Windows 10: How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically?

Discus and support How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Ever since I updated to Windows 10, I feel like all control of my computer now belongs to Microsoft rather than myself. The bottom line is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mortac, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mortac Win User

How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically?

Ever since I updated to Windows 10, I feel like all control of my computer now belongs to Microsoft rather than myself.

The bottom line is that Windows 10 occasionally thinks restarting my computer is a good idea, and it doesn't matter if I have unsaved work open. It will simply just close it down. How Microsoft could ever think this was a good idea is beyond words. I would like to put a thousand bad words aimed at Microsoft here, but I will keep it civil.

So, how do I prevent Windows 10 from restarting? It appears to mostly do this overnight. I have looked through the Windows settings, and I have turned off the "schedule a time" option under "Restart options." This doesn't change anything though since it still reboots whenever Microsoft thinks it's a good idea to do so.

How do I prevent this without "hacking" Windows? There simply must be a way to do this through its settings, however, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it isn't possible (Microsoft logic).

:)

mortac, Feb 8, 2018
  2. Thoemel Win User

How do I prevent Windows 10 from restoring programs after reboot

How do I prevent Windows 10 from restoring programs after reboot

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

Thoemel, Feb 8, 2018
  3. How can I prevent Windows Update from rebooting my computer without my consent?

Thank you for checking in.

The device is managed by a domain.

Currently on 1709 Build 16299.192

The Windows Update options offered by the current build of Windows are insufficient in allowing users to preserve their work for periods greater than 18 hours. Some processes take more than 18 hours and some projects require that files and programs remain
    open for more than 18 hours.

Changing active hours does nothing to prevent Windows from rebooting my computer during non-active hours. Windows rebooting WITHOUT WARNING on its own to update to 1709 recently cost me an incalculable amount of work and two entire days of time working to
    recover. My project had a short timeline and important deadlines were missed. It wouldn't surprise me if the unexpected reboot ends up costing me 6 digits in lost revenues as a result of the delays and lost data I experienced.

I was NEVER notified that an update with a restart was pending, so I never had any opportunity to "Schedule a time" in the restart options as you suggest.

No operating system should ever restart a computer without the explicit consent of the user. For no reason, EVER. I understand that some updates require a restart to be effective. However, an operating system MUST permit the user a sufficient opportunity
    to save his work.

Windows 10 is no different than MALWARE since it takes control of my computer without notice or permission and destroys files.

CalHaugland, Feb 8, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Bottom line- why is it restarting? You need to be sure of that to decide what to try.

If you look at your Update History, is there any correlation between some updates (not all require a restart) and your PC restarting?
    (You should also be able to see your updates listed in Reliability History.

But your PC could be restarting because of software or hardware problems.
    You could possibly find more from your event log.

Considering updates, you may know that in Settings you can set Active Hours which is intended to define a period (max 18 hours) during which a restart will not occur. Clearly that's not 24 hours.

Do you have Home or Pro?

If you have Pro you definitely have more control of updates. Some have had success setting updates to Notify (before downloading etc) in Home too using a registry modification, or the same more conveniently via a 3rd party tool such as Windows Update Minitool (free), which is worth looking at, and offers disable/enable and notify settings for updates.

By default, updates and upgrades will be applied automatically, and a restart is possible, about the worst choice possible.
    Pro upwards offer an option to pause updates up to 35 days.

dalchina, Feb 8, 2018
  5. philc43 Win User
    Also check that you do not have Automatically restart enabled after a system failure. This will provide a better chance for you to see that a BSOD event has occurred and read on the screen any information about what might have caused it.

How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically? [​IMG]

To get to these settings type advanced in the search box and select View Advanced System Settings. Then select the start-up and recovery section.

philc43, Feb 8, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    You could use Nirsoft's Bluescreenview (free) - a quick way to see if you've had any BSODs, assuming you haven't e.g. run ccleaner and deleted the dmp files.

dalchina, Feb 8, 2018
  7. mortac Win User

Thanks for the advice. I use WIndows 10 Pro.

It is not related to crashes. My system is stable as a rock. It's just that these automatic restarts caused by the geniuses over at Microsoft are very much the same as intentionally induced crashes. No other way to put it.

I will use the "gpedit.msc" as my solution. It's just unbelievable though that you need to do these things just to disable something so basic. It really shows just how little Microsoft knows about what their customers want. I find it mind-boggling, really.

mortac, Feb 8, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically? - Similar Threads - prevent rebooting automatically

2. There's no realistic way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting itself after an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There's no realistic way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting itself after an...: This is one of many reasons why people use Apple's macOS. macOS is not only superior to Windows 10 - macOS doesn't automatically reboot itself after an update. I've lost so much work because Microsoft's lack of understanding that rebooting causes your work to become lost....
  3. There's no realistic way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting itself after an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There's no realistic way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting itself after an...: This is one of many reasons why people use Apple's macOS. macOS is not only superior to Windows 10 - macOS doesn't automatically reboot itself after an update. I've lost so much work because Microsoft's lack of understanding that rebooting causes your work to become lost....
  4. There's no realistic way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting itself after an...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to prevent a window from automatically minimizing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a window from automatically minimizing on Windows 10: Hi. I would like to find out if there is any way that I can prevent a window from minimizing automatically when I click on another open window on Windows 10 . At times I need to copy down details of a certain document onto another document. Copy and paste or Split screen...
  6. How to prevent a window from automatically minimizing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent a window from automatically minimizing on Windows 10: Hi. I would like to find out if there is any way that I can prevent a window from minimizing automatically when I click on another open window on Windows 10 . At times I need to copy down details of a certain document onto another document. Copy and paste or Split screen...
  7. How to prevent a window from automatically minimizing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Rebooting itself during Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Rebooting itself during Updates: I'd like to know if there is any way an extremely easy way to prevent Windows from automatically rebooting itself during updates. Last night my machine rebooted itself causing a lot of work to be lost....
  9. How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?: Hello all, I’ve been trying to tackle this issue all day and it’s starting to drive me mad. I was troubleshooting something else on my system and I realized that I have a piece of hardware that has never been installed correctly. This is the device I’m trying I’m trying to...
  10. How to prevent windows reboots?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent windows reboots?: I run a Linux VM on my Win10 machine at work and plan to travel for a week or more. I’d like to be able to connect to the Linux instance, but if windows reboots then obviously it won’t restart my Linux instance automatically and I need to ask someone to turn it back on. Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to Prevent Windows 10/64 Professional from rebooting unattended