Windows 10: How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store

Discus and support How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is there anyway to prevent a child's account from making purchases from the Windows Store? I asked the MS Community for help but the only response I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by roto169, Aug 23, 2015.

1. roto169 Win User

How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store

Is there anyway to prevent a child's account from making purchases from the Windows Store? I asked the MS Community for help but the only response I received was to "remove the account from the family". If I do this, then they are no longer able to log into the computer. Is there a reasonable alternative to using the family settings offered by Microsoft?

:)

roto169, Aug 23, 2015

2. Blocking App Purchases

Joythar,

Thank you for the quick response HOWEVER you did not directly answer my question.

Can you block a child's account from making purchases on the Windows Store?

If I remove the account then they are no longer able to log into the computer at home. This makes no sense to me.

I cannot understand how Microsoft does not have a simple feature that prevents children from making purchases without some sort of parental approval.

Can anyone in the Microsoft Community provide a direct answer to this question?

Michael Rotunda, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Blocking App Purchases

Is there anyway to block a child from making in app purchases? I cannot believe Microsoft makes you have to have an email account for a child and then link that account to your credit card. I have 2 young daughters and I do not want them to be able to
    purchase anything online. I have searched the community and several web sites and I am not the only one who seems to have this issue yet I have not seen a valid response from anyone from Microsoft on how to prevent this.

Michael Rotunda, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

5. Macco26 Win User
    How about non linking any CC or other payment to their account? If you need to pay for some paid apps for them, open the Store from their account, temporarily log-off their account inside the Store, access yours (which has the payment set), buy whatever you want, log off yours and log in back with theirs for max assurance.
    The app/game will remain working. No IAP will be possibile as their normal account has no payment method set.

Macco26, Aug 23, 2015
  6. roto169 Win User
    Gary,

Thank you for the quick response. I looked thru the post you suggested. It contained some great information but it looks as though there is no way to prevent purchases without uninstalling the Windows Store app. I didn't want to have to go that route but it appears to be the only viable option.
    Thank you again for the suggestion.

roto169, Aug 23, 2015
  7. roto169 Win User
    Macco26,
    I tried this and Microsoft just deactivated their accounts and removed them. They could no longer log into the home computer which was very frustrating.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

roto169, Aug 23, 2015
  8. Macco26 Win User

There is nothing against anything doing like I said. You must have your main account beside your kids' one in the same device. So each device at least 2 accounts: kids + administrator (with payment method). This way there is not a single issue with that. If you look into the Internet you'll find this method even explained by Microsoft in their section Family Safety (can't catch now the link).

So If I were you I wouldn't be worried to retry that again, provided your "paying" account is also present on the device (and you confirmed Microsoft it's your own device when they ask you to proof it with the SMS code and so. Just check on accounts.live.com of your account if your main account has that device properly recorded before trying to pay/install your app logging in with your credential in there.

Macco26, Aug 23, 2015
  9. roto169 Win User
    Macco26,

I had setup Windows 10 on the computer and set up the Admin/Adult account (me) and both children's accounts. My account is a valid account and linked to a CC. I did a test set up with one account and did the verify to a CC, when I went in to test it, there child account was able to make any purchases they would want to. The only settings I could find (and only reference in the Microsoft Family section is to limit the age group). So I set up another account without doing the credit card verify and Microsoft closed the accounts after 1 week.
    I may not be understanding what you are saying to do in order to get around this. I did a search on the internet yesterday and I found others having this same issue but no responses on how to get around it without revering back to 7 or 8.

roto169, Aug 23, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
  11. Macco26 Win User
    What I'm saying is that when I setup my kids accout I did NOT offer any CC verification. And their account is perfect to buy free-apps.

When I need to buy paid-apps for their account:
    (it's valid for 8.x btw, but this following detail is applicable to Win10)
    I open the Store from their account
    click on the icon of their profile in the Store app
    click again to show the log off text
    click it
    sign in with my account credential (that is another windows user of that said machine)
    continue to find and purchase the app
    log off as I did with their account (clicking on the profile icon in the Store)

That's it.

Macco26, Aug 23, 2015
  12. roto169 Win User
    Marco26,

Thank you for your response and advise. In Windows 10, if you do not do a CC verification then Microsoft deletes the account (this is what happened to start this whole shebang). I set up accounts in Windows 8 like you did and it worked great until I did the upgrade to 10. The funny thing about this whole ordeal is a response I received from Microsoft which said "children should ask permission before they purchase anything and that will solve the issue". I don't know if I was more mad or amused by that statement......

roto169, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store - Similar Threads - prevent child accounts

2. Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!: I have a family 360 subscription and a Gamepass ultimate for the family Xbox. The kids want to play Minecraft Java edition, thats included in the gamepass subscription. However, to play the java edition I have to log my account in on the microsoft store. That would be semi...
  3. Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!: I have a family 360 subscription and a Gamepass ultimate for the family Xbox. The kids want to play Minecraft Java edition, thats included in the gamepass subscription. However, to play the java edition I have to log my account in on the microsoft store. That would be semi...
  4. Purchased game not available in store for child account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Purchased game not available in store for child account: I purchased a game while logged in under my child account. In the library the game is not listed. When searching for the game, it says purchased. But if I go to the game, there is no option to install or open....
  5. Purchased game not available in store for child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased game not available in store for child account: I purchased a game while logged in under my child account. In the library the game is not listed. When searching for the game, it says purchased. But if I go to the game, there is no option to install or open....
  6. Purchased game not available in store for child account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. how to prevent child account from downloading google chrome

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how to prevent child account from downloading google chrome: Hi, My children have been using google classroom for their distance learning school, but lately they've been trying to circumvent the Microsoft Family by downloading Google Chrome themselves thru this https://www.google.com/chrome/ site. Is there a way to prevent it? I...
  8. How can child accounts be prevented from installing apps from the Microsoft Store without...

How can child accounts be prevented from installing apps from the Microsoft Store without...: I'm asking how to stop apps being installed by child accounts. Is there a way to just stop child accounts being able to install anything without authorisation from a parent account first? These are child accounts. They do not have admin status. In any case, child...
  9. Child account making purchases on my store account

Child account making purchases on my store account: I have a win10 machine with my account as admin and my daughter's account allowed to log in as a standard user. Because I have GamePass Ultimate and I have bought a couple of games, I've set the microsoft store account on her login to use my login. That all works fine and...
  10. Preventing Installing Microsoft Store Apps for Child Accounts

Preventing Installing Microsoft Store Apps for Child Accounts: I've researched this pretty thoroughly and there are several posts already about it. The other posts I think are pretty clear about what they're trying to achieve but it seems that the responses don't understand the current Windows ecosystem and tools available ex:...