Windows 10: How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update?

Discus and support How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm running Win10 Home ver 1607. Windows Update has downloaded ver 1709 (due to an unmetered connection) and Windows Update now wants me to update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by unbob, Jan 5, 2018.

1. unbob Win User

How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update?

I'm running Win10 Home ver 1607. Windows Update has downloaded ver 1709 (due to an unmetered connection) and Windows Update now wants me to update. However I don't want to update and want to remove the downloaded data from my PC. How can I prevent Windows Update from installing the update? Thx, Rob

:)

unbob, Jan 5, 2018

2. How to prevent Windows 10 update from installing?

Uninstall the update and then hide the update using the troubleshooter tool:

When the update is offered, hide this update using the following troubleshooter tool:

Download Windows 10 Updates Troubleshooter Tool from Microsoft

Click on "Hide updates" option and you'll be able to hide desired update given in the list.

How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update? [​IMG]

Fixing Windows 10 Automatic Updates Installation Problem - AskVG

Hope that helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 5, 2018
  3. How to prevent Windows 10 update from installing?

The latest windows update disabled by Realtek HD audio built into my motherboard. BAD MICROSOFT! I could not get it to work so have deleted the driver and reinstalled. I will see if that works. This sort of thing should not be happening.

That partially worked - now I am limited to the front panel microphone jacks and the realtek config utility no longer opens. All this because of a stupid windows update - which should have been unnecessary as I didn't ask it.

How to I completely disable Windows 10 updates. I have had enough of this time wasting caused by bad programming?

***Post split by the moderator.***

MikeWillis, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

You do realise that 1607 will stop receiving security updates around March 2018?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

Bree, Jan 5, 2018
  5. unbob Win User
    Thanks! Yes I know. I'm traveling until March and don't want to be bothered with updates at the present time.

unbob, Jan 5, 2018
  6. topgundcp Win User
    • Win+R->gpedit.msc
    • Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Internet Communication Management->Internet Communication settings.
    • double-click Turn off access to all Windows Update features->Enable

If Windows Home is used. The above will not work (No group policy available). Use registry hack instead:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1890307222-450181549-3908673531-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{B29AB24F-B1A6-47D3-97A9-56ED9CDB7BD3}Machine\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001[/quote]

topgundcp, Jan 5, 2018
  7. unbob Win User
    Thanks. But I want to continue receiving security updates - just don't want the ver 1709 update!! To be honest I fear 1709 due to all the negative horror stories I've read here and elsewhere re installing and running 1709. I just wish it would "go away"! Though I've been running Windows for many years I'm not happy at all with the direction it's going in and now beginning to consider OS alternatives.

[/quote]

unbob, Jan 5, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update? - Similar Threads - prevent Update installing

2. How can I prevent an update from ever installing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent an update from ever installing?: Hello, The update KB5030310 breaks my graphic drivers constantly. I have uninstalled this update already 3 times and it keeps getting installed.Even if I paused all updates for 5 weeks, I still got it installed again today, how can I "blacklist" it or pause it from...
  3. how to prevent a bad update from re-installing automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent a bad update from re-installing automatically: Running Windows 10 ver 22H2 and Microsoft 365 ver 2306. Update KB5011048, .Net Framework 4.8.1, installed itself on 7/5/2023. After that almost all images in any emails would not display. Even in older emails that had previously displayed images properly. After...
  4. How to prevent update previews from installing automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent update previews from installing automatically: I am starting a new thread for this question since no one helped me on my prior thread. Each time there is a optional update preview for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 20H2 it automatically installs without even notifying me that it is pending. There must...
  5. Prevented from updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevented from updating: I tried to update a x64WinProV1803 laptop from a USB stick that I have twice used to update other systems to v20H2. I was told I could not, so I copied the install files to C:\ and tried again. Was first told I could not install W10 on a USB that is NOT what I was aiming for,...
  6. How to prevent from Installing BIOS update on its own?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent from Installing BIOS update on its own?: I have a Zephyrus S and apparently the latest BIOS has been pushed through a windows update...Everytime I try to downgrade windows 10 reboots and keeps updating the BIOS firmware How do I prevent this from happening? Thanks. submitted by /u/Waitwhathefuck [link]...
  7. How To Prevent M.S. Update From Being Installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How To Prevent M.S. Update From Being Installed: If M.S. has downloaded a "Feature" update, but it has yet been installed, is there a way to make sure M.S. will not automatically install it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-ms-update-from-being-installed/deb29b53-ce97-47ac-8cc2-f8125e5c11c5
  8. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  9. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  10. How to Prevent from re-install updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to Prevent from re-install updates: Hi, I want to uninstall last AU Update (ver. 105) because it takes too long restarting Windows (from 46s to over 1min. 6s), but I believe Windows will at once re-install the Update. How to prevent this? Thank you. 63091

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to avoid kb4493509 from installing