Windows 10: How to play Tunein Radio on Windows 10

Discus and support How to play Tunein Radio on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Does anyone know how Tunein Radio (Internet radio) can be installed on Windows 10. I want to listen to a local FM Radio Station. Any help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bondy99, Mar 3, 2017.

1. bondy99 Win User

How to play Tunein Radio on Windows 10

Hi,

Does anyone know how Tunein Radio (Internet radio) can be installed on Windows 10. I want to listen to a local FM Radio Station.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks

:)

bondy99, Mar 3, 2017

2. Radio Stops Playing - Windows 10

When I minimise my TuneIn Radio, it stops playing! Was all fine until the Windows 10 update...

Karen&Co, Mar 3, 2017
  3. fatmiche Win User
    Lumia 830 Losing WiFi

A friend of mine found a weird solution to solve this problem.

Install and run the TuneIn Radio application.

Select a radio station and make sure it is playing (Wifi must works at this time).

Return to the start screen by pressing the Windows button.

Turn off the Wifi of the phone and wait until the radio stops playing.

Turn on the Wifi and enjoy How to play Tunein Radio on Windows 10 :) (I usually let the TuneIn app running in the background but maybe you can close it.. I don't know)

It works for me and 2 of my friends since a couple of weeks!

We were losing Wifi 5-6 times a day before.

fatmiche, Mar 3, 2017
  4. Rocky Win User

Go to the store (icon on bottom of screen) and download it. Windows 10 will automatically install it.

Rocky, Mar 3, 2017
  5. bondy99 Win User
    @ Rocky,

Thanks for that info. Is it still a freebie or does one have to pay a subscription for it?

bondy99, Mar 3, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

No it's free

BTW you can also add any free radio / audio stream if you can find the OPML / URL of the stream

However the Windows app from the store is a bit useless as there's no search by GENRE so say you want classical music stations in Brussels the wretched app shows ALL the stations in Brussels - no splitting by type / genre etc. --

Now what it SHOULD do (and I think the mobile app does it on Android) is allow search by Genre

Here's a Linux app called CANTATA that explains what I want - it gets the same data from Tunein so the Windows app is 100% USELESS IMO.

How to play Tunein Radio on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 3, 2017
  7. bondy99 Win User
    @ jimbo45,

ok, thanks for letting me know. I'm in Australia. I assume Linux is a different operating system. I do understand what you mean about the Windows App. Unfortunately Tuneit Radio is the only app I can use on Windows 10 to play a particular broadcast from a local radio station.

I will only be using to listen in to a Fishing show that airs at about 8.30am on Saturday mornings.

bondy99, Mar 3, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

@ Bondy99

A better way of using Windows for tunein and playing Internet Radio -- and it does select by folder / genre etc is to download the still maintained Logitech Squeezebox server and then SQUEEZEPLAY as the client

100% FREE and compatible with Windows 10. (Both server and client and no wretched ads).

Load Squeezebox server (LMS) from here --maintained nightly still as although the hardware (squeezeboxes) aren't produced any more a lot of people use this as a server to deliver music to other devices rather than expensive Sonos type systems etc. This server also servers the local client SQUEEZEPLAY so no probs playing on your local computer -- and you can even send the same stuff to your phone (at least on android).

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.9

Now for the Player

Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

use squeezeplay-setup-7.8.0r328.exe

After install start the server and player and you should see something like this

Has a good search, built in PROPER tunein app (the original one) plays your own music (FLAC as well) by folder etc and you can have favourites as well -- excellent client for this type of app.

I know that for Just serving music you could use PLEXMEDIASERVER - but there's no way on PLEX as far as I can see to send Radio streams to remote devices - this method has no problems with both Music and Internet radio.

If you have an android phone download on to the phone the FREE apps SQUEEZEPLAYER and SQUEEZER (you need both) and then you can also connect to the server on your computer and get radio streams easily etc on the phone - if you like your fishing program - might be a way for you to listen when actually out fishing !!!!!

The Interface is identical to the Windows 10 one as are all the options --works brilliantly too.

The standalone tunein app on android is just as useless as the Windows one -- minimal selection so a real pain to get what you want. The squeezebox server / squeezeplay works a zillion times better and much more user friendly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 4, 2017
  9. dencal Win User
    Downloaded the app from store out of curiosity.
    Facebook informed me I had been picked out in association with Virginmedia as a potential millionaire if I joined their organisation.
    I declined.
    As to the Tunein Radio app itself, not very impressed.
    Comparing it to my portable Roberts Stream 93i radio......no contest but one is free while the other is an expensive piece of kit.

dencal, Mar 4, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    @dencal

Hi there

agreed the base windows app is HOPELESS but the one I think I've listed is really good and overcomes all the limitations of the base Windows app.

Try also the Android app as I've suggested above -- most phones these days have fairly decent DAC's in them so plugging the headphone into a decent amp or speaker(set) will give surprisingly good sound. The old squeezebox also was a brilliant piece of kit with optical output as well as analog and wifi as well as direct ethernet connections -although wifi is limited to 2.4 GHZ -- these are fairly old boxes !!

I still have TWO of those boxes -- about the size of an amazon TV box (i.e small) even though they must be around 10 years old or so -- seen NOTHING on the market today that even starts to compare with those - and as for bluetooth stuff -- FORGET IT !!!!!!.

I believe on the squeezebox forums (still going strong) people are finding all sorts of ways to route the squeezebox server output to a whole slew of new devices - including things like PI boxes etc -- no need for hideously expensive gear (sonos for example) and the software player (client) is good for locally playing content on your PC.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 4, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    Hi jimbo.
    As stated only tried out of curiosity, am completely satisfied with my present setup due to its portability, plus its myriad of options.

dencal, Mar 4, 2017
  12. bondy99 Win User
    @ jimbo45

Thanks for the additional info and help.

I have Windows 10 Pro. What is the difference between the Logitech executable file and the msi file?

Thanks

bondy99, Mar 4, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

I bookmark my favorite Tunein station on the web version.

Edwin, Mar 4, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    @Edwin
    Hi there

You've missed the whole point here

the problem is to FIND the station you want - setting favourites etc is easy ONCE YOU'VE GOT THE STATION but say using the example I've been using you want to get a list of the available Classical Music stations in Brussels then there's no quick way to list them -- you get a mega list of ALL the stations in Brussels -- that's 97 -- not perhaps as many as some places but still a lot to search through them all to get what you want.

Without a decent search by location and genre any of these sorts of apps are 100% USELESS unless you know in advance the name of the station you want - and also on most web browser type of apps there are often ads or "exhortations urging you to Go Pro" (i.e PAY).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 4, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@bondy99

MSI is "Windows installer" -- usually the best option to use -- simply click on it.

The.EXE file is just the executable - which may or may not have "extractor" in it if the file is compressed etc.

On that site either are good but I would tend to choose the installer (.MSI) file as if other stuff is needed then the MSI file will contain the commands to download and install any extra stuff --for example if NET 3 is needed or whatever.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 4, 2017
Thema:

1. How to play Tunein Radio on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - play Tunein Radio

2. TuneIn Radio App Issue

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    TuneIn Radio App Issue: I downloaded the TuneIn app a few months ago and it was working fine. Then it would load. I've tried the app repair feature, uninstalling and reinstalling but it keeps coming up with an error....
  3. Sad day for Internet Radio Listeners Tunein Regionally locked 10 Sept

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sad day for Internet Radio Listeners Tunein Regionally locked 10 Sept: Hi folks I thought the Internet was meant to be International -- anyway since yesterday the Tunein radio service - 100,000's free Internet radio stations is now regionally blocked from its UK servers -- So for those things like classical music or other specialized music which...
  4. TuneIn not playing on Cortana/Invoke

TuneIn not playing on Cortana/Invoke: I've recently started having a problem with my Cortana/Invoke speaker not being able to play certain streams. Is there a way to update the app for the speaker? This is a new TuneIn app for desktop I had to install to make it work on PC as I was having the same issue....
  5. Music files not playing on TV or radio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Music files not playing on TV or radio: For some years I have play music and display photographs stored on an aging DLNA compliant NAS via a Panasonic Smart TV using Viera Tools > Media Server. I have now copied my music and photographs to a new Windows 10 PC and have no problems displaying the photographs on...
  6. Finding and Playing Internet Radio Stations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finding and Playing Internet Radio Stations: This enquiry is from a non technical person with a neurological disability. What please in 2019 are the various options available to seek and play Internet Radio stations via a Windows 10 Desktop Personal Computer and where are the instructions to easily use such...
  7. HK Invoke speaker - Cortana - TuneIn radio

in Cortana
    HK Invoke speaker - Cortana - TuneIn radio: Cortana doesn't recognize many radio stations I know available in TuneIn. I believe it's a matter of recognition. How can I make Cortana access them ? . For example Klara , is a classical music station based in Belgium, listed on TuneIn. What should I say to make Cortana...
  8. TuneIn, your fave radio station?

TuneIn, your fave radio station?: So, what's your favorite radio station on this awesome radio app? Mine: <> 97.3 WMEE <> 92.7 The Skunk <> 100.9 FM The Eagle <> Orlando Sky Radio (dead station, but was one of my faves!) <> Nashville FM (Country!) <> 103 The Wolf So what's YOURS? *Biggrin 112680
  9. Tunein for Windows -- (Internet Radio) hopeless now

Tunein for Windows -- (Internet Radio) hopeless now: Hi there Is any decent program (Windows) for Tunein -- they've 100% ruined it on Windows -- now it's hopeless to get a station easily - they used to have it to arrange easily by city and Genre. Now you just get ALL the stations in a city - which for a large city could be...
  10. Tunein radio shortcut to station

Tunein radio shortcut to station: How can I make a shortcut to open Tunein radio to a particular station? 60452

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hi my tunine radio station will not come on