Windows 10: How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back?

Discus and support How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a $Windows.~BT file on my c drive (Windows 10 Trial version, Partitioned on a Macbook via Bootcamp) that takes up a lot of space (can easily get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Monado, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Monado Win User

How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back?

I have a $Windows.~BT file on my c drive (Windows 10 Trial version, Partitioned on a Macbook via Bootcamp) that takes up a lot of space (can easily get to 17gb+ if left undeleted). Normally I can't delete it via the recycle bin so I did some googling and found that you can do so by entering the following in order on the command line:

takeown /F C:\$Windows.~BT* /R /A

icacls C:\$Windows.~BT*.* /T /grant administrators:F

rmdir /S /Q C:\$Windows.~BT\

However every time I delete it and restart the computer, the file comes back after 10-20 minutes and quickly starts eating space again. How do I delete this file permanently? Apparently the file is used when upgrading from Windows 7/8 to 10 but this is a mac so I'm not sure why I even have this file (I did have a previous partition of Windows 10 which I deleted) ? I also had a windows.old file which I deleted via disk cleanup.

:)

Monado, Jul 1, 2018
  2. ALEXVICE Win User

How to prevent $Windows BT from coming back.

Ok um i have same sh*t issue, but how to prevent it from coming back? I delete it. after awhile it comes back and if i delay the deleting it spreads up and gets harder to delete. HOW TO PREVENT IT? Please is there any solution? Ive upgraded from win 8 to
    win 10 pro. here's what i need to know: why it comes back and how to delete the windows old. it says that its not located in C drive and it contains 1 folder named winrar. its impossible to delete and the windows.old also wont let me delete it. not even thru
    the disc cleanup. even when i select the system files its not listed there.. Its really annoying..i have to look cautiously when it appears again to delete right away.. Though must say that folder wasnt there. it appeared recently. like a month ago..

ALEXVICE, Jul 1, 2018
  3. ALEXVICE Win User
    How to prevent $Windows BT from coming back.

its all nice but i get abit of annoyed by all this. here's more the $Windows~BT folder. how to prevent it from coming back? the problem is that it never used to be there. it appeared recently and even after deleting it comes back after a while. is there
    a way to block that folder?

ALEXVICE, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Tintai Win User

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back? - Similar Threads - prevent $Windows ~BT

2. How to automatically delete a file every time it comes back?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to automatically delete a file every time it comes back?: I just want to choose a specific file that will be automatically deleted each and every times it comes back. Any way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-automatically-delete-a-file-every-time-it/71a6b170-ed14-4215-87ef-fc18f376e93d
  3. My deleted files are coming back.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My deleted files are coming back.: Deleted files coming back randomly submitted by /u/Ncuber1111 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mhp89e/my_deleted_files_are_coming_back/
  4. How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from downloading files in Edge: At times, you might not want to allow other users to download files on your computer. If you are using the Microsoft Edge browser, things are relatively straightforward. Here is how to prevent users from downloading files in the Edge browser. You can set the filter for...
  5. doesn't come back from sleep

doesn't come back from sleep: I have a monitor a keyboard and a mouse connected to my laptop, I don't have space on my desk for both my laptop and monitor so I just use my monitor with the laptop closed but when It goes to sleep I cant used my keyboard or mouse to wake it up, I have to open the laptop...
  6. Deleted file keep coming back

Deleted file keep coming back: Hello guys, i noticed file in C named with date and year created its own, i tried deleting it but everytime i restart laptop or shutdown then turn on, it recreates again on C, anyone know why is that happening and what is this file and why did it even create? And how can i...
  7. How to prevent applications from automatically removing files.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent applications from automatically removing files.: version 1903 is there any way to prevent applications from deleting files within certain folders on my pc? i want the folders to still be writable, but not allow anything to delete files after they have been made or moved into the folder. my main concern for this is steam,...
  8. How to prevent additional keyboard layouts from coming back?

How to prevent additional keyboard layouts from coming back?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jpcrs [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkpzcl/how_to_prevent_additional_keyboard_layouts_from/
  9. deleted files come back

deleted files come back: I have two folders that I need to delete. Every time I delete them they re-appear after maybe 30 mins to 1 hour. I even delete them permanently from the recycle bin, but they still re-appear. Please can someone help. It's driving me mad! Thanks Mike...
  10. Delete Windows BT file

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows BT file: Hi so I'm thinking of this weekend finally updating my windows version from 1809, but I have an issue I have about 20 GB's of space taken from a previous failed installed 1903 update back in September and I'd like to get rid of it. Disk Cleanup won't show the file and I...