Windows 10: How to Pin folder to start bar?

Discus and support How to Pin folder to start bar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I am trying to pin a folder from my internal hard drive I use for storage to the start menu. I figured out how to pin the main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tac87, Oct 5, 2015.

1. tac87 Win User

How to Pin folder to start bar?

Hey guys,

I am trying to pin a folder from my internal hard drive I use for storage to the start menu. I figured out how to pin the main folders(Documents, Pictures, Videos...) to the start bar but I can not figure out how to pin any other folders. Can anyone help?

Thanks

:)

tac87, Oct 5, 2015
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Oct 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu issues

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that you are unable to pin folders in Windows 10. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Please follow the below steps and check if that helps.

First method on how to pin a folder to the Start menu:

• Open the Start menu in Windows 10.
    • Find the folder you want to pin to the Start menu.
    • Right click on the folder.
    • Left click or tap on the “Pin to Start menu” feature.
    • You should now have that specific folder in the Start menu.
    Second method on how to pin a folder to the Start menu:

• Left click and hold on the folder you wish to pin to the Start menu.
    • Drag the folder while holding the left click pressed all the way to the “Start” button.
    • Wait for a “Pin to Start menu” message to pop up.
    • Release the left click in order to place that folder in the Start menu.
    • Now left click or tap on the “Start” button and you will see that the folder is present in the menu.
    Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Oct 5, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

I'm going to assume you are talking about the following:

How to Pin folder to start bar? [​IMG]

You can't pin other folders there 'per se', but there is a work-around......

which I will compile and show in the next post......

Edwin, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    You must be signed on as administrator and show hidden files and folders.

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places,
    the 9 items there are represented on the bottom of the Start Menu, above the Power button, with the exception of Settings.
    You can only change the 'Target' on 7 of the 9 items, (Homegroup and Network you can't)

Right click on an appropriate folder and choose Properties, in the 'Shortcut' Tab of Properties change the 'target' to what you wish, click Apply, grant permission then click OK.
    You can rename the folder but the original folder name in Settings will remain the default
    Then choose the folder(s) to pin in Modern Settings.

Edwin, Oct 5, 2015
  6. tac87 Win User
    Thanks Edwin,

I will try this after I get home from work.

tac87, Oct 5, 2015
  7. tac87 Win User
    Thanks Edwin,

That did the trick!

tac87, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Pin folder to start bar? - Similar Threads - Pin folder start

2. How to Pin Library Folders Docs, Videos, Pictures to Task Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Pin Library Folders Docs, Videos, Pictures to Task Bar: I have my Library folders on my desktop but in order to access them I always have to minimize whatever I have open on my screen. Isn't there a way to pin those shortcuts to my Task Bar?...
  3. How to Pin Library Folders Docs, Videos, Pictures to Task Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Pin Library Folders Docs, Videos, Pictures to Task Bar: I have my Library folders on my desktop but in order to access them I always have to minimize whatever I have open on my screen. Isn't there a way to pin those shortcuts to my Task Bar?...
  4. How to create folders in start pinned?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create folders in start pinned?: Hi 11 Start experts,I have a problemhow to create folders?It's imposibble.Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-folders-in-start-pinned/0f191bce-e9ca-41d0-8278-8ff3a5054f65
  5. How to create folders in start pinned?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create folders in start pinned?: Hi 11 Start experts,I have a problemhow to create folders?It's imposibble.Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-folders-in-start-pinned/0f191bce-e9ca-41d0-8278-8ff3a5054f65
  6. How to pin printer to task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to pin printer to task bar: how to pin printer to task bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-pin-printer-to-task-bar/5402dbba-5ec5-45d0-8a54-bca5819fcc53
  7. How to Pin Settings Menus/Sub-Menus to Start or Task Bar ?

How to Pin Settings Menus/Sub-Menus to Start or Task Bar ?: I'm beginning to get into content creation and streaming, so I've been diving into thing like A/V capture and configuration. Had not realized Windows has finally gotten the point of being able to route specific apps audio to various different hardware and virtual interfaces....
  8. pin documents folder to task bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pin documents folder to task bar: How do I pin my documents folder to the task bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-documents-folder-to-task-bar/09e888cf-6531-4d2f-82ec-fd75dead8104"
  9. How to pin website to start

How to pin website to start: How do I pin a site (such as a company) to the start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-pin-website-to-start/6bb08dd8-f7aa-45bb-803e-f812163cb2fd
  10. Pinning things to the file explorer on start bar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning things to the file explorer on start bar?: Not sure whether this is the appropriate forum, but, when you right click on the file explorer icon on the start bar you see, among other things, some frequently accessed folders and you see some pinned folders (downloads, pictures etc.) and I'm wondering whether there's any...