Windows 10: How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

Discus and support How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kupuna, May 20, 2016.

1. Kupuna Win User

How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk (4 partions) in order to make it GPT so the install could proceed.
    I have a 119GB SSD that I designated a GPT disk, but otherwise, it is empty. How would I direct a clean install of W10 to the SSD? If that works, how do I take the original boot drive out of operation while still retaining access to the many apps and programs on the original C: drive?

:)

Kupuna, May 20, 2016
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, May 20, 2016
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, May 20, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Word Man, May 20, 2016
  5. badrobot Win User
    If I understand you correctly, you wanted to clean install Windows 10 on SSD while keeping the old installation to use the programs but not the OS? That won't work. You have to reinstall everything to the SSD.

badrobot, May 20, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    In your situation you should just use MBR instead of GPT, it might work a lot better. I am running my new Asus Z-97A with UEFI and MBR and it is a great combination.

Rocky, May 20, 2016
  7. Kupuna Win User
    That's what I'm doing at the moment, but when I try to do a refresh install, it fails with the message: "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware." Another big issue is that somehow I am missing a MSR partition on my boot drive.
    Seems as though I'm going to have to clean the disk and reinstall.
    Thanks for your support.

Kupuna, May 20, 2016
  8. badrobot Win User

I am running both MBR and GPT at the same time on my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 mobo. GPT as my main 10586 OS and the Insider Preview on MBR. This setup work perfectly if you don't want 2 OSes to mess up with each other. But I agree that running on MBR is less complicated.

How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd) [​IMG]

badrobot, May 20, 2016
  9. Kupuna Win User
    Here's a capture of my disk situation. Drive 4 is the boot drive. It seems to have no MSR partition. The entire disk is not GPT, and it seems that I can't install an MSR on a non-GPT disk. My present plan is to move the contents of F: to J: then convert F: to GPT and reinstall a backup of C: on F:
    I have no idea if converting F: to GPT will automatically create a MSR partition; but I can try this without clearing Drive 4. I also have backups.
    I am avoiding Drive E: (the SSD) because it is too small to hold my current Drive 4 C: partition. If I did put Win10 (only) on Drive E: , would other programs or apps also have to be placed on that drive, or could E: deal with them when they were on another drive? I am really unsure in this area because I have just been slapping new programs onto my rather large C: partition.
    Thanks for your help.

How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd) [​IMG]

Kupuna, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd) - Similar Threads - point W10 install

2. New to W10, apps installing on secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New to W10, apps installing on secondary drive?: Hey all, before I get comments... yes Im new to windows 10, i dislike change Anyways... I was and have been using w8.1.. recently formatted my PC SSD and went the w10 route.. so I have a huge learning curve to deal with.. 1st.. when I was using w8.1, i had OS/Cdrive...
  3. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested: Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Here is my situation: I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that has 3 SSD slots. Currently, the slots have 2 1TB Samsung Evo...
  4. W10 ssd in new machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  5. New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD

New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD: I have been using samsung 860 SSD over recent years and thought i would try m2 nvme 970. The boot on nvme is taking maybe more than double the amount of time on nvme to load windows compared to 860. Does that sound right ? I would expect the same if not quicker than SSD....
  6. ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive: Hello, Recently an Indonesian computer technician upgraded my pc: - He changed my C-drive into a new SSD one for faster performance - He upgraded my memory to 16GB - DDR I think... - He installed Windows 10 - and temporarily kept W7 active as a tool to find W7 settings that...
  7. ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive

in Windows 10 Support
    ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive: Hello, Recently an Indonesian computer technician upgraded my pc: - He changed my C-drive into a new SSD one for faster performance - He upgraded my memory to 16GB - DDR I think... - He installed Windows 10 - and temporarily kept W7 active as a tool to find W7 settings that...
  8. Install W10 on new SSD Failing

Install W10 on new SSD Failing: I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VPCYB15KX), a bit old but working nonetheless currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and works fine, but is quite slow so I decided to upgrade to an SSD. Picked up a crucial MX200 250 GB SSD and was going to upgrade to Windows 10 (fresh install)...
  9. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  10. Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7)

Installing W10 on a SSD drive (duel boot with W7): Hi, just want to check can I duel boot W10 & W7 on a SSD drive. Thanks 4938

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install w10 on blank ssd