How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back?

Discus and support How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a $Windows.~BT file on my c drive (Windows 10 Trial version, Partitioned on a Macbook via Bootcamp) that takes up a lot of space (can easily get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Monado, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Monado Win User

I have a $Windows.~BT file on my c drive (Windows 10 Trial version, Partitioned on a Macbook via Bootcamp) that takes up a lot of space (can easily get to 17gb+ if left undeleted). Normally I can't delete it via the recycle bin so I did some googling and found that you can do so by entering the following in order on the command line:

takeown /F C:\$Windows.~BT* /R /A

icacls C:\$Windows.~BT*.* /T /grant administrators:F

rmdir /S /Q C:\$Windows.~BT\

However every time I delete it and restart the computer, the file comes back after 10-20 minutes and quickly starts eating space again. How do I delete this file permanently? Apparently the file is used when upgrading from Windows 7/8 to 10 but this is a mac so I'm not sure why I even have this file (I did have a previous partition of Windows 10 which I deleted) ? I also had a windows.old file which I deleted via disk cleanup.

:)

Monado, Jul 1, 2018
  2. ALEXVICE Win User

How to prevent $Windows BT from coming back.

Ok um i have same sh*t issue, but how to prevent it from coming back? I delete it. after awhile it comes back and if i delay the deleting it spreads up and gets harder to delete. HOW TO PREVENT IT? Please is there any solution? Ive upgraded from win 8 to
    win 10 pro. here's what i need to know: why it comes back and how to delete the windows old. it says that its not located in C drive and it contains 1 folder named winrar. its impossible to delete and the windows.old also wont let me delete it. not even thru
    the disc cleanup. even when i select the system files its not listed there.. Its really annoying..i have to look cautiously when it appears again to delete right away.. Though must say that folder wasnt there. it appeared recently. like a month ago..

ALEXVICE, Jul 1, 2018
  3. ALEXVICE Win User
    How to prevent $Windows BT from coming back.

its all nice but i get abit of annoyed by all this. here's more the $Windows~BT folder. how to prevent it from coming back? the problem is that it never used to be there. it appeared recently and even after deleting it comes back after a while. is there
    a way to block that folder?

ALEXVICE, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Tintai Win User

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent $Windows.~BT file from coming back? - Similar Threads - prevent $Windows ~BT

2. Kernel Security Check Failure error prevents Windows 10 from starting after Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel Security Check Failure error prevents Windows 10 from starting after Windows Update: I'm running Windows Pro 64 bit on a laptop. Windows automatically downloaded and installed an update but may have been unsuccessful. I think that I need to roll back (undo) the last update that was installed. How do I do that if the computer won't boot to Windows?...
  3. Windows 10 power state failure BSOD preventing restart

Windows 10 power state failure BSOD preventing restart: Hi there I have an issue whereby each time I shut down or the system restarts, the system hangs until eventually displaying the BSOD Power_State_Failure. I have been searching various solutions and have updated as many drivers as I could (especially what appear to be the...
  4. Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to prevent Windows from restarting my computer without my approval?: I know that I can schedule updates under settings. My problem is that, if I am not there to actively postpone it, Windows restarts my computer whenever it feels like it. This is not acceptable. I frequently leave tasks running when I am away from my machine, any progress...
  5. How to prevent windows 10 from deleting only the manual restore points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to prevent windows 10 from deleting only the manual restore points: Hi, I want to enable the auto backup, but i am afraid that once the restore points size will exceed the max size it will erase my manual restore point - the one i manually configured right after finishing installing all my programs and adjust my PC as i wanted. this is the...
  6. Browsers in Windows 10 1803 taking over Steam Games Links. how to prevent that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browsers in Windows 10 1803 taking over Steam Games Links. how to prevent that?: ok . so issue is in 1803 of windows 10. Fresh install of windows 10. fresh installed Steam. while i launch game in steam client (Don Bradman Cricket 14). it starts normally. but when after going through a match setup and match is about to start. Window's default browser...
  7. Fullscreen applications prevent windows menu from opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fullscreen applications prevent windows menu from opening: Whenever I use the windows key in a full screen application, it works fine. I do that a second time and it doesn't open. How can I fix this?...
  8. Windows Update Constantly freezes and prevents machine boot completing

Windows Update Constantly freezes and prevents machine boot completing: Means I have to restore and this caused me two weekends of lost work!!!!!! MICROSOFT NEED TO FIX THIS AND STOP CONSTANTLY UPGRADING BAD PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT DISRUPTS USE OF COMPUTER !!!!!!!!...
  9. No Scroll bars prevent bottom window access

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No Scroll bars prevent bottom window access: Being a senior with fading eye sight, I use the 150% scaling on the System Display setting. The problem arises due to 1/2 of the windows on various applications, not providing a scroll bar, preventing access to the options at the bottom of these windows that extend beyond the...
  10. System Display Percent - No Scroll bars prevent bottom window access

in Windows 10 Support
    System Display Percent - No Scroll bars prevent bottom window access: Being a senior with fading eye sight, I use the 150% scaling on the System Display setting. The problem arises due to 1/2 of the windows on various applications, not providing a scroll bar, preventing access to the options at the bottom of these windows that extend beyond the...