Windows 10: How to prevent creation of list of applications launched

Discus and support How to prevent creation of list of applications launched in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I prevent the Registry from creating a list of applications launched from external media? I have App launch tracker turned off, but registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nosirrah762, Jun 21, 2017.

1. How to prevent creation of list of applications launched

How can I prevent the Registry from creating a list of applications launched from external media? I have App launch tracker turned off, but registry nevertheless contains an entry for example.exe previously launched from, and only contained on, a thumb drive? TIA

:)

Nosirrah762, Jun 21, 2017

2. How to prevent creation / modification of shortcuts for users (Active Directory domain) ?

Hello everyone !

So here is my first question to the community: How do we prevent the creation and / or modification of shortcuts by users of an Active Directory domain?

Why ?

Well in order to prevent, among others, ransomware attacks.

You know, these small files that a user (with no antivirus up to date) downloads via his mailbox and hide your folders. Then, change the path of the existing shortcuts (or by creating them) in order to direct anyone to the diabolical executable.

Your help would be truly valuable !

Thank you.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Christopher_51, Jun 21, 2017
  3. Maria Fab Win User
    How to prevent creation / modification of shortcuts for users (Active Directory domain) ?

Hello Christopher,

This kind of issue is more complex than what is normally posted here in the Community. We suggest that you post your query in our
    MSDN Forum for further assistance.

Regards.

Maria Fab, Jun 21, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

How to prevent creation of list of applications launched

Hello *Smile

Are you referring to the list that Windows keeps in the registry key UserAssist? These entries are encrypted but there are tools that allow you or others to view it. This is how someone can monitor all the programs that you have ever run on your device.

CCleaner has an option to remove these entries. There maybe tools that can turn off the logging of these entries but this is not something that you can do within the windows system settings or privacy settings as far as I know.

philc43, Jun 21, 2017
  5. Thanks PhilC. My registry entry came up on a plain text search in the Regedit search function, so I'm not sure about the encryption of the entry?? I'll wait a day or so in case anyone comes up with a direct removal method (presumably I can just delete it through regedit, but I heed the awful warnings) before saying 'solved'.

Nosirrah762, Jun 21, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    If it was a plain text entry then it is something else. Windows logs just about everything you do!

philc43, Jun 21, 2017
  7. Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-266190730-1346868948-1307986354-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\SIGN.MEDIA\hexstring example.exe Reg Binary long binary hex string Sole entry - so you're saying there will be other 'invisible' entries eraseable with CCCleaner?

Nosirrah762, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to prevent creation of list of applications launched

1. How to prevent creation of list of applications launched - Similar Threads - prevent creation list

2. Application will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application will not launch: I've downloaded a 64 Bit application called Siril a few weeks ago and it has been working fine however today when I tried opening it, I got no response. I have restarted my laptop and uninstalled/installed the app. When I click on the app, the loading sign on my cursor...
  3. Application will not launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application will not launch: I've downloaded a 64 Bit application called Siril a few weeks ago and it has been working fine however today when I tried opening it, I got no response. I have restarted my laptop and uninstalled/installed the app. When I click on the app, the loading sign on my cursor...
  4. How to prevent applications showing up partially off-screen at launch?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent applications showing up partially off-screen at launch?: Up front: sorry! Likely this may have been asked over and over. However, I vainly searched for a solution. Hopefully someone can point me to the correct solution. Issue: Usually it is the bottom area (i.e. the status bar) of about 10-15mm, so I need to move the window panel a...
  5. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Browsers and Email
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  6. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  7. How to change application launch properties?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change application launch properties?: In previous versions of Windows, one could right-click on a start menu selection, and change an application's command-line arguments, start directory, etc. How does one do this in Windows 10? We need to change startup parameters just like under older versions of Windows! For...
  8. Preventing creation of System Volume Information

Preventing creation of System Volume Information: Hi all, I need help how to prevent Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.535) creating the System Volume Information on removable drive (CF Card). I have CF Cards with installed Win Embedded with two partitions: - first is System - second is software Usually on Windows 7, was opened...
  9. Family Safety: Prevent Application Launches?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety: Prevent Application Launches?: Clue me in..... Does the windows 10 family Safety, actually allow you to block all apps except for the ones you allow your child to run? It's not clear from their site verbiage on whether you can only block apps that show in the "recent history" (ie run at least once),...
  10. How to prevent auto launch of Lotus SmartSuite toolbar?

How to prevent auto launch of Lotus SmartSuite toolbar?: I loaded Lotus SmartSuite Release 9.8.1 onto my system with Windows 10, 64-bit operating system. How do I prevent the automatic launching of the SmartSuite tool bar, which appears at the top of the screen? 88322