Windows 10: How to prevent Nvidia drivers from reinstalling?

Discus and support How to prevent Nvidia drivers from reinstalling? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, In a previous thread, I described a problem I had where my USB mouse and keyboard would freeze frequently. I could not unfreeze a USB port,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by okgyrlge, Jul 19, 2017.

1. okgyrlge Win User

How to prevent Nvidia drivers from reinstalling?

Hello,

In a previous thread, I described a problem I had where my USB mouse and keyboard would freeze frequently. I could not unfreeze a USB port, but mouse and keyboard would work if I changed ports.

It was suggested that I completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers and software using the Display Driver Uninstaller, then reinstall the appropriate drivers, only the bare essentials. This instantly solved the USB problem.

But now this problem is returning, even though I blocked these two updates with Microsoft's "Show or hide updates" utility:
    NVIDIA - Display - 2/6/2017 12:00:00 AM - 21.21.13.7684
    NVIDIA Corporation - MEDIA - 8/30/2015 12:00:00 AM - 1.3.34.3

Since the problem was fixed immediately after following the suggestion, and since it has now returned even though I blocked these two updates, I'm guessing there's somehow some other drivers that were still automatically updated. Is there a way to narrow down this problem and find out which drivers were updated since a certain time? If this is the problem, can I prevent Windows from touching the graphics drivers in the future?

Thanks!

:)

okgyrlge, Jul 19, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

No video for nVidia Quattro or Intel HD 530 after installation of KB3211320

Your best option is to download the driver for the nVidia Quadro card from the nVidia Website and install it. I have an nVidia Quadro 4000 card and I had to stop Windows 10 overwriting the driver with a version that did not work. If the newer driver from
    the nVidia website does not work, try an earlier version of the driver.

Windows update in their wisdom updates your drivers when there is no need and a lot of the time with drivers that do not work. When you get the card working, read

THIS ARTICLE
    on how to stop Windows 10 from updating just that particular driver and you should be OK in the Future . . .

DaveM121, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Preventing installation of problematic Nvidia video driver when installing Windows 10 Insider Preview 14342

Hello,

I am transitioning from Windows 10.0 Build 10240 to Windows 10 Insider Preview 14342

I have problems with an Nvidia driver (when activated, it causes startup BSODs). So, I am attempting to prevent its re-installation (after I delete it).

I find that there is a conflict between what Windows Update says and what the KB3073930 hide/unhide tool says. Despite using "hide" to try "hide" (i.e. prevent re-installation) the Nvidia driver, Windows Update still tells me it wants to install the Nvidia
    driver (this also happens after a computer restart).

I simply want to guarantee that the problematic Nvidia driver will never be installed again (I am using a laptop where its Intel video driver works but the Nvidia driver causes a BSOD).

My question is : despite using the tool KB3073930 to try "hide" (i.e. prevent future driver installations) the problematic Nvidia driver, will the installation process for Windows 10 Insider Preview 14342 look at the hardware as a "new installation" and
    then try re-install the problematic Nvidia driver?

Is there some other way to solve the problem and prevent Windows 10 from trying to install the problematic Nvidia driver?

Best regards,

Stephen

Dr Stephen Michelson, Jul 19, 2017
  4. TrustMe Win User

TrustMe, Jul 19, 2017
  5. okgyrlge Win User
    I forgot to mention that I already did that. Is it still possible that some drivers still get automatically updated?

okgyrlge, Jul 19, 2017
  6. okgyrlge Win User
    Another clue: Sometimes when a USB port freezes, my Bluetooth headphones (my desktop has Bluetooth) stop working at exactly the same time, and I have to restart the computer (or log out and log in) to get Bluetooth back. Does this sound like a motherboard problem?

To recap what I've tried:
    • Installing the latest drivers for my motherboard.
    • Checking for BIOS updates. (There were none.)
    • I turned off "Turbo mode" in the BIOS and maybe this helped a tiny bit, but I don't know for sure.
    • Complete, fresh reinstall of Windows 10.
    • Updating to Windows 10 1703, then downgrading to 1607.
    • Live Lubuntu on USB. Didn't have the freezing problem there, but it's possible I didn't wait long enough.
    • Checkdisk and memory test.
    • DISM.
    • HDtune.
    • Completely uninstalling Nvidia drivers and software and reinstalling only the bare essentials. <-- This is the only thing that instantly fixed my dead USB ports, but now I have the same problem for some reason, even though I checked "No" in Device Installation Settings and blocked Nvidia updates.
    • Checked "No" in Device Installation Settings.
    • Blocking Windows update from installing Nvidia drivers and software.

More details in my previous thread: BSOD randomly, usually error 0x0000001a Solved - Windows 10 Forums

This problem has been a real hassle, and troubleshooting has dragged on for weeks. I hope I don't have to get a new computer, at least not until I know exactly what's wrong with this one. Thanks.

okgyrlge, Jul 19, 2017
  7. viper1308 Win User
    Me, my friend, and my Dad's rigs are all doing this. Ours is just with our Nvidia Drivers. We tried most of the same things you did, still Windows update would sneak whatever version of GeForce drivers out thinks we should have.We have the 1703 build on all of ours. We first tried installing a program by O&O called Shutup10. This worked for keeping Windows update from forcing driver updates on other devices.
    Long story short, ended up having to edit the Group Policy for Device installations. You have to get your hardware IDs codes from all the hardware that you don't want windows installing drivers for. Copy and paste them into the policy list of hardware exemptions. Worked like a charm.
    Verified by looking in windows update history and drop down arrow for Device drivers and there it is , Nvidia Display Driver failed to install. Here's the detailed instructions I followed:
    How to Prevent Windows from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers

viper1308, Aug 10, 2017
  8. okgyrlge Win User

Actually, I have replaced my power supply, and this seems to have finally fixed the problem. If not, I'll be back here, and thanks for your answer.

okgyrlge, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent Nvidia drivers from reinstalling? - Similar Threads - prevent Nvidia drivers

2. How to reinstall NVIDIA driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to reinstall NVIDIA driver?: I had a computer that had NVIDIA Display could run and play smoothly. One day my computer screen glitched and then for a short time computer screen is back but it's like stretched. I went to Device Manager and I ACCIDENTALLY deleted NVIDIA Graphics Card, then the screen...
  3. How to prevent Realtek Driver to Automatic Reinstall.

How to prevent Realtek Driver to Automatic Reinstall.: Resume: With the generic drivers my wired JBL Headset works perfectly. With the realtek drivers the audio works, and my mic doesn't the built in mic works when I disconnect my headset.Everytime when I remove the realtek driver on device manager it automatic reinstall after...
  4. How to change from windows basic driver to nvidia driver?

How to change from windows basic driver to nvidia driver?: Hello, my screen had lots of artifacts so I decided to reinstall my graphics driver, however I messed up, and when I go to device manager I don't see any display adapters tab, but in my system properties it says I have a windows basic driver, so whenever I try to download an...
  5. How Do I Uninstall Old Nvidia Drivers to prevent lag?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Do I Uninstall Old Nvidia Drivers to prevent lag?: Hello Im trying to figure out how to uninstall old nvidia drivers from windows because I'm getting lower frame rates in games. I cant seem to find what to do to get rid of old drivers and I really don't want to mess something. If you know what to do please help because I...
  6. How to prevent automatic install of nvidia display driver

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent automatic install of nvidia display driver: I recently moved from nvidia to AMD but windows update still install nvidia display driver! how to prevent that ? 148594
  7. Prevent Windows from reinstalling drivers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent Windows from reinstalling drivers: Hello, I am trying to prevent windows from reinstalling my old wifi drivers after I uninstall it. However, after every reboot it keeps coming back. Can you tell me how to disable it completely? I am using windows 10 home. Thank you....
  8. Wanted to reinstall NVIDIA Drivers, but now no Driver-installer works

Wanted to reinstall NVIDIA Drivers, but now no Driver-installer works: Hey I had an Issue with my Monitor losing the signal to my still functioning and working pc while playing games, so I thought reinstalling my drivers could solve the issue . I deinstalled my Graphics Drivers trough the device manager, but Now I cant install the driver again....
  9. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent removed apps from reinstalling: Hello all, There are a few apps that keep installing themselves even after I removed them. 3D builder, Get Office, etc. Is there a way, or a couple ways to get them to NOT install once I remove them? Or to at the very least block them from functioning (example, the Get...
  10. NVIDIA display drivers deleted by Windows 10 update - how to prevent

NVIDIA display drivers deleted by Windows 10 update - how to prevent: Windows 10 update keeps deleting NVIDIA display drivers - how to prevent ? After each Windows 10 update: 1) get the message "your display drivers have been updated, restart" 2) after restart only one display is showing content - the other one is blank 3) have poor,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prevent nvidia drivers from reinstalling boot

2. geforce driver keeps reinstalling

3. prevent windows from installing nvidia drivers

4. how to prevent windows installing nvidia drivers,
  5. stop nvidia drivers reinstalling,
  6. prevent nvidia reinstall