Windows 10: How to re-install WMP12 after MS update obliterated it

Discus and support How to re-install WMP12 after MS update obliterated it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 x64 system applied a large update last evening. Now, I don't have Windows Media Player 12 any more. Is it possible to get it back? If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, May 15, 2018.

1. Swifty Win User

How to re-install WMP12 after MS update obliterated it

My Windows 10 x64 system applied a large update last evening. Now, I don't have Windows Media Player 12 any more.
    Is it possible to get it back?
    If not, can I rollback the update?

:)

Swifty, May 15, 2018

2. WMP12 will not play mp4 video clip downloaded from a samsung smart phone

Error msg received - Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Searched for information on codec and found no updated content on MS sites for wmp12 codec

Brucehildyard, May 15, 2018
  3. Wytze_ Win User
    After W10 upgrade, WMP12 fails to add a (music) folder to the library

Dear Community,

I'm stuck with an issue in WMP12 and hope someone has a solution/suggestion.

Here is the Issue: WMP12 was doing perfect with some 25k tracks in W7 ultimate. I upgraded to W10 pro. The music library was empty after the upgrade. When I look at my music library (via 'organize/manage libraries/...', there is only the folder C:\users\public\music,
    which actually does not contain any music files. Using the "Add" button, I can select my music library (D:\users\public\music). After an OK to close this window, I can actually see the music tracks being added to the WMP12 library. However, after about 20
    tracks, the process stops and the tracks added to the library so far disappear again. What remains is an empty library and a few windows asking "do you want to share this folder". When I try adding the above folder again, I see that it is no longer in the
    "music Library locations" list.

Some other observations:

- I can successfully add a folder D:\users\<name>\pictures as well as D:\users\<name>\videos

- Also adding my (back up) music library from my NAS (\\<abc>\music) works fine

- If I try to add D:\users\public\pictures (about 40k files)), after a longer while, this also fails similar to above

- If I try to add D:\users\public\videos (about 200 files)), this also fails similar to above

So, it seems related to D:\users\public\... ???

Related to sharing? (note that I'm using C:\ SSD for Win-stuff and D:\ HDD for data)

I tried to clear the library database ("corrupted wmp library fix" procedure: close WMP12, run the WMP troubleshooter, than delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player folder), but this did not help.

Any idea/tip? Thanks in advance!

Wytze_, May 15, 2018
Thema:

How to re-install WMP12 after MS update obliterated it

1. How to re-install WMP12 after MS update obliterated it - Similar Threads - install WMP12 update

2. Re install MS Flight Simulator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re install MS Flight Simulator: I purchased MS flight simulator disc version shortly after it was released and have enjoyed using it. It was install on s 256SSD which have become full due all the additional upgrades and additional installs. I have upgraded this to 1 1TB ssd and copied the contents to the...
  3. Re install MS Flight Simulator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re install MS Flight Simulator: I purchased MS flight simulator disc version shortly after it was released and have enjoyed using it. It was install on s 256SSD which have become full due all the additional upgrades and additional installs. I have upgraded this to 1 1TB ssd and copied the contents to the...
  4. Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF: This printer recently disappeared. When I try to re-install using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: Local port MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 2006-06-21 shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified". Using...
  5. Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF

Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF: This printer recently disappeared. When I try to re-install using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: Local port MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 2006-06-21 shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified". Using...
  6. Re-install MS Flight Sim

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-install MS Flight Sim: I currently have the new version of MS Flight Sim on my computer. If I re-format my computer, will I be able to re-install the Flight Sim via the MS Store without having to pay again?...
  7. Re-install MS Flight Sim

Re-install MS Flight Sim: I currently have the new version of MS Flight Sim on my computer. If I re-format my computer, will I be able to re-install the Flight Sim via the MS Store without having to pay again?...
  8. WMP12 after MS update obliterated it

WMP12 after MS update obliterated it: My Windows 10 x64 system applied a large update last evening. Now, I don't have Windows Media Player 12 any more. Is it possible to get it back? If not, can I rollback the update? 110246
  9. WMP12 + UHD Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WMP12 + UHD Problems: Greetings! I just received my new TV which sports a 3840 x 2160 Resolution and I was just testing some stuff when I already encountered a problem when it comes to watching SOME Video files: Watching the Video File using Windows Media Player 12 in Fullscreen Mode:...
  10. How to re-install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to re-install: We upgraded to Windows 10 on 5 dell notebook computers, but one has had problems since the install. It just doesn't run smoothly, constantly stalls, takes forever to boot/shutdown, and seems to want to constantly update which appears to fix nothing. None of our other...