Windows 10: How to port everything from old to new pc and not compromise accounts?

Discus and support How to port everything from old to new pc and not compromise accounts? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My trusty pc is starting to show its age (7+ years old) and I think it's time to consider replacing it. It is an early Acer all-in-one and has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CargoMatatu, Aug 17, 2017.

1. How to port everything from old to new pc and not compromise accounts?

My trusty pc is starting to show its age (7+ years old) and I think it's time to consider replacing it.

It is an early Acer all-in-one and has evolved from WIN7->WIN8->WIN8.1->WIN10. It managed all evolutions reasonably well but, as I say, various behaviours indicate that it is now struggling, poor old fella!

My request for advice is due to me being EXTREMELY un-techy (and long in the tooth myself!) and I remember last time I bought a new pc it was a long and painful process to get it set up and running with all my needs from my previous one. The thought of experiencing this again is very daunting and off-putting.

Plus questions arise regarding permissions to use accounts on multiple devices. For example I have a Netflix account which allows it to be used on 4 devices. These are my pc, my MS Surface Pro (1), my Samsung Smart TV and my LG smartphone. Likewise my MS Office 365 account, to name just two of my many accounts.

How do I introduce a new device into this family?

Can a carbon copy of my existing data be ported from my old pc to a new one, and will this also duplicate the problems I have in the old one?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

CargoMatatu, Aug 17, 2017

2. I've got 2 monitors, and when i plug the second one in, both of them go black.

try the vga to dvi on new pc and see.

and if you unplug from vga port, you probably would need a restart

you mention old one, how are you connecting on the new one. is this a pc or laptop.

seahawks65, Aug 17, 2017
  3. GhostmanT Win User
    Transferring everything from an old HDD to a new HDD

So I just bought a new 3 TB HDD and wanted to figure out what the best way to trasfer all the files (including my Windows 10 OS) onto the new drive. I might use the old one as a back up for important files but I want my new and bigger one to be my main
    drive/ boot drive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

GhostmanT, Aug 17, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

How to port everything from old to new pc and not compromise accounts?

On your Netflix and MS Office account you should be able to remove unwanted devices. and register your new computer. Once you have all your programs installed you should be able to move all your data from your old computer to your new computer. I use external HDDs or flash drives when I want to transfer data. I use drive on the old device to copy my data then I plug the drive into my new device and copy the data to the correct folders for the programs they belong to.

Winuser, Aug 17, 2017
  5. I notice that there are one or two applications available for doing this, PCmover PRO seeming to get the best reviews (including recommendation from MS).

Has anyone experience/tips/recommendations regarding these?

I'm considering PCmover for this.

CargoMatatu, Aug 21, 2017
  6. Stevekir Win User
    Me, I would put the task in the hands of a competent computer shop. They would charge and you could get an estimate. This would save a lot of, inevitable, frustration.

Stevekir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to port everything from old to new pc and not compromise accounts?

1. How to port everything from old to new pc and not compromise accounts? - Similar Threads - port everything old

2. how to transfer everything from pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to transfer everything from pc to new pc: how to transfer everything from pc to new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-everything-from-pc-to-new-pc/9d3f9425-b388-4280-9304-8dc884284a38
  3. how to transfer everything from pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to transfer everything from pc to new pc: how to transfer everything from pc to new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-everything-from-pc-to-new-pc/9d3f9425-b388-4280-9304-8dc884284a38
  4. how to transfer everything from pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accounts Compromised, Network Compromised, Computer Compromised.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accounts Compromised, Network Compromised, Computer Compromised.: Does anyone have any advice to help me find devices that are being used to see my online activity? I have tried the basics, but I can't get these individuals to stop using what I'm doing as an opportunity to harm me....
  6. Accounts Compromised, Network Compromised, Computer Compromised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accounts Compromised, Network Compromised, Computer Compromised.: Does anyone have any advice to help me find devices that are being used to see my online activity? I have tried the basics, but I can't get these individuals to stop using what I'm doing as an opportunity to harm me....
  7. Accounts Compromised, Network Compromised, Computer Compromised.

8. compromised account

compromised account: a new phone number was added to my account that wasnt mine. now everytime i try to change any info ie pass words i am asked to enter a code from that number. i requested a security info update and was told it takes 30 days. this date keeps changing and the last request was...
  9. Account compromised.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Account compromised.: So today I got onto my PC to find that my account gamertag changed and some random xbox I do not own was playing and installing games with my account. I changed my password and my email but they persisted to play on my account and download my games. How do I get this person...
  10. Account Compromised

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Compromised: So late June, a lot of my accounts were compromised. Apple, Steam, and Microsoft. I managed to cancel the preorders here before I got charged but I'm extremely aggravated that Microsoft doesn't have an "Email Us" option for contacting support. I want them to ban all activity...