You can also use a 3rd party app, as have been suggested, like Minitool.

spunk, Jul 10, 2017
  8. SABL3 Win User

Can i follow these steps ? anyone tried ? are they authentic

SABL3, Jul 13, 2017
  9. Unkn0wn Win User
    Hi,

It should be fine but you should or could use the minitool mentioned in the #2nd post which might have a better way of formatting, because usually windows formats the drives to a minimal state and with probably the mini-tool could do much better, but its your choice.

Unkn0wn, Jul 13, 2017
  10. SABL3 Win User
    OK downloading it, I hope mini tool will make it easy for me.

SABL3, Jul 13, 2017
  11. spunk Win User
    The process and the format are the same, it's no better or worse, whether you are using the Windows tools or thru a 3rd party app.

spunk, Jul 13, 2017
  12. Unkn0wn Win User
    Well I personally, only use Windows Diskmanagement but there is one HDD that I got from a friend which was formatted via a software and it seemed like it had just a tiny bit more space on it, but still it was not really noticable.

Unkn0wn, Jul 13, 2017
  13. SABL3 Win User

Yes the process maybe the same but sometimes the third party softwares makes it easy to perform the task, just saying.

SABL3, Jul 13, 2017
  14. Unkn0wn Win User
    Well it mostly depends on who you trust with doing the "work" windows which is using the drive 24/7 or a third party software that only formats once and you might even get rid of it afterwards, but yes its mostly just to make it "easier" I guess, (but imo. it is pretty easy to do even without an extra software).

Unkn0wn, Jul 13, 2017
  15. SABL3 Win User
    If the hard drive is biggest in size(TB) and we format it through external software , can we save some space as compared to partition it through windows disk management.

SABL3, Jul 13, 2017
Thema:

1. How to partition external hard disk? - Similar Threads - partition external hard

2. External hard disk partition ing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard disk partition ing: Hi,Is it possible to create partitions in the external hard-disk?If yes, when one should and should not do it?I will also appreciate steps to follow and any reliable links to more information on it.Thanks,Verma...
  3. External hard disk partition ing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard disk partition ing: Hi,Is it possible to create partitions in the external hard-disk?If yes, when one should and should not do it?I will also appreciate steps to follow and any reliable links to more information on it.Thanks,Verma...
  4. External hard disk partition ing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  6. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  7. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition: A day or go I got a pop up on my windows pc that asked me what I wanted to do with the storage on an external hard drive I was using. I clicked on an option that seemed to be the one where it would keep the hard drive as is but now it wont appear under devices and drives. It...
  9. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition: A day or go I got a pop up on my windows pc that asked me what I wanted to do with the storage on an external hard drive I was using. I clicked on an option that seemed to be the one where it would keep the hard drive as is but now it wont appear under devices and drives. It...
  10. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware