Windows 10: How to prevent standard users from installing apps

Discus and support How to prevent standard users from installing apps in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; H guys, Currently i have a laptop with 1 admin and 1 standard user account. I want to prevent standard users account from installing any programs... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gundja, Jan 14, 2018.

1. gundja Win User

How to prevent standard users from installing apps

H guys,
    Currently i have a laptop with 1 admin and 1 standard user account.
    I want to prevent standard users account from installing any programs and also prevent them from messing around with the settings like changing the wallpaper or themes or any other settings.

my setup is like that
    Windows 10 pro

thanks

:)

gundja, Jan 14, 2018

2. how to prevent users from installing software

Hi there, did you ever work out a way of doing this, I'm having exactly the same challenge!

Many thanks for any advice!

tigertim22, Jan 14, 2018
  3. how to prevent users from installing software

I did. All the PCs have 2 local accounts 1 Admin and the other is a standard user. My staff only have access to the standard user log in. I have access to the admin log in. I figured that with Office 365, Intune & Azure AD subscriptions there has to be
    an easier way.

DannySmith007, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

Gundja,

Start menu,
    Windows system,
    Control panel,
    User accounts,
    User accounts [again - may not be necessary as it depends on your Control panel View setting],
    Change User Account Control settings,
    give Admin permission to proceed,
    Drag the slider all the way to the top,
    OK,
    give Admin permission to proceed.

Now everybody, including your Admin account, will have to give Admin permission to proceed to be able to change Windows settings.

Denis

5. lx07 Win User
    Standard users can't install old style programs (shared by all users) without Administrator approval.

If you want to restrict them installing things from the Store as well afaik you'll need to uninstall the Store app as you can't disable it in Pro.

Source

To remove store for current user
    Uninstall Apps in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

6. gundja Win User
    ok guys thanks for this response.
    I have already set up the slider to the top and still standard users are still able to install google chrome or mozilla firefox despite the admin privileges box pop up for password. even if they enter no password and click on yes, they are still able to install both browsers.

that's weird ....
    Any other alternative solutions guys?

thanks

gundja, Jan 14, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    You'd need to block the exe not the installer if you want to restrict portable apps. Both Chrome and Firefox will install in %appdata% for current user only (actually they don't need to be installed even) so UAC will not help as they aren't writing to restricted area of system.

It would be hard to block them as user could rename the program and put it anywhere so blocking chrome.exe or .exe running from %appdata% wouldn't work if you are up against a determined foe *Wink

You could make it a child account perhaps Changes to Microsoft Family make it possible to block Chrome and Firefox in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

8. gundja Win User

i thought it would be so simple to block. i am using chrome and firefox as examples but i would like to apply this to everyone who logged in using a standard account and want to install any kind of software.

gundja, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent standard users from installing apps - Similar Threads - prevent standard users

2. How to block standard users from installing programs into their own profile?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to block standard users from installing programs into their own profile?: This isn't a new question, but I can't find the answer and all the other threads a locked.One of the most referenced threads is provided here, but it's clouded by what is and isn't a "standard user" and doesn't answer the question of how to block a standard user from...
  3. How to block standard users from installing programs into their own profile?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to block standard users from installing programs into their own profile?: This isn't a new question, but I can't find the answer and all the other threads a locked.One of the most referenced threads is provided here, but it's clouded by what is and isn't a "standard user" and doesn't answer the question of how to block a standard user from...
  4. How to block standard users from installing programs into their own profile?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I prevent standard users from installing software?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I prevent standard users from installing software?: Hello,I'm attempting to set up a computer with two accounts. The first is an administrative account and the second is a standard account. The standard account is a part of my Microsoft family as a "child" account with parental restrictions. Since Microsoft only applies the...
  6. How do I prevent standard users from installing software?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent standard users from installing software?: Hello,I'm attempting to set up a computer with two accounts. The first is an administrative account and the second is a standard account. The standard account is a part of my Microsoft family as a "child" account with parental restrictions. Since Microsoft only applies the...
  7. How do I prevent standard users from installing software?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to prevent users from installing extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from installing extensions in Microsoft Edge: You can prevent others from installing extensions in Microsoft Edge using the Registry Editor and the Local Group Policy Editor. Although extensions are supposed to enhance your user experience, at times, they might make things worse. You can therefore block others from...
  9. How to install programs on a standard user?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to install programs on a standard user?: I was always using admin account but I've heard that it's not a recommended way to use system for security reasons. So I did a fresh Windows 10 install and created an additional standard user. And I encounter many problems: Some programs that I install on a standard user,...
  10. Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps: I set up an account for my kids on a new laptop about 6 months ago. When I did this, I made sure they were a standard user and needed my permission to install or uninstall apps. This worked well until the end of December 2020. I just noticed that there were new apps my kids...