Windows 10: How to pick the "right" Windows Recovery

Discus and support How to pick the "right" Windows Recovery in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everybody, I have Windows 10 v.1703 Creators, but when I start Windows Recovery (Restart+shift key) and open the command prompt, I get a There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeeves, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jeeves Win User

How to pick the "right" Windows Recovery

Hi everybody,

I have Windows 10 v.1703 Creators, but when I start Windows Recovery (Restart+shift key) and open the command prompt,
    I get a There are no administrators message.
    If I create a Recovery USB Drive (with recoverydrive.exe on the same system), boot from it and go to the RE command prompt,
    the Ver command shows "Version 6.3.9600" which is Windows 8.1. *Eek

Fact is, it was originally a Windows 8 system upgraded to 10, then to the Anniversary Update, then to Creators.

On disk there are 2 WinRE partitions:

A: 900 MB, second partition on disk just after the small "System" partition.
    In the "Recovery" directory, there is a winre.wim file dating back to 2014!

B: 788 MB, at the end, after the OS partition.
    Winre.wim file has date april 2017.

To be clear, diskpart lists as follow:
    partition 1: SYSTEM 100MB
    partition 2: WinRE A 900MB
    partition 3: MS Reserved 128MB
    partition 4: OS (Windows10 C: ),
    partition 5: data (I created this data partition, very recently, after shrinking C)
    partition 6: WinRE B 788MB

It's UEFI GPT.

reagentc /info says Windows Recovery is at ...\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE.

Seems to me that Windows created a new WinRE somewhere along upgrades, but picked the "wrong" partition, the original one.

Question: how do I set Windows 10 to use the other, possibly "correct", Windows Environment?

Thanks!

:)

Jeeves, Jul 14, 2017
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Jul 14, 2017
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Jul 14, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

in diskpart add drive letter T to partition 6:
    select disk 0
    select partition 6
    assign letter = T

In a separate administrator command prompt:
    Reagentc /setreimage /path T:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target C:\Windows

In diskpart remove the drive letter again:
    remove

Then check reagentc /info again.

Deploy Windows RE

You could then delete partition 2 and if you wanted use partition wizard to shuffle all the others over to the left a bit to reclaim the space. Alternatively you could copy the WinRE.wim from 6 to 2 and delete 6. And then re-register WinRE.wim.

If you leave a too small recovery partition Windows seems to create a new one on each upgrade but yours seems big enough so I'm not sure the reason you got 2... Perhaps there was insufficient free space.

5. Jeeves Win User
    Done. It did not change info at first.
    Had to reagentc /disable before reagentc /setreimage and enable again.
    Now it's set to the other WinRE. Thank you!
    I am going to try how it goes. How to pick the "right" Windows Recovery :)

Jeeves, Jul 14, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Good news.

It may be a good idea to delete one or the other WinRE partitions (partition order doesn't matter so either would do) or you may get more partitions created every upgrade... You could always wait and see of course.

7. Jeeves Win User
    For the record, in the process Windows deleted the old Winre.wim (Windows Eight's), ReAgent.xml and boot.sdi from the original 900 MB Recovery Environment--which I am not going to use any longer anyway, so it's not a problem.

Now everything works fine. I can boot to Recovery command prompt: the "no administrators" error is gone, and Ver shows current Windows 10 version.

As to removing the old unused WinRE partition, I was thinking along the lines of diskpart del override.
    Yet I am in doubt as to what to do with the reclaimed space.
    I just wouldn't want to "confuse" Windows boot.
    Maybe I will create a new NTFS *hidden* partition in place of the original hidden Recovery partition.

As a side note, the entire (GPT SSD) drive is "disk 1" in diskpart, while another drive (GPT HDD, for data only) is seen as disk 0. The other drive is on a lower SATA port in UEFI BIOS, but I can't change that in BIOS.

Jeeves, Jul 14, 2017
  8. Jeeves Win User

After I edited the partition table, Windows could not find WinRE. *Banghead
    Had to use Reagentc /setreimage again. *Smile
    It's all set now.

Jeeves, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to pick the "right" Windows Recovery - Similar Threads - pick right Recovery

2. COM port keeps picking up the wrong driver, How to permanently assign the right driver to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port keeps picking up the wrong driver, How to permanently assign the right driver to...: I have the industrial devices that connect to the software using USB cable. There is a problem that every time I connect the USB cable from the device to the laptop, its COM port keep picking the wrong driver SE, even though I just update the driver under Device Manager. I...
  3. COM port keeps picking up the wrong driver, How to permanently assign the right driver to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    COM port keeps picking up the wrong driver, How to permanently assign the right driver to...: I have the industrial devices that connect to the software using USB cable. There is a problem that every time I connect the USB cable from the device to the laptop, its COM port keep picking the wrong driver SE, even though I just update the driver under Device Manager. I...
  4. Windows 10 not picking up my Windows 10 Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not picking up my Windows 10 Recovery Drive: So I have recently had a virus on my computer and i had the smart idea to reset my whole PC , but once i reset my PC it took me to a menu and me not reading it accidentally wiped and reformatted my C: Drive so now i believe the Whole OS was wiped off the Harddrive, but i had...
  5. Windows 10 not picking up my Windows 10 Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 not picking up my Windows 10 Recovery Drive: So I have recently had a virus on my computer and i had the smart idea to reset my whole PC , but once i reset my PC it took me to a menu and me not reading it accidentally wiped and reformatted my C: Drive so now i believe the Whole OS was wiped off the Harddrive, but i had...
  6. Windows 10 not picking up my Windows 10 Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Require advice to pick right docking station for two monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Require advice to pick right docking station for two monitors: Hi I would like to buy docking station for Samsung laptop, Model No: NP550P7C. It has one HDMI, one VGA display port and two usb 3.0. I would like to display laptop screen and two more screens with all three two screen display different content. But when I connect HDMI and...
  8. Trouble with Windows picking the right account (or whatever) on bootup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trouble with Windows picking the right account (or whatever) on bootup: Lately, when I boot up my computer, it seems not to know which account (or whatever) to use. I have to select the proper account, and it gets really annoying. In the edited photo I attached, you can see that the system seems to be picking the lower of the second two...
  9. Restoring rights for the Recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring rights for the Recovery partition?: HI. I changed the ownership and rights of the recovery partition (Recovery/WindowsRE/*Wim) and after that a pc reset to defaults of my Asus T100chi tablet/laptop failed twice. Now my tablet wont even boot past the Asus splash screen at boot. My question is how I can change...
  10. Windows Device Recovery Tool Picks Up Another Update

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Device Recovery Tool Picks Up Another Update: A new version is now available for download Microsoft has just rolled out a new version of the Windows Device Recovery Tool, which helps Windows Phone owners re-flash their devices in case something goes wrong and they have to start from scratch. Little is known about...