Windows 10: How to prevent update from turning my PC on unattended.

Discus and support How to prevent update from turning my PC on unattended. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an issue whereby when I return home from work in the evening, I find my PC running after being turned on by Windows Update during the day. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Miggs, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Miggs Win User

How to prevent update from turning my PC on unattended.

I have an issue whereby when I return home from work in the evening, I find my PC running after being turned on by Windows Update during the day. I find this intrusion unacceptable and I probably wouldn't mind so much if it turned it back off again! What if I was away for a vacation?
    The other associated issue is that it installs an unwanted graphics driver upgrade, unfortunately this driver causes numerous dxgmm2.sys BSOD's. My only resolution for which is to roll back to an older 347.88 driver which runs like clockwork on SWTOR. Each night I roll back the driver to play uninterrupted and next day it is overwritten!

I tried an online chat with Microsoft regarding the issue.
    Hi, How are you today? How can I help *Smile I explained my problem.
    Response = Chat ended!
    I retried with a different operator:
    Hi, How are you today? How can I help *Smile I explained my problem and that I had been cut off.
    Response = Chat ended!

Is MS going too far?
    Any ideas? - unfortunately being Windows Home edition, my control of these updates is limited to non existent!

:)

Miggs, Jan 28, 2016
  2. Frank1100 Win User

How to prevent Win10 from turning on by itself ?

ok thx, will try that. Was hoping though the Microsoft Support Engineers could pull the solution for sure out of their respective employment.

Frank1100, Jan 28, 2016
  3. How to prevent Win10 from turning on by itself ?

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your response.

This is because of the Windows updates, If there are any updates needs to be installed the system wakes up from hibernation and will install the updates.

Check if the same issue persists if you put the system to sleep mode.

Please post to us to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 28, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Do you actually turn of pc or just use sleep/hibernate?

If you do turn off pc, try turning off fastboot, and then pc will shutdown completely when you shut it down.

Alternatively just disconnect from mains?

cereberus, Jan 28, 2016
  5. Miggs Win User
    Being Home edition, I don't think I have the option to turn off Fastboot?
    Unplugging from the mains serves no purpose as the drivers just get overwritten on next boot up.*
    This is a horrendous situation and it seems the only way to regain some control is to upgrade to Pro.

*edit - they just got overwritten as I finished this post!

Miggs, Jan 28, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Fast boot is not Home or Pro dependent.

Re drivers can't help.

cereberus, Jan 28, 2016
  7. Miggs Win User
    Could you tell me where the option to turn it off is please?
    I have looked in Control Panel/system/power/choose what buttons do/show currently unavailable and there is no Fastboot selection there. Only Lock.

Miggs, Jan 28, 2016
  8. How to prevent update from turning my PC on unattended.

dorian mode, Jan 28, 2016
  9. Miggs Win User
    Thank you Dorian, I will check out and report back.

Miggs, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent update from turning my PC on unattended. - Similar Threads - prevent update turning

2. how to prevent hyper v from automatically turning on after update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to prevent hyper v from automatically turning on after update?: how to prevent hyper v from automatically turning on after update? submitted by /u/johncaling40 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k3ckms/how_to_prevent_hyper_v_from_automatically_turning/
  3. Is it possible to prevent apps from preventing my pc from shutting down?

Is it possible to prevent apps from preventing my pc from shutting down?: I can no longer hit shut down and walk away from my pc, I have to wait and see if there's an application preventing my computer from shutting down to which I click "shut down anyway", it happens almost every time I try to shutdown or restart. It's hardly ever the same app...
  4. How to prevent this message from appearing when turning on my computer from hibernation?

How to prevent this message from appearing when turning on my computer from hibernation?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Curious-Cat-2020 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dqxvb0/how_to_prevent_this_message_from_appearing_when/
  5. Update Orchestrator Service is preventing my PC from sleeping

Update Orchestrator Service is preventing my PC from sleeping: Disabling and stopping this service allows the PC to sleep. Is this a known issue? any fix other than disabling it? This happened after upgrading to 1903. Should've stayed at 1809. submitted by /u/potatodos [link] [comments]...
  6. Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Update/Reboot on unattended but running machine!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Update/Reboot on unattended but running machine!: I'm running Windows 10 Home. I often run long processing jobs, overnight. At all times of day. I don't always know how long they will take. Windows 10 pops up a message saying upgrade etc, but if you are not there, it insists on upgrading and restarting anyway, after a...
  7. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  8. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  9. How can I prevent Windows 10 from restarting while unattended?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows 10 from restarting while unattended?: I frequently need to leave processes (simulations, renders etc) running for 24 hours or more, but often find in the morning that WIndows has restarted overnight due to an update, destroying all the work. I know about "active hours" but I need to completely prevent these...
  10. How to prevent an account from Auto Logging in after PC is turned on

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to prevent an account from Auto Logging in after PC is turned on: Right now have an issue that is a nuisance. There are several user accounts on our Windows 10 pc. Recently one of the accounts has been auto logging in. This happens after the computer is shut down and then powered back on at a later time. This account is the last one that...