Windows 10: How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows?

Discus and support How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm reinstalling windows 10 soon, following this tutorial Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials since it seems to be the best and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by theridon, Feb 9, 2018.

1. theridon Win User

How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows?

I'm reinstalling windows 10 soon, following this tutorial Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials since it seems to be the best and most complete (can't find any good videos which would just be easier visually).

On step 13, it says "A) Delete all partitions/volumes on the Drive # (ex: Drive 0) that you want to install Windows 10 with UEFI on until that Drive # shows as unallocated space. (see screenshot below)"

So I just select each drive that shows up and I delete it? Or will there be "Drive 0 unallocated space" that I do not delete, and just choose that and select next?

Thanks for the help, I have never reinstalled windows and just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

:)

theridon, Feb 9, 2018

2. how to make office 2007 backup to prepare for refresh of win 10

restore files of the year 2007 that are written on this CD WHICH IS PLACED IN MY COMPUTER OR PC

VijayBhadriraju, Feb 9, 2018
  3. JimWynne Win User
    how to make office 2007 backup to prepare for refresh of win 10

The bit about the upgrade is irrelevant. Once Office is gone, it must be reinstalled from standard installation media--you can't back it up and restore it. Office 365 is available for a low monthly subscription price, less than $10. You can also use the
    free Libre Office suite that will open, read and create MS Office files.

JimWynne, Feb 9, 2018
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Na you really need to run Dispart and Clean the Disk/SSD that leaves them RAW just as they come from the manufacturer. And then using the USB thumb drive I created with the MCT I boot it UEFI and install windows, The install will create all the partition it needs to boot and run.

Clintlgm, Feb 9, 2018
  5. theridon Win User
    Can you elaborate? This is my first time hearing about this. Doesn't the windows installer format it before installing the OS?

theridon, Feb 9, 2018
  6. If there is already data on the drive you want to install onto then you have to individually delete the partitions.

The screen will initially look like this. Once you delete all the partitions on the drive then there will just be one "unallocated space" entry. If you have multiple drives then make sure you know which partitions you're deleting.

How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows? [​IMG]

If you want to use diskpart, press SHIFT-F10 during Windows setup at or before the partition screen. Again, if you have multiple drives then make sure you know which one you're selecting.

How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows? [​IMG]

Then close the window and press refresh on the partition window, if needed. Then it will look the same as the tutorial with one "unallocated space" entry.

PolarNettles, Feb 9, 2018
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Before you do anything, unplug any and all other drives before you attempt to install windows. Especially if you use Diskpart.

Then, as already explained, delete any partitions that you do not want on the install drive.

If you have data on a partition you want to save, you certainly would not want to delete that partition *Smile All your data should be backed up anyway.

AddRAM, Feb 9, 2018
  8. How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows?

Hi,
    Indeed remove all data drives you have
    Use the custom install method has worked countless times no need to use disk part
    The custom install will show all partitions just select and delete each one till it only shows one left and your done.

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Except there shouldn't be any partitions left - nothing but unallocated space - which is not a partition. Unless you are intentionally leaving a data partition on the drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prepare partitions for reinstalling windows? - Similar Threads - prepare partitions reinstalling

2. Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”: I was doing a Local Reinstall and it is just stuck at preparing at 62%. It hasn’t even gone to the actual reset process, it is just on the screen right after you click reset on the desktop and it just says “preparing to reset”...
  3. Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”: I was doing a Local Reinstall and it is just stuck at preparing at 62%. It hasn’t even gone to the actual reset process, it is just on the screen right after you click reset on the desktop and it just says “preparing to reset”...
  4. Windows 10 Reinstall Stuck at “preparing”

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  6. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  7. Partition error on reinstalling windows

Partition error on reinstalling windows: Hello,I had an issue with laptop hardware last year and the computer guy fixed it. However, he also reinstalled windows on top of my original installation through some cracking method. Now this year, the laptop kept crashing and many features such as Zoom camera do not...
  8. Reinstalling windows 10 to a partition

Reinstalling windows 10 to a partition: I currently have a 500GB SSD with windows 10 on and programs, games and such but I also have a 4TB HDD for larger games and other stuff. What I want to do is uninstall everything on my SSD and make a partition just to put windows on and have the other part for games and...
  9. Reinstall Windows – Deleting Partitions

Reinstall Windows – Deleting Partitions: Reinstall Windows – Deleting Partitions I reinstalled an online Windows 10 and first deleted all old partitions in the process. As I have been told, when I first purchased my PC, there is a partition on it that includes the factory version of Windows to use if required....
  10. How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?

How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?: How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition of a GPT partitioned disk ? display shown by a partition software; [img] After RE partition 128 MB unallocated partition is already prepared, as one can see its status is none How to set and specify it as...