Windows 10: How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop

Discus and support How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I've been having this issue for a while now and finally thought to ask how to change it here.Right now I am working with 2 monitors. Often times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ZadeCK, Feb 28, 2024.

1. ZadeCK Win User

How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop

Hello, I've been having this issue for a while now and finally thought to ask how to change it here.Right now I am working with 2 monitors. Often times I want to paste a file onto the desktop of my secondary monitor, but whenever I do that, the file moves to my primary monitor's desktop and shifts my icons there.It doesn't matter what kind of file it is: an image, a folder, a zip file, etc. It will always show up on the primary monitor's desktop instead of the secondary one when I copy it. Is there a way to change it so that the file stays on the secondary monitor?

:)

ZadeCK, Feb 28, 2024
  2. Swapna S Win User

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Feb 28, 2024
  3. Setting Up A Older Secondary Monitor

ok decided to reopen in the hopes someone might have a solution for a new issues i noticed. when i do a restart the secondary monitor takes over, and not until windows is about to go to the desktop does the secondary monitor turn off and the primary display turn on. i would think there is some way to make the default monitor stay on during a reboot. any suggestion would be great. thanks

main monitor dvi to hdmi on video card
    secondary monitor dvi to dvi

xXWhackerXx, Feb 28, 2024
  4. How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop

Unable to interact with the content on the secondary monitor

I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro.

Every night I put the computer to sleep. Occasionally, and more frequently the past week, I wake the computer in the morning to find very strange behavior:

• Whatever monitor is my main display works perfectly
    • Secondary monitors turn on and show the last content they had (any open browsers, programs, etc)
    • I can move my mouse into the secondary screens and see it moving around just fine
    • When I click or do any kind of interaction on those screen, the visuals do not update (again, mouse around moving is fine)
      • Click a window, the window focus never shows; scroll or press a button on a website, doesn't show any changes; click the Windows button, menu doesn't open
    • However, I can still interact with the screens despite not being able to see what I'm changing
      • Drag a window off the screen and it magically appears on the main display; press the 1-Click buy on an Amazon item, receive it 2-5 business days later
    • Changing the main display changes the screen I can interact with
    • Mucking with the resolution of the secondary monitors does not fix the issue but it does update their visuals
    • Display driver details:
      • Date: 2018-11-12
      • Version: 25.21.14.1694
    • I am in the process of downloading NVidia 2019 drivers to see if that helps

The only fix I've found so far (with my limited experience debugging display issues) is restarting the computer. Help!

***Modified title from: Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows***

sean.hudson, Feb 28, 2024
Thema:

How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop

1. How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop - Similar Threads - paste file onto

2. How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to paste file onto secondary monitor's desktop: Hello, I've been having this issue for a while now and finally thought to ask how to change it here.Right now I am working with 2 monitors. Often times I want to paste a file onto the desktop of my secondary monitor, but whenever I do that, the file moves to my primary...
  3. How to drag file onto preferred monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to drag file onto preferred monitor: I use my latop and in addition two external monitors.Whenever I drag a file from a folder onto the desktop, the file will always be copied onto the monitor in front of me. This happens even though the folder and file and the drop location are on a different monitor. I would...
  4. How to drag file onto preferred monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to drag file onto preferred monitor: I use my latop and in addition two external monitors.Whenever I drag a file from a folder onto the desktop, the file will always be copied onto the monitor in front of me. This happens even though the folder and file and the drop location are on a different monitor. I would...
  5. How to drag file onto preferred monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Is there a way to show desktop items on secondary monitor?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to show desktop items on secondary monitor?: Hi, I have Windows 10 with 2 monitors in extension mode; when I download, copy/paste a file, or create a link to the desktop it goes directly on the primary monitor by default. It will be useful for me if there was a way to make those files moved directly on second monitor...
  7. Dual Monitor Saved Files on Desktop to Secondary Monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Monitor Saved Files on Desktop to Secondary Monitor: Hey guys, I always have programs like Photoshop and others open on the Main Monitor and its really annoying to minimize the programs to open stuff on the desktop. I want them to be saved automatically to the secondary monitor. I tried Fences but it's really a clunky program...
  8. Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??): I have a Gigabyte P27 laptop with a Dell U2913WM monitor attached via VGA connector and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I use extended desktop and the Dell is set as Main Display. The built in monitor is disabled. The configuration is, from left to right, Dell (3), TV (2),...
  9. Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??)

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop moved from primary to secondary monitor (by a ghost??): I have a Gigabyte P27 laptop with a Dell U2913WM monitor attached via VGA connector and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I use extended desktop and the Dell is set as Main Display. The built in monitor is disabled. The configuration is, from left to right, Dell (3), TV (2),...
  10. Secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Secondary monitor: Recently I bought a slightly larger monitor and planned to use the older one as a secondary monitor. I went in via 'Display Settings' but have managed to screw things up and I've ended up making this smaller monitor the primary one. How might I reverse this and thus make the...